The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-20-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yes and I'm explaining to you why anti-Muslim rhetoric is not a factor, why that's a fantasy. Moderate Muslims can see that anti-Muslim rhetoric is lower in America than almost any country in the world. That includes all of Europe.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So you don't think American Muslims are affected by congressmen and media types bashing Muslims?
Old 09-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
Redux

The NIE from several years ago that assessed the trends in global terrorism, identified "four underlying factors that are fueling the spread of the jihadist movement:
(1)Entrenched grievances, such as corruption, injustice, and fear of Western domination, leading to anger, humiliation, and a sense of powerlessness;
(2) the Iraq “jihad;”
(3) the slow pace of real and sustained economic, social, and political reforms in many Muslim majority nations; and
(4) pervasive anti-US sentiment among most Muslims

http://www.dni.gov/press_releases/De..._Judgments.pdf
IMO, those words, signs and acts further fuel that pervasive anti-US sentiment that already exists, particularly among the young.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
Redux

As also noted in the NIE:
We judge that groups of all stripes will increasingly use the Internet to communicate, propagandize, recruit...
Every time a member of Congress makes a derogatory comment about the Koran or suggests we should bomb Muslim holy sites...and anti-Muslim signs at town hall meetings..or rhetoric spewed on the radio....are exploited and make their way across the internet.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:11 AM   #5
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
As also noted in the NIE:
We judge that groups of all stripes will increasingly use the Internet to communicate, propagandize, recruit...
Every time a member of Congress makes a derogatory comment about the Koran or suggests we should bomb Muslim holy sites...and anti-Muslim signs at town hall meetings..or rhetoric spewed on the radio....are exploited and make their way across the internet.
[sarc]OOOOOOOOOooooooo.... BogaBoga! Heaven forbid we say anything critical of any group that happens to be Muslim, least we may offend. [/sarc]

But yet radical liberals stand up every day and bash Christians in the US or anyone who wants to profess their faith in a public forum, even if they are a politician.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

No.

There is a great deal more anti-Atheist sentiment in America than anti-Muslim sentiment. Atheists don't seem very anti-American.

And, if you're worried that there was a tiny minority of anti-Muslim sentiment at the moment that a Muslim was sworn in, you're busy not noticing that a Muslim was elected and sworn in. If you're worried about anti-Obamaites calling him a Muslim and then being anti-Muslim at tea parties, you're busy not noticing that he was called that last year... and then elected President.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
No.

There is a great deal more anti-Atheist sentiment in America than anti-Muslim sentiment. Atheists don't seem very anti-American.
Anti-Atheist sentiments are not used as recruiting propaganda around the world, where those doing the recruiting have no interest in portraying the "positive" side of a Muslim being elected to Congress.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:36 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
It would be very convincing to show us a piece of this very prevalent propaganda from moderate Muslims, perhaps exploiting those very searchable statements. Since it's on the Internet, all we need is a link or three.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
Redux

Quote:
It would be very convincing to show us a piece of this very prevalent propaganda from moderate Muslims, perhaps exploiting those very searchable statements. Since it's on the Internet, all we need is a link or three.
The propaganda is not from moderate Muslims and I dont speak/read Arabic so I cant provide links.

I simply agree with US intelligence assessments that terrorism is being fueled in part by anti-American sentiments and that the Internet is a tool for propagandizing and recruiting....and, IMO, these remarks, signs, etc. add fuel to the fire.

I dont think a congressman's deragtory remark about the Koran has as much impact as photos from Abu Grhbab, but nonetheless, it is one more piece of recruiting propaganda spread across Muslim countries....and neither has helped restore the US image.

Last edited by Redux; 09-21-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
a particular turn off for moderate Muslims around the world
20 posts later...

Quote:
The propaganda is not from moderate Muslims
This stuff seems trivial, and I know many Dwellars hate our discussion, but I also know that the next time you hear this narrative, you'll know in your heart that it's weak cheese. weeeeak

The non-moderates don't need quotes from congressmen. They can just make shit up, and repeat it as their gospel... and they do.

We can't have this discussion in the Pandagon comments sections, and we can't have this discussion with the repulsive Freepers. We can only have it here.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:06 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The moderate Muslims know that, but when the mainstream media says something that jibs with what the extremists are ranting, it has to make them wonder if there's more the media isn't saying.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:16 AM   #12
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
The moderate Muslims know that, but when the mainstream media says something that jibs with what the extremists are ranting, it has to make them wonder if there's more the media isn't saying.
IMHO this is the key to the discussion. And it happens whether the extremists are liberal-lefty's, tighty-righty's, or anti-Muslimists, the mainstream media pics it up, finds the extreme reaction to the anti-thesis of the view professed and then runs with it. Bruce wins the common sense award.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:30 AM   #13
Redux

Quote:
20 posts later...

This stuff seems trivial, and I know many Dwellars hate our discussion, but I also know that the next time you hear this narrative, you'll know in your heart that it's weak cheese. weeeeak

The non-moderates don't need quotes from congressmen. They can just make shit up, and repeat it as their gospel... and they do.

We can't have this discussion in the Pandagon comments sections, and we can't have this discussion with the repulsive Freepers. We can only have it here.
Why make shit up when it is given to you on a silver platter by members of Congress or America's top radio infotainer. So much easier to verify then made up crap.

Now I am done and Merc can call me more names, if it makes him feel better.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #14
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
Why make shit up when it is given to you on a silver platter by members of Congress or America's top radio infotainer. So much easier to verify then made up crap.

Now I am done and Merc can call me more names, if it makes him feel better.
Democratic Shrill.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
Idemosaka
Adorable Lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
This is a cool interactive map which shows the associations of Obama and people on capitol hill and in his new administration. Pretty neat.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a23bf7b4-e...0779fd2ac.html
Wtf are "genuine liberals"?
Idemosaka is offline   Reply With Quote