The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #91
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

That "same thing" was what, exactly?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:37 AM   #92
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Calling a woman a slut on the air.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #93
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I was called a slut to my face once.
(sorry, back to some of the original discussion, I've been away)
I felt it was justified.

In hindsight it wasn't. I'd had sex, that was all. My choice of partner was poor (and the sex wasn't good) but the person who called me a slut was hurt and disappointed because he wanted to get jiggy with me and someone else got there first.

The person who has called me a bitch the most is my own mother, who throws in words like spiteful and selfish as adjectives.

Anyway.

I started using contraceptives at 16 for non-medical reasons.
I now have a contraceptive implant, on the NHS, and don't have sex.
I am both a slut and a drain on resources.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #94
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
On a hunch, I did a Google image search for Sandra Fluke. I figured there might be some "motivational posters" about her.

Here's a bit of what I found. The Freepers and dittoheads have been having fun. Rush tells them what to think, and they fall over themselves to follow his lead.

This is just a small sample of what's out there.
Y'know I have conservative friends who are always saying to me 'liberals do the same kinds of stuff'. Maybe I don't go out of my way to look for it, but is there this kind of stuff out there for Coulter or any of the prominent conservative women? Is there any of this out there for a conservative woman whose only claim to fame is giving testimony before Congress? My take on this is that Coulter and other public figures seek attention and are compensated for being public figures. As such, they are more 'fair game', although I would find those pictures offensive even if Coulter were the subject.

I seriously think that the extreme right is better at expressing hatred then the extreme left. That might be my bias, and as a liberal I am willing to be proven wrong.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #95
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Rich, just get outside your norm. There is plenty of hatred posted from ALL sides on most any political page - just read the comments.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #96
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
the subtle difference between a "dick" and a "prick."

I'd say a dick was more passive and apt to allow douchebaggery to occur on his watch, where a prick is more active and deliberate.
God that's apt. Apt!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #97
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Also has everyone forgotten their Classics?

Lysistrata, ladies!

No birth control you say? Ok, no sex for you.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #98
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Cool. Does that mean if I offer a woman birth control she'll have sex with me?

WHY DID I NOT KNOW THIS SOONER?
Old 03-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #99
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

How carefully did you follow this story and how invested were you in it? If you spent more than five minutes concerned about it...

YOU ARE A SLUT

Not a traditional slut, but a political slut! Here's why!

1) There was no actual issue to begin with. The reason why we know this is that it happened at a congressional hearing.

1a) Congress are the biggest sluts in the land. They regularly hold hearings on things they have absolutely no actual interest in or even the ability to change, such as steroids in baseball. Federal legislators think they run everything and are the most important people in the world. The entire point is for concerned "leaders" to have their faces shot on TV looking all concerned. The process is a fake debate and the result doesn't really matter and nothing ever actually happens. It's all just sluttery.

2) Sandra Fluke is a slut. Not a traditional slut, but a political slut. The reason why we know this is that she claimed in front of a congressional hearing that

Quote:
Without insurance coverage, contraception, as you know, can cost a woman over $3,000 during law school. For a lot of students who, like me, are on public interest scholarships, that’s practically an entire summer’s salary."
People took the time to look into this statement and found that it was nigh impossible to spend $1000 a year on contraception. Depo shot = about $600/year, oral contraception = $200-600/year, implant = one-time $800 lasts 5 years, sponge = $4 per event, condoms = $1 per event.

1000 condom uses per year would make Ms. Fluke an actual slut. The simpler explanation is that she's a political slut. It is Not Okay to suggest that someone having enough sex to generate $3000 in contraceptive expenses is a slut... only because everyone on all sides knows full well that $3000 is a carefully-constructed lie, and lying is standard practice in political sluttery. And that's why...

3) Rush Limbaugh is a slut. This is well-understood by all sides. The entire raison d'etre of the Rush Limbaugh Program is political sluttery. It's professional wrestling. It's well-understood to be fake. Even when the show covers actual issues, it does so in as slutty a style as possible and so when the issue is SEX and there is politics, the fake debate will become the show's main concern. And what helps them get a huge audience is the barking opposition...

4) The people claiming outrage over Rush's statements are sluts. They know all of the above, but cannot help jumping into the fray and claiming to be outraged. But there is no actual outrage. Nobody's face is actually turning red over the idea that Rush Limbaugh would call someone a slut. There are no marches planned and even sponsor boycotts are sort of fake. But by the way...

5) The sponsors leaving the Limbaugh program are sluts. They knew when sponsoring the program that Limbaugh was a slut and the entire reason you sponsor it is to gain from sluttery. They made a calculated decision that leaving the show would get them more publicity and interest than staying on the show. Sure enough the first jumpers got a round of coverage and that led to a second round of jumpers trying to get the same coverage. But what they didn't realize was...

5a) The sponsors staying on the Limbaugh program are sluts. The ones staying have done the calculus that their name will now be dragged around and they will gain attention and sales from that. Really well played, Carbonite! And the reason this works is...

6) The Media are all sluts. They know all of the above; they're in the game and they know full well that their job is to get the crowd all worked up for the professional wrestling match. But the only reason they can actually do this is...

7) You are all sluts. You fell for it, because you love it. In the back of your mind you know it's professional wrestling and it's far more fun to play this shit than to actually study issues and think about real issues to debate. It's pretend-productive. It makes you think you're engaged.

~

On a basic level "slut" is just a fake accusation that you are sex-positive. And ironically, if you use contraception, being sex-positive is entirely fine. "Slut" should not be the pejorative term that it is, acting slutty is not even necessarily negative, and BigV has actually marched to defend that principle.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #100
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

The Cellar: Sluts R Us
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote