The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-19-2003, 11:40 AM   #106
dave

I, uh, see what you're saying, but I feel the point had to be made: personal attacks are not appropriate. It was extreme (and I don't actually find his daughter ugly), but if he wants to go there, I'm willing to accomodate.

(You'll notice that I questioned his credentials for making a statement like that but did <b>not</b> get personal until he did.)
Old 11-19-2003, 11:45 AM   #107
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'm not questioning your making a personal attack, just so long as it's against the person with whom you are actually having the discussion/disagreement.

Your personal attacks tend to be rather amusing and inventive, and are an essential part of your personal charm and character.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 12:04 PM   #108
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
charm and character
Dave, I think you've found your tagline for the week.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:51 PM   #109
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Dave, I also disagree with Juju's statement. However, I don't think he was coming across as him playing the expert.
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Also, insulting his daughter and saying you didn't escalate until he did is ludicrous. He tageted only you, you aimed elsewhere. Insulting a persons family member is beneath you. What's more, insulting a child demeans you. It's an attack on someone completely incapable of defending itself. I know you're better than that. So, the question is why does Juju in particular piss you off so much? I've seen you come down on a lot of people around here. Never like you've come down on Juju of a few occasions. Now, insulting his newborn? What's up?
Old 11-19-2003, 11:02 PM   #110
dave

juju and I have been through this dance about a hundred times before. If you had any idea of the history and some of the things he's said to me, it would make a lot more sense.

The point is not "His daughter is ugly." The point is to be extreme. He took a discussion and turned it into "you're pathetic", which was an escalation that I did not appreciate. I returned fire. If juju wants to go on the personal, then I will too. I have stated it many times before, and nothing is going to change that. Whether or not I went "too far", I don't care. The conversation got back on track mighty fucking quick, didn't it?
Old 11-19-2003, 11:12 PM   #111
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Hmm, intersting... but I'm not buying. I've seen you hit people harder than he hit you more times than I care to think about. Also, people have said far worse and you've never resorted to that kind of tactic.
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I suppose part of my confusion comes from everyone, except you, that I've spoken to from this board thinks the guy is pretty mellow. He's definately a sore spot for you. I was just wondering why.
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Though, I must qualify that he seems to like pissing you off.
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Hey Juju, I've asked Dave why you piss him off. Why do you namecall Dave when I don't think you've done so to any one else on the board? (with the possible exception of Radar)
Old 11-19-2003, 11:18 PM   #112
dave

Well, I'm glad I don't have to justify myself to you then.

Donald knows better. He caught me in a mood where I was not feeling like putting up with any of his shit. If he wants to play, I'll play. It's as simple as that. Whether or not you "buy" it is irrelevant. It happened, it changed the course of the conversation, and it's been made clear, in no uncertain terms, that I will fire back. If it means that one fewer pair can keep from trading ad hominem blows, hooray.

Would you rather I said:

Here's another opinion: I think <b>you're</b> pathetic, and with your pizza slinging job, you're going to have a hard time providing for that family of yours, almost guaranteeing that your daughter grows up as fucked up as you are.

Is that better?
Old 11-19-2003, 11:18 PM   #113
dave

(What I mean by "Is that better?" is "If I apologize for the remark about his daughter and change my original posted opinion to that, will you shut the fuck up?")
Old 11-19-2003, 11:20 PM   #114
dave

('Cause that's all I really want, so I can stop reading this thread and get back to my intense dislike for the other retards on the Cellar.)
Old 11-19-2003, 11:22 PM   #115
dave

Oh, and I should clarify that I actually like juju a whole lot when he's not being a fuckface. He <b>is</b> pretty mellow when he's not starving himself. I guess he just disappoints me when he lashes out like that, because like I said, he knows better. I try to whip him into shape.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:24 PM   #116
dave

To further clarify, it probably annoys me more when he does it because I want to like him, but when he's a dick to me, I've found that the quickest way to get him to stop being a dick is to smash him to pieces with verbal attacks. I want to have actual <b>discussions</b> with him, and his personal attacks get in the way. Whereas with LUVBUGZ and OnyxCougar, I know they have nothing valuable to add, so I don't hit them as hard.

It's a corrective action.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:34 PM   #117
juju
no one of consequence

I don't the 'pathetic' comment was an escalation at all. It was simply meant as a characterization of his attitude in the immediately preceding post. I felt he was very rude, and I think it's rather pathetic that he feels he needs to communicate that way.

I'm not interested in 'escalating' or 'one-upping' him. My ego doesn't rely on that. But I do stand by my statement.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 11:35 PM   #118
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by dave

It's a corrective action.
-OR-

advanced asshat rehab
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 11:45 PM   #119
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
I don't the 'pathetic' comment was an escalation at all. It was simply meant as a characterization of his attitude in the immediately preceding post. I felt he was very rude, and I think it's rather pathetic that he feels he needs to communicate that way.

I'm not interested in 'escalating' or 'one-upping' him. My ego doesn't rely on that. But I do stand by my statement.
Well, whatever dude. If you need help putting her through college, let me know. I've always got miscellaneous chores that need to be done.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:05 AM   #120
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
Well, whatever dude. If you need help putting her through college, let me know. I've always got miscellaneous chores that need to be done.
Just a forewarning... If he asks you to polish his knob, it's not what you think! Don't ask, don't ask.