The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-22-2005, 04:22 PM   #76
mrnoodle
bent

Why does everything have to be "validated" these days? The reason AAVE (any patois, for that matter) is frowned upon is because it's lazy English. I commonly use "fixin' to" when talking about an action I am imminently going to perform. That's because I'm in the habit of doing so, and everyone in my family said the same thing when I was growing up. But if I go to Minneapolis, Philly, or NYC and tell someone "I'm fixin' to go to the Wal-Mart for some peanuts," I would be immediately labelled as a hick.

Guess what? That's okay. I don't care. You sayin you don't want none a these peanuts? Aight.

But if I ever get to the point where my well-being is threatened by some yankee's opinion of my fixin to do's, just take me out and shoot me like a dog.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:22 PM   #77
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of the Ryche
Actually I've found a large portion of the Cellar to be very bright, well educated, and open minded. Just becasue their opinions differ from yours, and they may not have taken as many linguistics couses as recently as you, does not indicate anything to the contrary - It just emphasizes your narrow mindedness for not accepting that yours is not the only version of the truth.
I've been trying to put my perspective, the perspective of the level of linguistics I'm familiar with, across so that someone can say "Yes that makes sense from that perspective".
  • Use of Ebonics/AAVE has negative social connotations.
  • Ebonics/AAVE is used primarily by those of lower socio-economic levels.
  • Ebonics/AAVE has a strong cultural and historic background.
  • Ebonics/AAVE is as valid a language, from a theoretical linguistics perspective, as Standard American English or Hoch-Deutsch or Martian or whatever.

Those are the four points I wish everyone could understand. This thread got kind of out of hand, I'm not even sure where we started out, and I apologize for getting pissy and insulting folks.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:25 PM   #78
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
Get this:

Yet for some reason, they dont have a special grading curve for students in Hill-town, Tennessee, who speak, ... what language again?

I dont understand this.....
Yeah, pretty fucked up, they wouldn't want to hurt anybody's feelings.

I hear that the next initiative is to have Ebonomatics for those that make errors in mathematics because it's not in terms they use at home (no I won't give any of the tasteless examples that pop immediately to mind, involving dime-bags and crack rocks).
Old 08-22-2005, 04:25 PM   #79
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Anon.E.Mouse
Someone in my office just commented that there are "significantly more wars now than ever before." Is this true? I seem to recall reading tat there are fewer "wars" now...

Got any idea? I can't find any information stating whether or not the number of armed conflicts is increasing or decreasing.
Should we add the AAVE/Ebonics War, and call a truce?

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:29 PM   #80
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
Why does everything have to be "validated" these days? The reason AAVE (any patois, for that matter) is frowned upon is because it's lazy English. I commonly use "fixin' to" when talking about an action I am imminently going to perform. That's because I'm in the habit of doing so, and everyone in my family said the same thing when I was growing up. But if I go to Minneapolis, Philly, or NYC and tell someone "I'm fixin' to go to the Wal-Mart for some peanuts," I would be immediately labelled as a hick.

Guess what? That's okay. I don't care. You sayin you don't want none a these peanuts? Aight.

But if I ever get to the point where my well-being is threatened by some yankee's opinion of my fixin to do's, just take me out and shoot me like a dog.
I speak the same way my family does in rural Missouri when I'm back there. I've been in NY for 8 years so I speak, largely anyway, the way they speak here. It helps that since elementary school I've been pretty strongly pressured to develop a Region-Neutral Dialect.

Language is one of the most beautiful things in our world and it sucks to see people shit on the way people tell each other things like "I love you" and "Pass 'da peanut buttah I'm'a fixin' ta' have a sammich".

I'm sorry Mr.Noodle I think I caught an early revision of this post in one of my other replies. Still...good message.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:30 PM   #81
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of the Ryche
Should we add the AAVE/Ebonics War, and call a truce?
I think that's a good idea. I've got an idea for a new thread though so keep your eyes peeled.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:41 PM   #82
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
lookout123 is very nearly illiterate.
lookout123 doesn't understand the concept of context.
i'm not sure which college you are attending, but in most of the more reputable ones they don't teach insulting someone as an effective means of getting your point across. but if you do feel the need to insult me, come up with something better you son of a motherless goat.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:44 PM   #83
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant
  • Use of Ebonics/AAVE has negative social connotations.
  • Ebonics/AAVE is used primarily by those of lower socio-economic levels.
  • Ebonics/AAVE has a strong cultural and historic background.
  • Ebonics/AAVE is as valid a language, from a theoretical linguistics perspective, as Standard American English or Hoch-Deutsch or Martian or whatever.
Pretty much my point. You want to call it a language, go ahead. Just don't mind if I call you a dumb jerk for speaking it. THAT was my point!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:45 PM   #84
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
i'm not sure which college you are attending, but in most of the more reputable ones they don't teach insulting someone as an effective means of getting your point across. but if you do feel the need to insult me, come up with something better you son of a motherless goat.
It's over bud. Anyway, I believe I apologized.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:47 PM   #85
lookout123

i ain't yer bud, bra.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:08 PM   #86
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

http://www.blogthings.com/amenglishdialecttest/

What kind of american english do you speak?

<table style="color: black;" width=400 align=center border=1 bordercolor=black cellspacing=0 cellpadding=2>
<tr><td align="center" bgcolor="#A8FFB3">
<h3>Your Linguistic Profile:</h3>
</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#D9FFD8">
65% General American English</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#A8FFB3">
20% Dixie</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#D9FFD8">
10% Upper Midwestern</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#A8FFB3">
5% Yankee</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#D9FFD8">
0% Midwestern</td></tr></table>

<div align="center">
<a href="http://www.blogthings.com/amenglishdialecttest/">What Kind of American English Do You Speak?</a>
</div>

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:16 PM   #87
lookout123

80% General American English
5% Dixie
5% Midwestern
5% Upper Midwestern
5% Yankee
Old 08-22-2005, 06:17 PM   #88
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

<table style="color: black;" width=400 align=center border=1 bordercolor=black cellspacing=0 cellpadding=2>
<tr><td align="center" bgcolor="#A8FFB3">
<h3>Your Linguistic Profile:</h3>
</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#D9FFD8">
70% General American English</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#A8FFB3">
15% Dixie</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#D9FFD8">
10% Yankee</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#A8FFB3">
5% Upper Midwestern</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#D9FFD8">
0% Midwestern</td></tr></table>

Strange I'm from Missouri and have no Midwestern expressions?

I call Soda/Pop/Coke: Soda or Soda Pop
I say "Catta Corner" or when I'm around the part of my family with a Missourian Drawl I say something kind of like "Catter Corner" or "Catte' Corner" where the ' is a glottal stop.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:23 PM   #89
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

taking this one atm, will edit with results

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?te...02516259233005

Your accent is nothing exceptional; it may be "colorful" or you might just be from Southern California. You also don't catch some grammatical points, and are thus probably one of the people contributing to the death of the subjunctive, which is just as well. More than half of test-takers fall into this category; no one, as of this writing, has scored higher than 85% on the orthophony aspect of the test.

My test tracked 2 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 47% on orthophony

You scored higher than 4% on eugrammacy

Actually, when I wasnt in England, most of my youth was in California and Arizona (which is all Eastern Californian anyways), so I'm not surprised I have a California Dialect.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited by OnyxCougar; 08-22-2005 at 06:37 PM.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:39 PM   #90
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

You scored higher than 13% on orthophony
You scored higher than 69% on eugrammacy