The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #1111
shina
Hopeful

Memory Keeper's Daughter.
shina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #1112
Cloud

Arrow Darkover

I've been re-reading some of my Darkover books by Marion Zimmer Bradley, and reading some of the newer ones I never got around to.

Darkover holds a special spot in my SF heart. Like many of Anne McCaffrey's books, these are technically called, "planetary romances" rather than straight SF or fantasy.

MZB wrote or sponsored something like 30 Darkover books. They're interesting, because many of them are inconsistent with each other. The premise and science of the books are pretty iffy, mostly because they are based on some of her juvenile writing (that is, written when she was very young, not written for juveniles), but the characters and world are compelling anyway.

Some of the themes are: ethics and composition of a telepathic society; new technology (represented by the Terrans) v. traditional mores; and, of course, being MZB, the position of women.

One of my favorites is Exile's Song and its 2 sequels.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #1113
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Just started David Baddiel's second novel Whatever Love Means. It's already made me spurt out inappropriate laughter in a public place. I've loved his other two and am not disappointed by this.

He's better known in the UK as a stand-up/ TV comedian/ professional football fan. But I've always just seen him as a fanciable, smouldering, semi-Jewish, dirty-but-I'd-go-there, don't-make-me-choose-between-him-and-Frank-Skinner, intelligent older man. Not that I have ever had a crush on him or anything.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #1114
Buffalo Bill
Resident President

Brian Lumley's, Blood Brothers
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #1115
lushchocolateswirl
Hi just me

Just finished James Clavells' GAI JIN
Old 04-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #1116
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
Brian Lumley's, Blood Brothers
What did you think? My Mum cried her eyes out at the musical, not sure which I want to do first... (no spoilers either way please!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lushchocolateswirl View Post
Just finished James Clavells' GAI JIN
Great holiday read - what did you think?
Old 04-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #1117
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I really enjoyed Hillerman. I must have read at least 6.

Terry Pratchett is my favorite. I think I'm caught up with all of Discworld except for the Wee Free Men series. Most of Pratchett's books are themed. Targets include cops, Australians, banks, the post office, space exploration, etc.

And of course you have Death, dwarves, the four horsemen, witches, vampires, etc.

Back to Hillerman. I classify his stories as 'cultural' detective. In his case it's Native American.

Harry Kemelman wrote an interesting series with a Rabbi as a detective. They turned it into a mini-series called "Lanigan's Rabbi". I think I read most of them.

My guilty pleasure has been Janet Evanovich's "Stephanie Plum" novels, where the protagonist is a working class Trenton girl who does bail bonds work and solves mysteries. It's sort of a "Sex and the City" meets "Nancy Drew" meets "Jersey Girl" book. I keep on telling myself it's a detective novel, but deep in my heart I know it's one step from Jackie Collins. BTW, if you read them, stick to the books with numbers in the title "Lean Mean Thirteen", etc. She writes these 'between the numbers' novels that move the character into the fantasy realm (working for Cupid, guys who think they're Leprechauns). Pratchett also write some juvenile fiction mixed in his Discworld series (A Hat Full of Sky). If you go in fully informed, some of its not bad. Isaac Asimov also wrote juvenile fiction (Lucky Starr).

Pratchett, Kemelman, and Evanovich are 'fast reads', books you can take to a pool. Hillerman is a little meatier.

Maybe it's generational, but back in the 60's and 70's, you would go to a pool and every other chair would have a 'summer book'. I remember the 'Rabbi' series, 'The Godfather', etc. I just don't seem to see the same number of books out anymore.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #1118
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
Pratchett, Kellerman, and Evanovich are 'fast reads', books you can take to a pool.
Yes, but Evanovich and Pratchett have a way with words. Pratchett more than most. And to start with they broke the mould. Hillerman's Orthodox Jewish detective (and family) were wonderful for me - I love crime novels and my Mum grew up on the edge of a Jewish community, but I didn't and know nothing about them (you!). It was worth the read for the insight, but they're also fast paced and read-in-one-sitting enjoyable.

Pratchett's early books were mind blowing. There just wasn't anything like them. The original paperback of The Light Fantastic had a quote that said they were Jerome K Jerome meets Lord of the Rings. My Dad didn't know who this Jerome bloke was (neither did I for years) but figured I would like it. I wrote an exam paper on it ("compare 3 books the same genre")

Even now, lines from that and The Colour of Magic (first in book terms, second hitting paperback as far as I was concerned) swim up into my head sometimes.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #1119
rockerreds
Infamous Defamer

Sense And Sensibility
rockerreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #1120
Buffalo Bill
Resident President

[quote=Sundae Girl;445408]What did you think? My Mum cried her eyes out at the musical, not sure which I want to do first... (no spoilers either way please!)

I'm not sur that we're talking about the same book, mine is a book about vampires. Lot of blood and dead peoples, not the best musical.
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #1121
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

it was pretty good. Neil is a great story teller. He narrates his own audio books, and has that comfy vague british accent.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:55 PM   #1122
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
Terry Pratchett is my favorite. I think I'm caught up with all of Discworld except for the Wee Free Men series.
Pratchett also write some juvenile fiction mixed in his Discworld series (A Hat Full of Sky).
I'm just reading "Crivens!" I think the Third Wee Free Men book, I didn't realise it was part of a series and got about a third of the way through before looking it up because of the constant back references. I then found out it's some sort of kids book, hadn't really noticed. "Waily, Waily, Waily is my new catch phrase
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:53 AM   #1123
Cloud

audio books do not count!
Old 04-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #1124
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

They count for Jim, because of the length of his commute.
What do you think LJ? I really enjoyed it, but I'm a big fan anyway.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:54 AM   #1125
Cloud

Found some good kids fantasy books: The Lightning Thief and its sequels by Rick Riordan. Kind of Harry Potterish, 'cept the hero finds out he's a half-blood Olympic hero, son of Poseidon.

Always looking for good books for my voracious reader 9 y.o. grandson and these fit the bill!

Tags
books