The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-14-2004, 04:52 PM   #121
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
So, what DO you want, HP? were you hoping we'd all just say " you did the right thing, good job" ?

What would have to happen for you to be appeased?
Obviously some will disagree with me, and that's good... it provides different perspectives. If everyone disagreed with me strongly, I'd be worried. But as I expected, I'm getting mixed results. But in the end, I will do what I think is right, whether advice here swayed my views or not.

What do I want? I just want Troy's superior to know what Troy did, and respond in whatever way he deems appropriate. I sent the letter to get their attention, and they responded, so I sent a last, brief reply to Troy and his superior, including the text of Troy's e-mail in case his superior wasn't BCC'd on it. I also turned down the free passes, to illustrate that I was not motivated by a desire for free shit. I am now pretty confident that his superior is aware of what happened, so I let it rest there. Like I said several posts ago... it's done, it's over. That is, unless they decide to follow up on it or something, which I doubt.

If your question is meant to explore why I still seem irritated about the events, it is because although Troy grossly mistreated my wife and I-- loyal customers-- I suspect he got little more than a hand-slapping over this. He got away with being an asshole in a profession which shouldn't tolerate that, and in the end, my wife and I had to eat the shit sandwich. Maybe I'm wong, maybe he's been written up and is now on probation or something, but I suspect not. Either way, I've ended my efforts, as I stated.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:54 PM   #122
warch
lurkin old school

I'm interested in this depth.

I assert that a healthy psyche MUST value the input of others, though the weight given to any outside opinion should vary depending on the source's trustworthiness, awareness of key facts, state of mind, etc. Society is the product of opinions, and society gives us a yardstick against which to measure our success, allowing us to strive for improvment. Everybody wants to have value.

I think a healthy psyche has to first and foremost be solid in the inalieable constant of it own value, by virtue of being alive, regardless of outside opinion. And I'm finding that the outside opinions and yardsticks, no matter how trustworthy or loving, are never going to ever give me a reading I find meaningful, really, truly.

I think one's hot buttons are tied to those personal traits which one holds most valueable, because for another person to question those traits is to risk losing one's perceived value. Basically, for the benefit of my own self-worth, it is important to me that I am trusted... so to question my integrity triggers a strong defense mechanism.

I'm finding that my hot buttons are tied to ideas or actions that threaten my secure sense of myself. They threaten to expose a deep fear or reveal some emotion that can be uncomfortable to deal with. Sounds corny, but for me, its growing past the protective defense reflexes learned as a kid. I'm tougher than that now.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 07:41 AM   #123
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
But it was still as a consequence of her own stupidity.
[rant]That's the weird part of this case to me. McDs was not in a position to judge her competence to handle a hot cup of coffee (of course they'd be sued for descrimination if they refused to serve anyone). However, the driver of the car who ordered and handed the coffee to her and allowed her to put the coffee in her lap rather than in a cup holder (if available) would seem to carry most of the blame... Knowing the way our society has turned from individual responsibility, McDs law dept should have prevented the whole thing by making them sell cool coffee in the first place. Who at the Arches made the final call on coffee temp? If McDs is liable (big if) then the individual who made the call is responsible, but its not about responsibility, its about money. Well, at least Jonathon Edwards will never be POTUS.[/rant]
Old 01-15-2004, 10:20 AM   #124
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

Quote:
i'm not trying to belittle your reaction, alan. I'm just saying that it shouldn't matter to you that much. meaning that if you carry your anger about this, your load is heavier. I think you did the right thing in arguing with troy instead of being intimidated, and I also think it was wise to alert his superiors, but beyond that, you're just spinning your wheels. let it go...deep breaths......in....out.....in...out.
nope. it SHOULD MATTER. that's the problem with us. we've grown into this culture of rudeness, disrespect, hateful humanity doesn't matter any more. it SHOULD MATTER. alan is doing exactly what EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US should do....standing up, being firm, saying, NO! i will not go gentle.

go, alan.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:28 AM   #125
darclauz

Quote:
Originally posted by Beestie
Originally posted by jinx

And I'm supposed to feel sorry for her? How's that?
yeah...she has a body part that she wasn't even USING anymore, and now she has three million dollars to buy it jewelry.

hell, she should feel sorry for ME.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:31 AM   #126
darclauz

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
I don't think you're overreacting.

But there is one important thing to remember, which I believe I have the experience to impart, based on my 7 years of service in retail.

The employees at the theater don't care about you. They will never care about you, or your petty problems, and you can't make them.

So, I think your rage is completely justified. But realize that after a certain point, your efforts are fairly pointless.
unless you BRING something with a point to the theater.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:36 AM   #127
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by darclauz

nope. it SHOULD MATTER. that's the problem with us. we've grown into this culture of rudeness, disrespect, hateful humanity doesn't matter any more. it SHOULD MATTER. alan is doing exactly what EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US should do....standing up, being firm, saying, NO! i will not go gentle.

go, alan.
Alan did what he should have done by standing up to the bastard on the spot, then writing to his superiors to alert them to his behavior. i was saying that beyond that, his efforts seemed fruitless or worse.

oh, and the old lady only wound up with 480K after the appeal.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 10:40 AM   #128
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Alan did what he should have done by standing up to the bastard on the spot, then writing to his superiors to alert them to his behavior. i was saying that beyond that, his efforts seemed fruitless or worse.

I didn't get one red cent. And don't call me an old lady.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:15 PM   #129
darclauz

Quote:

yeah, well, 480K would still change MY life......... or am i the only one on the cellar that feels this way?
Old 01-15-2004, 01:23 PM   #130
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

would you rather have your health or $480K and what's behind curtain #1:

Quote:
McFact No. 3: The woman involved in this infamous case suffered very serious injuries - third degree burns on her groin, thighs and buttocks that required skin grafts and a seven-day hospital stay.
Quote:
Reports also indicate that McDonald's consistently keeps its coffee at 185 degrees, still approximately 20 degrees hotter than at other restaurants. Third degree burns occur at this temperature in just two to seven seconds, requiring skin grafting, debridement and whirlpool treatments that cost tens of thousands of dollars and result in permanent disfigurement, extreme pain and disability to the victims for many months, and in some cases, years.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:35 PM   #131
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

What if she used the cup holder J -- because then, if the coffee spilled, the people who sold her the car could be included in the suit.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 01:40 PM   #132
jinx
Come on, cat.

She didn't get as far as the cup holder. She wasn't driving. The car wasn't in motion.
She was handed a cup of coffe and she was attempting to put cream and sugar in it - as provided. She was using the product correctly and it burned her twat off.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:45 PM   #133
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

ok, now you're just egging me. but, I'll bite anyway.

IF the cupholder was defective, and IF the court was to award for that defect, it would be the MANUFACTURER, not the poor, abused car salesman who was just trying to feed his family when he sold her the car at practically no profit, and almost lost his job over the deal he gave her.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:47 PM   #134
wolf
lobber of scimitars

UNLESS the only reason that she purchased the car was the saleman's promotion OF the cupholder particularlly, which he went so far as to describe as "spillproof" ... verbally warranting what the manufacturer does not.

It's all the salesman's fault.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 01:48 PM   #135
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by jinx
She didn't get as far as the cup holder. She wasn't driving. The car wasn't in motion.
She was handed a cup of coffe and she was attempting to put cream and sugar in it - as provided. She was using the product correctly and it burned her twat off.

aaahhh, that thing prolly looked like an old wallet anyway.