The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:48 PM   #1
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Google Earth Now Runs Only On Chrome? Did I Read That Right?

My ancient version of Google Earth finally stopped working, like they told me it would, and I went to (guess) Google to be forced to use something I didn't need or want.

Guess what?

I can't have the fucking thing at all now. Their page says it only runs on Chrome now.

I guess I should come outta my cave every now and then cuz that blew my fucking mind.

Did I read that right? You'll run it on a browser you fucking hate or you won't have it all.

I ain't doing it. I'm drawing a line. This is my hill.

I'm happy w/Firefox, and I'm not downloading Chrome just to look at aerial pix a few times a year. I'll get by with GoogleMaps, if it still works for the non-Google-ade drinkers. I'll just have to click eleventeen things off the fucking screen every goddamn time I use it.

Everything gets worse. Nothing gets better. And nothing else is gonna get better, either.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:09 PM   #2
glatt

Go to ninite and download it from them. They have the most recent version.

You can still run it on your machine and not through Chrome. Google is trying to trick you.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:21 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Their page says it only runs on Chrome now.
Their page says Google Earth 9 only runs on Chrome for now, other browsers to be added shortly. You can run 7.3 which is Google Earth Pro.

Quote:
Google Earth Pro
Google Earth Pro was originally the business-oriented upgrade to Google Earth, with features such as a movie maker and data importer. Up until late January 2015, it was available for $399/year, though Google decided to make it free to the public. Google Earth Pro is currently the standard version of the Google Earth desktop application as of version 7.3. The Pro version includes add-on software for movie making, advanced printing, and precise measurements, and is currently available for Windows, Mac OS X 10.8 or later, and Linux.

Google Earth 9
Google Earth 9 is a version of Google Earth first released on April 18, 2017, having been in development for two years. The main feature of this version was the launching of a new web version of Google Earth, which is currently only available for Google Chrome. This version added the "Voyager" feature, whereby users can view a portal page containing guided tours led by scientists and documentarians. The version also added an "I'm Feeling Lucky" button, represented by a die, which takes the user to a random location on earth along with showing them a "Knowledge Card" containing a short excerpt from the location's Wikipedia article.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Google says "Nope." Says my graphics card ain't good enough. Run it in DirectX mode, it says. My graphics card ain't good enough, it says.

Everything gets worse. Nothing gets better, I says.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Oh this is just more bullshit.

Now, if I can just figure how to uninstall, because A GODDAMN UNINSTALL BUTTON WOULD BE ASKING FOR TOO GOD DAMNED MUCH NOW WOULDN'T IT?!?!?!?!

Old 11-06-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Gone.

Thanks for trying to help me, really. I truly appreciate it.

But, I don't care anymore. It's not worth the effort, not your effort, not mine.

Everything gets harder. Everything gets worse. I might as well get used to it, because nothing's gonna get better.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #7
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr
Everything gets worse. Nothing gets better. And nothing else is gonna get better, either.
Exactly. More intrusive,bloated and doesnt run as good............
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I've found a version that will run on my machine, 7.1.8.3036.

Yay.

Ya finds yaself a list o'versions, see, and ya download, install, and try to use it, then ya uninstall, and download the next oldest version, install it, and try to use it, and then ya uninstall, and download and install the next oldest version on the list, and try to use it, and then ya uninstall, and download and install the next oldest version on the list, and try to use it...and then you're bald.

No, not balled.

Bald.

Still, it's Google Earth Pro. Of some flavor or other.

I've not noticed anything (besides fonts, positions of useless things on the screen, and icons) different from the version that stopped working. Except that it works. I think.

Last edited by Gravdigr; 12-28-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #9
glatt

Excellent!
Old 12-28-2018, 01:14 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Accidentally lernt about Pierre's Hole, first thing.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:41 PM   #11
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Accidentally lernt about Pierre's Hole, first thing.
Hmm.. I'd say Antoine Godin was a shit stirring asshole with a lot of blood on his hands.