The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

SlutWalk -- Seattle

I'm going! Who wants to join me?

SlutWalk Seattle
Quote:
Why are we doing this? Because we’ve had enough!

On January 24th, 2011, a Toronto police officer gave some advice that is all too common: “Women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimized.” From an 11-year-old in Texas being blamed for being gang-raped to a teenager in Seattle not being able to file rape charges because witnesses “portrayed the act as consensual,” this line of thought pervades our culture. As long as it seems like the woman might like sex, they’re made to take the blame.
Goddammit!

You have *got* to be kidding me!! There are people drawing breath today who hold such ideas? The Toronto Police officer? I am stunned! Well, fuck that shit.

I'm going.

Google up Slutwalk and look at some of the images on the shirts, on the signs. I'm right there, baby. "Silence is not my consent" "Ask me what I'm asking for" "I was wearing slacks and a sweater, is it my fault too?" "I'm a rape survivor and I'm not gonna stand for this shit" "My clothes are not my consent" "Real men take 'no' for an answer". and on and on. All of you know I have a BelovedDaughter. GOD FORBID she should ever have an experience like this. But it's not about my daughter only. I have sons too, and they need to learn to be real men, taking "No" for an answer. Consent is the key here, well, everywhere. This has been a big hit in many other cities and I'm gonna do my loudest, rowdiest, sluttiest best to draw attention to this fucked up misconception--slut shaming--instead of rapist blaming. Heheh, maybe I'll rent a biiiiig wood chipper and tote it along behind me with a sign "evildoers feet first".

By the way, I just found out that Westboro Baptist Church has also applied for a demonstration permit for the same day, same route.

I am most fucking-A definitely going.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
Rrrraven
Coronation Incarnate

Well...you know I'm going.
Rrrraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:26 AM   #3
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Ha! Excellent. There was a SlutWalk in London as well recently. Shame I wasn't able to go.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Ha! Excellent. There was a SlutWalk in London as well recently. Shame I was too stoned to go.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Good for you V - have a good time and share our thoughts on them with the WBC - nonviolently.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Fess up V, you're only going for the sluts... ain't ya?
Old 06-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I am most fucking-A definitely going.
Make a statement - wear a tube top and Daisy Dukes, and post the pics.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Liz Jones's take on the London Slutwalk, writing for the Daily Mail. Headed: Class is the real problem, sisters - not slutty clothes
My Mum loves her column [gag].

This is from the end of the article, click on the hate Mail link above for pictures and descriptions as opposed to her opinion.

The slut walkers, with their black clothes and gothic make-up, are well educated and fiercely super-confident young women raised by middle-class mothers to expect everything they want from life. They take no prisoners.

They will glide through life, bossing their husbands and bosses, doing exactly as they please.

Quote:
... the brown, over-manicured young women who weren’t on yesterday’s march, who were half a mile away schlepping in and out of Primark and
H&M, might as well have been a million miles away. This demonstration was preaching to the converted.

We all know rape is bad, don’t we? But the other women, the working-class women who have only been taught to shop till they drop will, if not be raped, put up with low-paid jobs and expectations, domestic abuse, bad relationships, debt.

Because what these women are lacking is self-belief, a quality the slut walkers have in droves. There is no sisterhood between these two groups, none.

The super-confident sluts should have been demonstrating outside Topshop, and marching down Oxford Street.

Now that would have been something.

Last edited by Sundae; 06-17-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Make a statement - wear a tube top and Daisy Dukes, and post the pics.
That's an image I didn't really need in my head.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #10
GunMaster357
Professor

Another one ?
Old 06-19-2011, 06:54 AM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

You know many people sneer at Muslims who believe that a woman's hair is her beauty, which is why it should be covered in public and shown only to her husband. And that a woman must dress modestly to be a true believer.

But there are plenty of men out there that don't even have religion as an excuse.
It's always the fault of a woman.
She dressed like a slut, so it was okay to rape her.
She had a drink so she didn't deserve respect.
She's slept with more than one man so she is a whore - no, wait, worse than a whore because she did it for pleasure not money.
She wore a skirt when cycling, therefore she was a distraction to drivers?! WTF?! Seriously, send that policeman on a training course. There are far greater hazards driving in NY than a girl in a skirt. Best turn your siren off in case it distracts cyclists.

I'm in no way a man hater. And I do not, will not and have no intention of associating with the kind of man that has these views. But I am still cross that "society" in general still seems to accept them. Including some women.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

re: the girl in a skirt and the "cop"

Not to put too fine a point on it but she has no proof that what she alleges happened, happened. She does however have some nice free publicitiy for HER BICYCLE COMPANY.

Convenient that she got off with a warning from this spectral cop / PR agent and no hard proof of this phantom encounter.

My bullshit meter was redlining when I read that story.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Good point well made.
My bullshit-o-meter is highly tuned when it comes to UK publications. Partly because I know their individual bias. I'm more naive when it comes to overseas press though. But if she recived a ticket, she will be able to present it surely?

Not retracting any of my comments. just acknowledging they might not be justified in this case.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #14
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

There is absolutely no excuse, none whatsoever, for rape. I do want to add, however, that women should not dress so provocatively if they do not want to be ogled. Example story: My friend once came over to have dinner with me and my sister joined us. My sister was sitting across from my friend. We were eating when my friend said, "Stop staring at my boobs." That's when my sister realized she's been staring at my friend's boobs; she wasn't even doing it on purpose. My friend was wearing a low-cut blouse, had a huge cleavage going because she was going clubbing with some other friends later. Now, if even a woman is drawn to boobs without intentionally doing it, how can you blame a man?
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #15
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Good point well made.
My bullshit-o-meter is highly tuned when it comes to UK publications. Partly because I know their individual bias. I'm more naive when it comes to overseas press though. But if she recived a ticket, she will be able to present it surely?

Not retracting any of my comments. just acknowledging they might not be justified in this case.
Your comments are spot on, sundae. She didn't get a ticket and doesn't know the name of the officer that supposedly warned her.