Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I did, but it wasn't necessary for me to. It was packaged to be effective in the absence of comprehension. That is the insulting aspect of the 'zinger' format (irrespective of who is doing it--this and ALL OTHER critiques of the process are NOT subject to one party or one candidate only). The 'zinger' isn't a harmless packaging, inconsequentially chosen, it's a purposeful appeal to the lowest common denominator. In the complete absence of any meaningul throught process relating to the subject matter, the 'zinger' strikes up points in the 'win column' which resides in a substance vacuum.

I hate that it is done this way, and I hate that it is effective.

Think of people you know who have 'gotten ahead' in 'office politics' in this manner. These individuals are well-deserved recipients of intense dislike.
In the complete absence of any meaningful thought process on the part of the listener, the impact of the zinger will have been made anyhow, even absent any substance. Look at all the stupid fuckers out there who persist in their ignorance, despite actual substance, that President Obama was not born in the United States or that he is a Muslim. For low information voters like this, communication via zinger is reaching your audience where they are. For high information voters, or thoughtful people for whom substance matters, zingers, pre-emptive "our navy is smaller now than in 1916" or retaliatory "we have fewer horses and bayonets too", it ranges from amusing to insulting.

It works because we humans don't always form our decisions based on facts only, but on many factors, much to tw's dismay, were he capable of feeling dismay. :poke: This is true in office politics as much as it is in national politics. Have you never heard of the saying "A ounce of image is worth a pound of performance"? Sad but true.

How do you change this this kind of dialog from effective to ineffective? Make everyone who's listening smarter and more mature so that playground insults like this are pointless. Make everyone who votes smart about the facts of the issues. Make substance feel more substantial and appearance look less attractive. Noble, worthy and Sisyphean. I will work shoulder to shoulder with you in this effort.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I did, but it wasn't necessary for me to. It was packaged to be effective in the absence of comprehension.
It seems that you're objecting to "style over substance" so strenuously that you are just objecting to style without respect to substance.

The offensive zingers are the ones whose underlying point is false, but they are cleverly worded in such a way that refuting them is too complicated to explain easily. Or maybe they don't actually say anything at all, but they imply things, and the utterer can then claim they never said the implication.

Obama's "zinger" was just a clever way to make a good point, and he explained that point in long form immediately afterward, rather than letting the zinger stand on its own.

And, of course, it could have been cleverer, if he'd picked something other than bayonets, as quibbling over the bayonet count is just as much a way of glossing over the point as is accepting a zinger wholesale, and there is probably another piece of military hardware whose numbers have dropped in the last hundred years.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Y'know, Sarge, whilst your busy getting hot under the collar and generally insulted by things the president never actually said, does this in anyway anger you? :

Quote:
Republicans have voted down legislation that would have established a1bn jobs programme to put unemployed veterans back to work as firefighters and police officers and in public work projects.

They objected to the cost of the bill, which they said violated spending limits agreed to last year in Congress.

Democrats and veterans groups say its cost are fully offset.

The bill, which had bipartisan support in the Senate and would have given priority to post-9/11 veterans whose employment prospects are three points below the national average, fell two votes short of the majority of 60 needed to waive Republican objections.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...down-us-senate

See, now that's fucking insulting.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oh that's an even wider point :p
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Flint
Snowflake

expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

I haven't misrepresented the facts. What concerns me are military cuts with a growing Chinese military and the rise of the Muslim Brotherhood throughout Southwest Asia and Africa. Plus, I feel the current administration has not supported Israel.

More & more unclassified reports are being released on Benghazi. I feel like our core belief of "leave no man behind" was spat upon by our leaders. Remember, this was US soil. How would you feel if foreign extremists burned your state capitol and killed the governor while the military/police stood and watched. Throw into this the conflicting reports that the ambassador was sodomized. Benghazi was the straw that broke the camel's back. I just can't get over that drones were circling overhead feeding live video to situation rooms.

Dana - What you are refering to is an expensive program that is an expansion of the COPS (community oriented policing) Universal Hire. A post 9/11 veteran is hired with the Bureau of Justice Assistance and Department of Justice paying his salary for 3 years and the local government paying his salary for the 4th year. It is a very expensive program that we can't afford. Also, COPS has not been funded or severely restricted on several occasions in more than one administration. Yes, this program would benefit me. However, the US can't afford the debt.

