The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 09-26-2006, 04:36 PM   #91
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

All things considered KC improved this year. They got enough bats to give the team a chance in games. Alas, the pitching was poor as ever.

There's a free download of the Twins (and Tigers and Mets) clinching at MLB.com. Gotta have an account (which is free as in fork over your marketing info) but it looks to be the full games.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:40 AM   #92
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

A's Rich Harden is throwing 97 MPH fastballs and striking guys out. W-L: 4-0, tonight 5 inn 0 runs 1 W. Follow that with Zito's MLB-best curveball Be afraid, be very afraid of the A's!!!!!

Oh, yeah, won the division title, tonight.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:18 AM   #93
W.HI.P
Free

lol at you guys still going on about the a's.
the onl wa the a's will make it to the al final is if they face poor detroit, and even that would be close..
face it, the yankes will represent the american league.
you keep it up and i'll be rubbing i in our face b4 long.

..and what do we see
1]ny yankees
2]toronto blue jays
3] boston red sox

i recall calling that order
W.HI.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:25 AM   #94
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

¿?¿

State major falsehoods about any team and you'll be called on it W.HI.P. Why aren't you rubbing the Angels success in our faces? Now it's going to be the Yankees? Seems to me you're moving the goal posts.

Right now the one team in the league I wouldn't want to face is the Twins. Tigers aren't completely solid, NYY can be beaten, and the A's offense can sleep at times. The Twins have been on task however. As long as their rookie pitching holds up they are the team to beat. It'll be very interesting to see who ends up with the best record in the AL. Yankees and Tigers are tied; at this point even the A's could end up with it as unlikely as that is.

P.S. what's your point W.HI.P? I seem to recall A's, Angels, Rangers, Mariner's for my central picks.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:17 AM   #95
Griff
still says videotape

Is St. Louis gonna blow it?
Old 09-27-2006, 11:43 AM   #96
W.HI.P
Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebediah
¿?¿

State major falsehoods about any team and you'll be called on it W.HI.P. Why aren't you rubbing the Angels success in our faces? Now it's going to be the Yankees? Seems to me you're moving the goal posts..
My call from the very start of the season was a NYM-NYY world series, never have i said otherwise, you can say it otherwise as many times as you want, but the truth is in the sports section in numerous threads i've created here at the cellar.

Regarding he twins, they will go as far as meeting the yankees, no further.
don't get me wrong. I'm no Yankees fan, but we shouldn't get too caught up in who we cheer for with who will actually be in the world series.
In this case I'm refering to the very poor A's team you cheer for.
If you were a tigers fan, i'd tell you the same thing.

The National league is very interesting, although I've called the Mets from the start, I've had doubts throughout the year with all the SP injuries and Wagner being less than he should be, and lets not forget Sanchez being out.
I give an outside chance to the Dodgers, and although not a fan, I will be rooting for them.
Also,if he Astros manage to edge out St.Louis in that pennant race, well...seeing Clemens and Lance Berkman in the world series will be overwhelming. In that case, I'l be a hardcore Astros fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Is St. Louis gonna blow it?
I really hope so.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:54 PM   #97
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

St. Louis looks very shaky but so do the rest of the teams running with them. Pujols saved them again tonight.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:01 PM   #98
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

I never had a qualm with your picking NYM and NYY. In fact you get kudos for it because you are indeed correct. What I draw issue with is your "A's suck" schtick.

As far as Playoffs go I subscribe to the Beane school of thought. It's a crapshoot. In such a short series there is a lot that can happen to cause teams to win or lose. So I don't put too much stock in any team. They all have weaknesses and can be beaten. So don't get too caught up in dismissing teams.

The Mets are the only respectable team in the NL. Doesn't mean they'll win it all however.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:30 PM   #99
warch
lurkin old school

The piranhas are smellin it. Tied for first in their division, for the first time all year.

Twins have the playoff roll and are hungry to take on anyone. With Radke's gutsy 5 innings and the best bullpen in the league, bring on the Yanks. Its go time, Griff!

The games in the dome have been electric. We've got CWS over the weekend to end the season with a bang.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:34 PM   #100
Griff
still says videotape

You didn't just call me out!
Old 09-29-2006, 02:42 PM   #101
warch
lurkin old school

Yuh Huh!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:51 PM   #102
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Warch, I'm interested in who you'd rather see the Twins face. The Yankees, who now may be without Randy Johnson, or the A's who have have better pitching? Or does pitching not even come into it?
Old 09-29-2006, 11:26 PM   #103
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

What are the chances that the A's will play Game 7 in the World Series?

This is a practical question for me, since I have tickets to the Steelers at Oakland game, and if the A's get to WS-7 they bounce the Steelers to Monday Night. My brother, wife, and a friend are all flying into town for that weekend and my bro is flying to Asia on biz Monday noon.

So, go A's but win it in 5!

And, Go Stillers!!!!
Old 09-30-2006, 09:38 PM   #104
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

I'll consult the Beane outlook on the playoffs once again and say: who the fuck knows :P

Whatever happens we'll have to play the Yankees or Twins and both those teams have a chance at winning most games. If the A's manage to make it to the big dance then I'd get concerned. I'd think if nothing else somebody on Craig's list would make use of the Steelers tix.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:55 PM   #105
W.HI.P
Free

So we'll have....

NY Yankees vs Minnesota Twins

and

NY Mets vs LA Dodgers

pedro's out ...could the Dodgers actualy make it to the world series against the Yankees?