The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-05-2007, 10:10 PM   #106
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Well, lad, there's the most visible difference between thee and me. I read ST at thirteen and found it seminal. I've lived my life through an understanding of The Heinlein Lecture. The guy's thinking is libertarian, you know... check out Tramp Royale sometime for his views on visas, passports, and general ID paperwork and paper shuffling.

The other most visible difference between thee and me, were I to post a barechested pic like you did, is I've got more hair on my chest and less on my head -- unless you count the part around my jaws. :p
Old 02-05-2007, 10:12 PM   #107
Ibby
erika

I read it at twelve (and thrice since then, and actually at this very moment reading it again) and thought it was a damn good read, but not a damn good political philosophy.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:24 PM   #108
Urbane Guerrilla

Mmm, this may be. It certainly hasn't been tried out in the form laid out in the book, but that's true of most social science fiction. The particular clue that it's a libertarian global societal setting is that line of Rico senior's: "Laws are few."
Old 02-06-2007, 03:40 AM   #109
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

In ST Heinlein glorifies militarism in an almost apostolic way. Truth is that war is dirty and there's nothing apostolic about it. But then again it's (Science) Fiction, no real blood running, no dismembered bodies, no teared up skulls with scattered brains.

I can imagine that one loves the book at the age of 13, but with the years wisdom and reality should replace idealism and fantasy. I'm afraid you got stuck at that age.

South America, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Mogadishu, Iraq, Afghanistan show how reality is.

And I've said it before, the White House foreign politics have nothing to do with Starship Trooper mentality, but everything with influence and energy sources. So, dream on Professor, dream on...
Old 02-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #110
Ronald Cherrycoke
Master Locutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippikos View Post
So, Vietnam abandonned communism after all, even without the US. Isn't that a pity of the 2 Mio deaths (plus another 1,5 Mio in Laos and Cambodia) for trying to force it from the outside? Same what´s now happening in Iraq (1000 Iraqi's killed this week alone) and might be happening in Iran?

As usual the only thing the US is learning from history that it's not learning from history.

Where do you get those death figures?
Ronald Cherrycoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:37 AM   #111
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

Too lazy to find yourself? Like here..
Old 02-08-2007, 05:39 AM   #112
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Hip, you might need a better link than that one. Even Wiki has a warning on that one.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:03 AM   #113
Urbane Guerrilla

Hippikos, running through everything Heinlein wrote is what might be called The Heinlein Lecture, as evident in ST as in anything else. I respond to the wisdom in The Heinlein Lecture very well. If you can't... well, I can't help you. God couldn't help you.

Having both read Starship Troopers and served two hitches in the military, I find what Heinlein has to say about military service to be quite real, and quite wise -- they compare well. Yattering about "glorifying" the military is mere dronespeak, of nil value. People who've done military, thus committing a portion (or even the entirety) of their lives to the protection of their societies, do not speak as you do, Hippikos.

There are the people who get Heinlein, and there are the groundlings. All I can suggest is more exposure. You'll still be you, Hipp, and not become me -- you'll just be smarter or wiser, is all.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 02-10-2007 at 03:09 AM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #114
Ronald Cherrycoke
Master Locutor

Quote:
Too lazy to find yourself? Like here..

~2,000,000 to 4,000,000 Killed (The Vietnam's Ministry of Labor, War Invalids and Social Affairs released figures on April 3, 1995 claimed that nearly 2 million civilians in the north and 2 million in the south were killed between 1954 and 1975.

Yeah these people are well know for telling the truth....Haaaaaa....Haaaaa...
Old 02-10-2007, 04:38 PM   #115
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Cherrycoke View Post
~2,000,000 to 4,000,000 Killed (The Vietnam's Ministry of Labor, War Invalids and Social Affairs released figures on April 3, 1995 claimed that nearly 2 million civilians in the north and 2 million in the south were killed between 1954 and 1975.

Yeah these people are well know for telling the truth....Haaaaaa....Haaaaa...
Yeah, and you believe McNamara, Kissinger, Nixon, Westmoreland?

Like in Iraq, the US knows exactly how many US soldiers died in Vietnam, but Vietnamese casualties never have been fully archived, 1,5, 2 or 4 Mio, who knows, who carez...
Old 02-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #116
Ronald Cherrycoke
Master Locutor

Quote:
Yeah, and you believe McNamara, Kissinger, Nixon, Westmoreland?

Like in Iraq, the US knows exactly how many US soldiers died in Vietnam, but Vietnamese casualties never have been fully archived, 1,5, 2 or 4 Mio, who knows, who carez...

Yep...the North Vietnamese were always truthful...like keeping their bargains from the Paris Peace Talks?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:37 AM   #117
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

The difference between Vietnam and Iraq

I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:55 AM   #118
Urbane Guerrilla

Hey, in Vietnam the Communists committed many atrocities. In and out of the cities.

This is only news, or seems news, to certain people.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:36 AM   #119
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

In Vietnam, America was actually fighting against someone instead of sitting in the middle...
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:44 AM   #120
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Well, lad, there's the most visible difference between thee and me. I read ST at thirteen and found it seminal. I've lived my life through an understanding of The Heinlein Lecture. The guy's thinking is libertarian, you know... check out Tramp Royale sometime for his views on visas, passports, and general ID paperwork and paper shuffling.

The other most visible difference between thee and me, were I to post a barechested pic like you did, is I've got more hair on my chest and less on my head -- unless you count the part around my jaws. :p
I've read everything he published... it took me a very long time to find it all and read it. Changed me. ST is a great story, there are several more with a similar theme, some more poetic and subtle.
I too felt that places like Portugal have it right... two years compensatory service should be the way, end of story. Freedom is not free.
Don't want to kill? Conscientious objectors get to be in support jobs, there are plenty of them.
BTW, I tried to serve, arthritis kept me out.

I have also read all of Louis L'Amour's work. Another great American Storyteller.