The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #16
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Your interpretation of "truth" is not the same as mine and that's ok with me. Your one vote means no more or less than mine - we are equal in that regard no matter how distasteful you find it.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:13 PM   #17
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

The mere fact that you think the truth is an "interpretation" proves that you don't know the meaning of the word "truth". But that's ok, most Republicans don't.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #18
SamIam

Radar's in fine form today. Those rapscallion republicans don't stand a chance.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #19
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

How long have you been waiting to use the word "rapscallion" in a sentence?

LOL
Old 09-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #20
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Most vets are against McCain, especially those who served in Vietnam and Iraq.
"most vets"? or "most vets radar meets at his extreme libertarian rant meetings"?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #21
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

I have to say Big Sarge, I don't support the war in Iraq and I want it to be finished. I think its a mire and will be very difficult to minimize the damage to US/Islam relations (that were already horrible enough). Unfortunately, at this point, I believe limiting our military presence is the best option, and supporting the new country in other ways (generalization sorry). Not only is it a drain on our resources, the longer we stay the more of those people who welcomed our presence will begin to resent it. I supported taking Hussein out, and believe he deserved what he got, but I'm not sure we took the best path to do that. Perhaps we acted to rash out of our fear of attack. I will always support the troops. Just because I don't support a military action I feel was made based on lies and emotion, does not mean I don't love and support our people who are doing their best for our country. It is that same love and support that makes it my responsibility to try to bring them home.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #22
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Radar - I was checking on some things you said & I'm confused. Please help me to understand.

"McCain got a D rating on Veterans issues from the Iraq and Afghanistan veterans of America. Barack Obama got a B+. Also the 10,000 IAVA were allowed to deliver a report to Barack Obama, but McCain turned them away".

Where did you come up with the number 10,000? The IVAW states there were only 2 squads of 25 each that led a march of 10,000. This number also included Rage Against the Machine and Flobots. The so called report was a message calling for the "Immediate withdrawal, full veterans benefits, and reparations for the Iraqi people" (IVAW website).

"The guy in your video represents a tiny minority of veterans. Most vets are against McCain, especially those who served in Vietnam and Iraq."

If we accept your total of 10,000 veterans being against the war, you must consider that is less than 0.7% of the app. 1.7 million troops who have served in OIF & OEF. Troop strengths are based upon reporting on the VoteVets, IVAW, and IAVA sites.

Maybe you can help me to understand?

Last edited by Big Sarge; 09-08-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Big Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #23
Big Sarge

MTP - it is not a mire. We have made significant success following the troop surge. Even Obama has admitted the troop surge was a success.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #24
Big Sarge

This Iraq Veterans Against the War is an interesting group!!! By reading their own posted profiles, I have identified a national board member and 4 regional directors who state they never served in Iraq. Now how can they be leaders of a legitimate Iraq veterans group??
Old 09-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #25
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
MTP - it is not a mire. We have made significant success following the troop surge. Even Obama has admitted the troop surge was a success.

You can't win an occupation. You can't win an illegal war and anyone who says the war in Iraq is not only a fucking retard, they are a traitor.

The troops surge did nothing and changed nothing. Whether America leaves Iraq in a month or in 50 years, the moment we leave, they will break out into civil war. We had no legitimate reason to have a single American solder at any time in history; this includes the illegal war in 1991, the 12 subsequent years of bombing Iraq daily, creating illegal no-fly zones, kicking down doors to homes, locking people up in prisons when they didn't do so much as jay walking, and then torturing them, searching the country, etc.

At no point has there ever been a legitimate or legal reason for an armed American soldier to be in Iraq.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #26
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Radar,

I served 2 combat tours. I know how the soldiers I served with feel. We strongly support the war against terror in Iraq because we know we forced AQ to expend their manpower and money in their own backyard, thus keeping them from executing attacks on our homes.

Basically, my knowledge is first-hand while you are relying on anti-war group rhetoric.
Meanwhile, the backyard in Pakistan is growing. And the Taliban is fighting back in Afghanistan, much like the way they fought USSR and USSR's puppets back in the 1980's. I wonder why Russia was not joining the coalition, even for just revenge?

Meanwhile, good job in Iraq, but it's not the point. Al Qaeda and the Taliban is working on a bigger prize: nuclear Pakistan. The Taliban already have a huge support in Pakistan, after all the Taliban originated there, with help from the army. Osama and the Taliban, I believe, still rely on contacts from the Pakistani army who is supposed to fight them. Iraq meanwhile, turned into a most successful diversion in the war on terror, even if they didn't dream of it themselves.

al-Qaeda made the mistake of treating the civilians in regions they used to control harshly. That was the real start of the Awakening.

Last edited by deadbeater; 09-08-2008 at 06:47 PM.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #27
Big Sarge

But Radar, I'm still confused about your IVAW source. I'm still hoping you can help me to understand. Is it truly an occupation when the legitimately elected government wants you there until they are able to achieve SASE (safe & secure environment.

I sure don't want to be a traitor. I hope you lead me to enlightenment. BTW, how long did you serve in the Navy?
Old 09-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #28
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

BS, I actually linked to several sites. Membership in the various veterans groups against the war in Iraq are in the hundreds of thousands.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #29
Big Sarge

Alright, I'm calling your hand on this Radar! Back up your statement with membership numbers for the veterans groups against Iraq War.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:58 PM   #30
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
The mere fact that you think the truth is an "interpretation" proves that you don't know the meaning of the word "truth". But that's ok, most Republicans don't.
As usual you are WRONG AGAIN. A, I am a registered independent and B, not only are there many interpretations of "truths", but someone as educated as you claim to be would certainly realize there are differing definitions of the word.