The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-25-2002, 01:15 PM   #106
dave

I'll try it when I get home

Entertainment/Gaming Consoles or, The Dave and VSP Show

Old 04-25-2002, 03:51 PM   #107
perth
Strong Silent Type

i read a rumour somewhere that gta3 would be ported to the gc so i decided i would just wait patiently. after reading all this im not too sure i can wait that long. are there any other must-own games for the ps2? please dont say final fantasy x.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 08:14 PM   #108
dave

Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec is only $20, so you should buy that.

Twisted Metal: Black is only $20 too, so you should also buy that.

Virtua Fighter 4 is pretty tight if you're into fighting games, which I am.

I'm a big fan of Metal Gear Solid, so the sequel was a "must own" for me.

Check out http://ps2.ign.com - basically, anything they give an 8.5 or higher under their "reviews" category is worth owning. Some that are below 8.5 are as well, but it all depends on your tastes.

GTA3 is just awesome.

vsp: When I went to Phil's, the Barracks OL was there but no tank. ?
Old 04-25-2002, 09:45 PM   #109
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

the only time i've seen the tank at phil's was when we did the mission to rescue him, during which we didn't quite have the time to get the tank open. is it there at some later point in the game?
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 10:29 PM   #110
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Well, I just tried it myself with a Staunton Island savefile, and whaddya know, no tank. I know there's one there later in the game -- definitely one when you've beaten the game, because it's unlocked then, but I could swear it's there before then at some point.

However, I will verify a neat little trick you CAN do around Phil's for sure. Go to the docks near Asuka's, and steal a police boat. Steer it north until you're near the barrier. Find a nice low spot, and drive the boat out of the water and up onto the grass.

Now, go get a big vehicle (a Barracks, a Trashmaster, a Bus, etc.) and ram the boat to the other side of Phil's. (You can push it by running into it on foot, but it takes forever.) Once you're on the opposite side of Phil's (and the barrier), push it into the water, and jump in. (Careful -- don't miss and go kersplash.) You can now steer the boat to Shoreside Vale ahead of schedule, and collect hidden packages, etc. In theory, you could have 99 packages before completing a single mission in Staunton Island by doing this. (One is in a location that you just can't reach until you "officially" can get over there.)
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 10:52 PM   #111
dave

Shnifty. I'm on Love's first mission. I should do it, but I've been trying to get an FBI car.

Now, I'm not going to go looking around how to do this. I am, instead, going to plead. You and Paul have gotten them before. I have not. I cannot. I get wasted. Every time. I can get the 5 stars easy. That's no problem. I just get my ass fucking blasted to all fucking hell before I get anywhere near the fucking car. So what's the trick?

In other news, I popped in Virtua Fighter tonight, and though I hate the PS2 controller for fighting games, I'm making it work. Looks like a lot of work to master it though. Oh well. If I get good enough to beat my friends I'll be happy
Old 04-25-2002, 11:31 PM   #112
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

we got our fbi car by doing an asuka mission where the fbi got after us, then waiting until the guys got out of the car, and completing the mission. voila, the fbi guys are gone and you can steal the car because it takes the stars off of your ass. i don't remember which mission it was, though it was at the construction site in fort staunton. anyway, that is how we got ours. it was pretty simple.
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 12:24 AM   #113
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

My method is a little riskier than that, but you can do it any time.

Go into the parking garage, and do things that'll start raising your police record. You know, blow up cars, snipe pedestrians, block traffic with your car and toss a grenade at the pileup, that sort of thing. Once you get up to three stars, rocketing helicopters will ensure a swift ride up to five.

Get in a car (whatever you can find -- a taxi will be fine), and drive through the first-floor entrance closest to the alley leading to the Pay & Spray. Hang a right, and an immediate right down that alley. Don't go full speed; you want at least one FBI car to follow you. Lead it up the ramp and to the Pay & Spray; when they're close, dive into the Pay & Spray to clean your record.

When you exit, the FBI car should still be there. Steal it; it'll probably give you an immediate star or two, but drive IT straight into the Pay & Spray. (Yes, you can spray an FBI car; it's the one law vehicle that you can do that with.) If agents are between you and the back wall of the P&S garage, run over them for the humor value. Repeat until the vehicle is yours and your record is clean, then drive it to your garage and save it. Then, off to the crane!

I am distracted right now, because I downloaded DAPHNE (the laserdisc emulator) and the Cliff Hanger MPEG-2 footage. I haven't played this game in fifteen years, and I doubt I'll get any sleep tonight.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:51 AM   #114
dave

Ah, steal an FBI car. This is some easy task? Like "Yeah, and then just walk on water and it's yours."

I'll try it when I get home. Yeah. Finally, weekend. Time for games. Yes.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:29 AM   #115
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
Ah, steal an FBI car. This is some easy task? Like "Yeah, and then just walk on water and it's yours."

I'll try it when I get home. Yeah. Finally, weekend. Time for games. Yes.
My method and jeni's give you a fighting chance, because you're attempting to carjack it when the FBI agents are at peace with you (zero stars). There's a huge difference between that and when they're machine-gunning you while three other FBI cars are trying to run you over...

For those of us in the Philly area, this time of year is particularly sweet for gaming -- the Philly Classic show (old-school console and arcade games) is tonight and tomorrow in at the Valley Forge Convention Center, and the Allentown pinball show (the largest of its kind on the east coast all year) is next weekend...
Old 04-28-2002, 12:51 PM   #116
dave

Okay. I think that I've made a lot of progress since the other day. I have an FBI car, I've already wasted my bullet-proof Patriot and those death squads are annihilated.

I'm now on Paul's favorite mission, "Espresso-2-Go". It doesn't seem so bad - I'm not too bad on the timed driving missions, especially with a decent car. However - what's the deal with the dots showing up? Do they not show up until I get close to them or what? That's kinda pretty fugging lame.
Old 04-28-2002, 05:56 PM   #117
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

You wasted your BP Patriot? Too bad. It's a nice vehicle for the last mission (though not necessary) and for D-Ice's first mission (which is a real pain in the ass), plus it makes the run-over-Cartel-members-by-the-Airport rampage a snap.

The dots do tend to pop up at the last minute. However, they're in the same locations every time, AND the timer doesn't start until you nail the first one, giving you all the time you need to scope them out and plan out a route of attack. (I recommend starting with the one at the Hospital in Shoreside Vale and finishing with the one in Saint Mark's, but you can do it going the other direction, too.)
Old 04-28-2002, 06:57 PM   #118
dave

I think this is what Paul and Jen were talking about regarding "marking the map".

The map is in my head; I do this mentally. I guess I'll just need to find them all though.

Yeah, the Patriot got wasted after I went to the construction site and ran over a trillion Cartel fools. It got blowed up when I was trying to get out.

'sallgood, I'll make do with what I've got. Or I'll start the game over again and play through it with more brains and more completely. Though I haven't lost any weapons yet. Wahoo.

I'm guessing Donald Love doesn't come back? I liked him. Hehe.
Old 04-28-2002, 08:00 PM   #119
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
I'm guessing Donald Love doesn't come back? I liked him. Hehe.
Well... there IS a sequel on the way. Perhaps Ray won't be the only one who'll "see you in Miami!"

Optimistic release date is October.
Old 04-28-2002, 08:50 PM   #120
dave

Hope the sequel hits Xbox as well. GTA3 could look so much better if they harnessed it.