The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Ammo, Lead, and Hunting

It's that time of year folks! While searching for cheap ammo I discovered this site
http://huntingwithnonlead.org/index.html which is all about hunting without lead. I always assumed that the lead fragments were fairly localized and noticeable.

Apparently not. Xrays and CT scans of game meat show a cloud of lead specks several inches beyond the wound and wound channel. A lot of stuff has been written about lead and Condors dying from eating lead in game and fish. We all know that Condors are assholes, just like their friends, the owls. I, however, despite being an asshole myself, don't want to eat any lead. So I started looking into copper solid and lead free ammo.

There are some cool rounds out there that have excellent ballistics and weight retention (95%) and consistent expansion of 1.8 - 2 x.

Then I found this awesome ammo search engine: http://ammoseek.com/

you enter your variables, caliber, weight, manufacturer, etc. and it displays all the places selling the ammo and the prices, with links to the site's page.

Thinking of using either the Remington Copper solid .308 165 or the Federal Vital Shock with the Barnes Triple Shock X, on left. Remington copper solid on right.

X Ray shows backstrap riddled with lead fragments. Taget shows three shot group, 2" high @ 100 yds.
Attached Images