The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #91
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I remember a time I missed a train going to see my friend. They only ran every 45 mins and she was already out shopping. I had to call my Mum from the station (I still lived at home - this is the olden-days) and tell her to pass on a message should my friend call.

She didn't have the sense to do that (bless her). Instead she stuck a note to the wall of the Tube station using her cough mixture. Made me very wary of cough mixture.

I missed the message, but came out of the station to use the payphone across the road - it was smack bang outside McDonalds (not that olden olden-days) and she saw me....
Old 03-28-2007, 12:48 PM   #92
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
How about if two of you are stood in a queue together and talking...?
I don't do it on the phone. I could talk to him directly but I never answer my phone when engaged with business with other people. I think it is rude and disrespectful to the person who is standing in front of you. It sends a signal that your phone call is more important than the persons time you were first dealing with. I ignore calls and keep my phone off most of the time. Most people who know me have stopped calling me on my cell which is just how I want it. If I want to talk to you I will call you when I turn my phone on, when I am done, I turn it off.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:51 PM   #93
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Sorry, but it is kind of rude to assume that because it's your business that those of us whose business it is not can turn off our ears and not listen to what amounts to us to be inane caterwauling.

We are an egocentric society. It's no different than the person who thinks they've got the only car on the road, the jerk who lets doors slam in stranger's faces, the person who spits big old hockers in the middle of the sidewalk, the coworker who cracks every bone in their body during meetings; you are assuming your business supercedes everyone else's business and trumps a modicum of class and awareness of the world around you. It's a "look at me look at me" world and frankly I don't always care to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
Do you camplain at the length of time it takes a fax to be sent, too?
That reminds me of a Rita Rudner joke when she talked about our impatient society and how we'll stand in front of a microwave tapping our feet and looking at the timer and muttering "come on, come on...I don't have all minute!)
Old 03-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #94
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

@merc: no, I mean if two people are stood in a queue talking, then everyone else can hear their conversation and they may be slowed down because they are not concentrating on what they are doing.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #95
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Sorry, but it is kind of rude to assume that because it's your business that those of us whose business it is not can turn off our ears and not listen to what amounts to us to be inane caterwauling.

We are an egocentric society. It's no different than the person who thinks they've got the only car on the road, the jerk who lets doors slam in stranger's faces, the person who spits big old hockers in the middle of the sidewalk, the coworker who cracks every bone in their body during meetings; you are assuming your business supercedes everyone else's business and trumps a modicum of class and awareness of the world around you. It's a "look at me look at me" world and frankly I don't always care to look.
I hear what you are saying, but does that mean if I'm standing in line with my wife, I'm not allowed to talk to her?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:57 PM   #96
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Well, we live in the ME-generation. People are becoming more narcissist. Who do you blame, society or "the person in front of you".
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:57 PM   #97
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
@merc: no, I mean if two people are stood in a queue talking, then everyone else can hear their conversation and they may be slowed down because they are not concentrating on what they are doing.
I have no idea. But that is usually not the case. To listen quietly is easier than conversing.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:08 PM   #98
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I hear what you are saying, but does that mean if I'm standing in line with my wife, I'm not allowed to talk to her?
Hell NO!

That's a point, but I think people talk differently on the phone: louder, more pointed, more expressive, because there aren't facial clues to rely on.

I can't put a finger on why I think so, but it seems different to me. Now stop making points I have no idea how to refute!
Old 03-28-2007, 01:11 PM   #99
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Well, we live in the ME-generation. People are becoming more narcissist. Who do you blame, society or "the person in front of you".

I keep it easy and blame everyone and everything! :p

This article explains the "don't blame me" generation, which covers all our age groups!
Old 03-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #100
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I wear earplugs on long train or coach journeys because the inanity of the conversations drives me crazy. I apologise for this again - I freely admit I am an intolerant person, although I try not to inflict it on the world.

I agree with what Shawnee though - people are louder and more pointed on the phone. You are also less likely to just hear a string of, "yeh, yeh, yeh, nah, naaaaah, ok" if the other person is present.

Quote:
I blame the person in front of me. Get some bloody manners or suffer me tutting quietly behind you!
Old 03-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #101
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Quote:
Not everyone in the world thinks the world revolves around them. I'd rather spend all my time with those who don't, then spend any amount of time around those who do.

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:50 PM   #102
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Who do you blame, society or "the person in front of you".
Since this is the ME-generation, I'm blaming YOU.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:00 PM   #103
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
so freshnesschronic, you asked her why this was happening, and she gave you the answer. clearly you don't like the answer, so my question to you is, do you think she's telling the truth?
Well?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:07 PM   #104
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Well?
Shhhhh, he's busy talking on his cell phone.

By the way, when this thread is at the top the mad face just stares at you from the home page. I get enough mad face around here!
Old 03-28-2007, 02:53 PM   #105
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Hey! I made a me-generation topic in Home Base under "narcissism" so talk about it there, my thread is lonely....jerks.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote