The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-25-2006, 01:18 PM   #121
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
I'm glad jordan always addresses the issues and debates rationally about the points raised instead of resorting the vitrol and profanity of an agape cavernous anus...

By the way, can you point me to the vitrol and profanity in "There is no non-bigoted reason to oppose gay marriage.", I keep looking but end up back an agape anus.
Back on page one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
Let's look at some of the new texts for this fall's second graders:

Daddy likes it up the ass
Pappa's Prolapsed Rectum
Daddy loved sucking dick more than he loved me; (that's why he's all crusted over with Kaposi's Sarcomas)
One Dick, Two Dick, Big Dick, You Dick
Dykes on Tikes
The Fag in the Bag who wants to Shag
My Secret Friend who Lurks in the Restroom
The Leering Queer who gave me Beer
The voice of calm, unbiased reason.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:25 PM   #122
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
Is Cinderella actually read loud in schools?
Probably, but irrelevant. I just picked it at random as an example of a classic story with what could be termed heterosexual romance.
Quote:
And I never said the princes book was indecent, so I can't answer your question, HM. I haven't read it, so I don't know if it is or not.
Me either, which is why I phrased it as a hypothetical - assuming they are equal in romantic/sexual content except for the genders of the participants, what makes one worse?
Quote:
My point remains that it is up to the majority of each individual community to decide what is best for that community's school curriculum. (curriculi?). And I don't think that my kids should have to be forced to listen to a book that I as the parent feel is inappropriate.
OK, so you won't say indecent, so let's use your word. What makes one inappropriate and the other fine?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:34 PM   #123
Munchkin
Colloquialist

Unfortunately, the parents arent usually the ones that have a say in the curriculum. It is the school board the state and the administration. Parents can get angry, and approach these people...but its not a majority rules situation. Of course the majority can vote out the currernt board members, but they cant do much about the administration... the state either, unless they vote out all of their reps. Its unfortunate, but in public schools, the curriculum is about what is best to teach these kids before we turn them loose on society, not about the preferences of the parent. That is why parents have the option to send their child to private school. I know it is costly, and it is not an option for many. But that is just the sad state of the world today. You can also home school your child.
Munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:42 PM   #124
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
If my kids aren't in the public school system, why should I have to pay for it?
Dunno...but when I needed to put Daughter #1 in a private school for a while to protect her from bullying, the tax people were very sticky about refunding any taxes because of it. If you want something different from government-issue education, it costs extra.

And somehow I don't think the Norristown Area district is going to let me stop paying once Daughter #2 graduates; based on the 10% increase in next year's preliminary budget they already have that money spent and then some.

If you want to go to an all-private education system, I certainly won't oppose it. But you'll have to explain it to the parents who beleve they have a right to have you pay for it.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:48 PM   #125
jaguar
whig

OnyxCougar: I don't own a car, why should I pay for roads? I my house has never burnt down, who do I have to pay for those damn firefighters. Haven't needed surgery for a while either, damn surgeons on easy street with my tax dollars.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:17 PM   #126
twentycentshift
change three times

is it just me, or is anyone else having a hard time following what jordon is saying?

i'd like to discuss this issue with himher, but i can't figure out specifically what he/she's all about. no, i think i do know what he/she's all about, but i can't make any sense of what he/she's saying.

is it just me?
twentycentshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:29 PM   #127
jaguar
whig

no, it's what happens when a bigot tries to appear reasonable.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:38 PM   #128
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentycentshift
is it just me?
No, it's not just you. Jordon hasn't said anything concrete yet, just a random talking point followed by picking apart the style rather than substance of responses and complaining about percieved hypocracy. Rinse, repeat.

He's answered direct questions only twice, both times to beg the question.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 04-25-2006, 04:01 PM   #129
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Probably, but irrelevant. I just picked it at random as an example of a classic story with what could be termed heterosexual romance.
Actually, it is irrelevant, since that is the story you're comparing it to. (I've also seen Snow White thrown around as an example.)

I don't think I was ever read "Cinderella" or other fairy tales in a school setting. All that was courtesy Disney, not read to me in school.

And, without trying to derail... Disney and DVD's et al are being used by far too many parents as babysitters.

My point remains that I don't mind if the book is available in the library but I don't feel it should be read to a child that is forced to sit there and absorb it. This is indocrination defined.

Quote:
Me either, which is why I phrased it as a hypothetical - assuming they are equal in romantic/sexual content except for the genders of the participants, what makes one worse? ... OK, so you won't say indecent, so let's use your word. What makes one inappropriate and the other fine?
My religious beliefs put me at odds with many things society (nowadays) accepts. Some of these are: homosexuality, abortion, and evolution. I don't believe it's right, I don't believe it should be force fed to my child, I don't care who pays for it.

If everyone is paying for it, then everyone should have a fair and equal say. If I don't want my child forced to listen to a book featuring homosexual behavior, then I will pull my child out of school that day.

Why is that so terrible?

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:18 PM   #130
rkzenrage

I just don't understand what is wrong with teaching kids the truth... a truth most of them already know about and all of them will know very soon anyway?
It is just silly, isn't that what TEACHERS are supposed to do?
Send them to private school if you want to control what is taught.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2006, 04:26 PM   #131
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
My point remains that I don't mind if the book is available in the library but I don't feel it should be read to a child that is forced to sit there and absorb it. This is indocrination defined.
Indoctrination of what? The "doctrine" that Gay People exist?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:46 PM   #132
Jordon
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon
"I hate people.

ESPECIALLY bigoted, prejudicial, discriminatory, twisted people. Which someone would HAVE to be to discriminate like that against ANYONE for ANY reason, whether it be sexual orientation, race, creed, or anything else."

"Children can adapt,.... if a hetro feeling little kid can make friends with another hetro feeling kid with gay/lesbian parents./// what the fuck.

Should a white kid not make friends, or happen across literature that talks about some mixed married kid having white superior parent fucking and being in love with a member of the lowsome minority race?"

"The fact is that recent studies show that homophobia is based in repressed homosexual tendencies.

Please don't infect kids with your sickness."

"If somebody thinks their kids shouldn't be exposed to the public, maybe they shouldn't be in a public school. There's plenty of "Christian" "academies" founded on creationism, homophobia and other equally wholesome precepts.

Just don't ask me to pay for it."

"If the christian parent has a bias against islam let them talk about it
... will they?
Fuck no. The parent has an agenda... MY WAY or the HIWAY."

"and no, you fuckface bigots, it doesn't mean Im gay"

"There is no non-bigoted reason to oppose gay marriage."

All this on just the first three pages. Hypocrisy much?
All of this was thrown at me before I typed a single hostile word to anyone. You toss that at me, you get it shoved right back down your throats.

It's so telling that morons here still think I'm Christian when I've stated twice that I'm not. Eveyone is so eager to lynch Christians, and then turn around and claim the moral high ground. Just keep your fag garbage away from children and we'll all be fine. Keep pushing it, and we'll have incidents that will make it look like Mathew Shepherd got off easy, and you'll have no one to blame but yourselves.
Jordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:53 PM   #133
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Actually, it is irrelevant[sic], since that is the story you're comparing it to. (I've also seen Snow White thrown around as an example.)
By me. I was purposely using a different story each time because the particular story wasn't relevant, just the fact that hearing that story "exposes" children to "heterosexuality" if you apply the same reasoning to it. I also used Rapunzel. I may have used Cinderella twice, though, since I didn't have a copy of Grimm's handy.

When children hear that Snow White and Prince Charming lived happily ever after, they don't think about sex. When Cinderella and Prince Charming live happily ever after, sex doesn't come up. But if it's two Prince Charmings, suddenly the kids are being exposed to something sexual?
|_______________| [pics]
Old 04-25-2006, 04:54 PM   #134
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon
Keep pushing it, and we'll have incidents that will make it look like Mathew Shepherd got off easy, and you'll have no one to blame but yourselves.
The end. No longer a worthwhile conversation.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 04-25-2006, 05:28 PM   #135
twentycentshift
change three times

i agree with that monkey.....sounds to me more like a threat of violence than a worthwhile discussion. the word "fag" followed by a reference to the violent murder of a homosexual man sounds more like hate-mongering than any kind of reasonable argument.

does anyone here know if this jordon person is likely to be capable of violence? this sounds too close for comfort. if i were in any way in charge of monitoring this forum, i would be alerted to the "call to violence" that i read in jordon's post.
twentycentshift is offline   Reply With Quote