The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No Ho's in Australia

Quote:
SYDNEY (AFP) - Santas in Australia's largest city have been told not to use Father Christmas's traditional "ho ho ho" greeting because it may be offensive to women, it was reported Thursday.
Sydney's Santa Clauses have instead been instructed to say "ha ha ha" instead, the Daily Telegraph reported.

One disgruntled Santa told the newspaper a recruitment firm warned him not to use "ho ho ho" because it could frighten children and was too close to "ho", a US slang term for prostitute.

"Gimme a break," said Julie Gale, who runs the campaign against sexualising children called Kids Free 2B Kids.
"We are talking about little kids who do not understand that "ho, ho, ho" has any other connotation and nor should they," she told the Telegraph.

"Leave Santa alone."

A local spokesman for the US-based Westaff recruitment firm said it was "misleading" to say the company had banned Santa's traditional greeting and it was being left up to the discretion of the individual Santa himself.
A Santa without Ho's, is like a day without sunshine.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
A Santa without Ho's, is like a day without sunshine.
Go to Iran where there are no gays. Is happiness gone all over the world?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

This was on the news the other night. What a load of crap. As if Santa's are going to stop saying ho ho ho.

God some people are stupid.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
What a load of crap. As if Santa's are going to stop saying ho ho ho.
Well is Santa were to say, "Ha Ha Ha", then would Santa be guilty of making a political statement?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
Aliantha

I don't see how, and what would be the point anyway. He should be saying ho ho ho.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
Aliantha

btw, it's not all Santa's in Sydney, and they don't have to say ha ha ha. It's one santa company that decided to suggest this course of action on the advice of some loopy liberal twit.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
tw

Quote:
btw, it's not all Santa's in Sydney, and they don't have to say ha ha ha. It's one santa company that decided to suggest this course of action on the advice of some loopy liberal twit.
Or maybe Aliantha cannot laugh at the triviality. It is not about 'liberal' or 'conservative'. It's about something irrelevant now suddenly rocketed into wacko extremist political opinion.

Aliantha - your opinion may have had credibility if it was limited to facts. But you reasoning exposes judgment based in 'wacko liberal' or 'wacko conservative' justifications and accusations. That makes you no different from them.

It is funny to watch and to play wacko extremists. Those who see things in terms of 'liberal' or 'conservative' are far down the political string - flaying at each other. Where do the more intelligent people lie. Higher up the string is where moderates instead use the perspective of facts. Laugh at the hypocrisy of those who justify with hate. Hate? Those who judge in terms of 'liberal' or 'conservative'.

It Santa was to shout "Ha Ha Ha. Happy Holidays", apparently Aliantha would take offense. I am amused. Especially because someone would view it in terms of "some loopy liberal twit". To me, that is no different from "some loopy conservative twit". Either way, it is trivial and based in low intelligent poltiical bigotry.

BTW, Happy Holidays.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
Aliantha

You're an idiot sometimes tw.

I think the whole thing is idiotic. Laughable even if you want to put it that way, and it is based in left wing 'oh let's worry about how girls will feel about hearing the word ho, even if it is coming from a childhood figure who most people relate to'. It's just plain idiotic.

If you think it's funny that people would come up with such tripe then maybe you should have a look at where the world is heading.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:21 PM   #9
tw

Quote:
You're an idiot sometimes tw.
I said exactly what I am doing. I don't lie. Just priming the pump. Interesting what comes up.
Quote:
... it is based in left wing 'oh let's worry about ... If you think it's funny that people would come up with such tripe then maybe you should have a look at where the world is heading.
And who did just that five years ago? Who identified wacko poltical extremists that even created a disaster called "Mission Accomplished"? A disaster created by those who see a world in terms of 'liberal' and 'conservative' agenda - also called intolerance. Politial bigotry that promotes hate.

Apparently you did not get the joke. "Happy Holidays" - a specific reference to how 'wacko extremist intolerance' promotes hate especially during Christmas.

Jesus Christ, Aliantha. You see. I just "put the Christ back in Christmas". Clearly I must also hate that Christmas decorations are already up. How dare they impose their religion on us. Or maybe I just don't care whether Santa says "Ha Ha Ha" or "Ho Ho Ho". It's their Santa. They can say what want.

But where can I get my own $200 a night Santa? A little Jack Daniels and a $200 Santa. Save the tw; save the world - a reference to all those extremists who see 'evil liberals' everywhere. Damn. Another empty bottle.

I see where the world is heading - and what you post scares me slightly. It promotes hate and intolerance. And it is not based in facts; only in a poltical agenda.

Last edited by tw; 11-15-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
Aliantha

flaps!
Old 11-15-2007, 09:30 PM   #11
tw

Quote:
flaps!
You really need to get a better pilot who can the runway.

Or some logic to justify your opinions. Do they shoot Santa's in your country? We only shoot students and cops.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:28 PM   #12
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Can what the runway?

The whole idea is absurd beyond tolerance, and the one responsible for it should be quietly laid off or transferred to some job that doesn't involve policymaking.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:46 PM   #13
LJ
i am myself

this is a great example of the media being part of the problem. this is not news. this is bullshit.
LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:21 AM   #14
Aliantha

That's what I said!

Flaps!!!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:26 AM   #15
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

IMHO the silliest part is that Australians almost never use the word "ho". We may call them whores, pros, sluts, sex-workers (polite) or even hookers, but ho is very rare. The only exception is teenage males who ape the American urban gangsta image. But they're (a) try-hard wannabe fakes and (b) unlikely to be visiting Santa anytime soon.