I am not pleased with Romney, but I see him as the "lesser of two evils".
Old 11-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #7
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Throw into this the conflicting reports that the ambassador was sodomized.
this is such massive, idiotic, conspiratorial bullshit, that i would think you'd be far above believing it for a split-second, sarge.
Ambassador Stevens was found in a locked, safehouse-style strongroom in the consulate, having died of smoke inhalation as the building was torched. His attackers never found or confronted him personally. The Libyan civilians who found his body took it immediately to the nearest hospital for medical attention.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
... What concerns me are military cuts with a growing Chinese military and the rise of the Muslim Brotherhood throughout Southwest Asia and Africa. Plus, I feel the current administration has not supported Israel.
This is the part of your post that contains serious and real issues which if you rate them highly in your priorities are valid reasons to support Romney. Please be careful when looking at propaganda pages from angry racists or party hacks painting themselves as ex-military patriots.

I think our Navy is over-built, see China and Iran as over-hyped for the support of the arms industry, think Africa and Asia will have to figure out their own religious nutters while we work on ours, and Obama has got it about right in Israel. So we disagree but I still count you a good decent man and can't wait for Tuesday to be over so everybody can get back to being human.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
More & more unclassified reports are being released on Benghazi. I feel like our core belief of "leave no man behind" was spat upon by our leaders. Remember, this was US soil. How would you feel if foreign extremists burned your state capitol and killed the governor while the military/police stood and watched. Throw into this the conflicting reports that the ambassador was sodomized. Benghazi was the straw that broke the camel's back. I just can't get over that drones were circling overhead feeding live video to situation rooms.
They've been lying to you Sarge.
Quote:
Based on reports he's seen and heard on Fox News, talk radio and elsewhere, Moody is positive that officials watched a live video feed in the White House situation room from an overhead drone as the attack in Benghazi unfolded. He knows that a U.S. Special Operations team was available in Sicily to help rescue the besieged Americans, but wasn't sent. He is sure that President Obama or his aides refused requests to dispatch an AC-130 Spectre gunship that could have mowed down the attackers with its fearsome rotating cannons.

"The bottom line," emailed Moody, whose father was a Democratic U.S. senator from Michigan, "is that [Obama] had the ability to save those four Americans and didn't do it."

Officials in the Pentagon and the intelligence community contend that none of those assertions are true.

In an extraordinary effort to refute them, senior intelligence officials released a detailed timeline Thursday of CIA actions in Benghazi, after trying for weeks to keep the extent of the CIA's presence there a secret. Pentagon officials, meanwhile, disclosed details about military forces they set in motion after learning of the attack.
Read the details.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
I haven't misrepresented the facts.
I don't know about that. He said "we also have fewer horses and bayonets". You've made that out as though he said "the military no longer uses any bayonets at all". Forgive me if I've misinterpreted.

Quote:
What concerns me are military cuts with a growing Chinese military and the rise of the Muslim Brotherhood throughout Southwest Asia and Africa. Plus, I feel the current administration has not supported Israel.
How much do we need to spend? Is spending as much as we do working?
Old 11-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Thanks a lot Spexxy. Now I have to scroll over to the right to see the whole screen.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Ibby - the point of torture is still being reported and has even been brought up in Congress. "Congressman Burton, during a speech on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives on September 14, 2012 dropped a bombshell when he indicated that Ambassador Steven was “tortured” in Libya before his death." Even Snopes says this is undetermined.

I have my beliefs and you have yours. The military is my "hot button."
Old 11-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Name:  granny1.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  9.8 KB

Name:  granny2.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  11.1 KB

Name:  granny3.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  9.0 KB

Name:  granny4.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  10.8 KB
Old 11-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Name:  granny5.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  10.4 KB

Name:  granny6.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  8.5 KB

Name:  granny7.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  23.7 KB

the whole animated gif.

http://schwoozie.tumblr.com/post/34856654876/x
Old 11-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Romney's dog got to ride on the top of the car.

All I got is this silly "I bark for Obama" t-shirt
Attached Images

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote