The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 04-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Absolutely. The Cathedral of Learning in Pittsburgh has a pair of nesting peregrines. A few years ago a second pair attempted to move in lower on the tower ... the first pair killed them.

But the original pair apparently successfully raise young each spring. There are local ordinances protecting them.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
orthodoc

You can only have met feral or poorly socialized kittens, seriously. Cats have to be socialized just like dogs. Imagine trying to cuddle up to a feral dog. Probably wouldn't go well, no? So why do we criticize poorly socialized kittens and cats?

Cats who are socialized from birth are immensely human-oriented. I've raised numerous generations; this is my experience. I've gotten breeding kittens from other breeders, and they were (with only one exception) never as well socialized as mine. I put the time in. Again, consider how much time we spend with puppies and young dogs. If you spend the equivalent time with a young cat, you'll have a loyal companion who loves you every bit as much as a dog, but is FAR more intelligent.

eta: besides: dogs can't purr.

Last edited by orthodoc; 04-03-2014 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Unanswerable argument
orthodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You've raised generations of cats and never had a kitten cut you up? Bullshit, your memory is shot. Sounds like you raised generations of inbred retards, real cats don't do that.

It's not a matter of socialization, reread what I wrote. They're not attacking, it's the way they play. Unfortunately we don't have fur to absorb most of those sharp little claws and teeth. They scream at each other when play gets too rough, and will stop if you scream too, but by the time they realize playtime is over the damage is done.

They can do a lot of damage in milliseconds. Sundae knows, so does Fargon, and Gravdigr.

Some dogs can purr.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #4
orthodoc

Pugs are pugly.

And sorry Bruce, but you don't know what you're talking about! My cats were not inbred; I deliberately crossed lines that weren't accepted by the powers that be. I took traditionals, who had major dollops of American Shorthair genes, and crossed them with moderns. I had intermediates that I bred back to traditionals, and intermediates that I bred back to moderns. I kept the best of all of the litters and worked toward an intermediate Siamese cat that wasn't 90 % American Shorthair and wasn't susceptible to the ills of the moderns. I bred shorthair traditional Balinese as well as longhairs. I mixed up the gene pools as much as possible.

It IS a matter of socialization. My kittens climbed the bookcases, and they loved to climb the 7' tall queening enclosure ... but they never, ever launched themselves onto me and left me bleeding after they'd had their fun. They followed me around the house, climbed all over me, and learned to obey quite a few commands. Just like intelligent puppies. Would you think it normal for puppies to attack you and rip your arm or leg to shreds? Not likely. Good kittens don't do that either.

Why are we arguing about this ... ?

Last edited by orthodoc; 04-03-2014 at 11:27 PM.
orthodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, yeah, yeah, breeders always claim their widdle kitahs would never do anything bad, then release their hellspawn on unsuspecting children of the world. But anyone who's lived with kittens/cats, no matter how much they love them, ain't buying your bullshit because it has has more holes than a screen door.

...or nylon stocking in kitten territory.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #6
orthodoc

Ah, but I am not the average breeder of widdle kittahs. I gave it up after a few years. I bred the best cats I've ever known, but I couldn't stand the breeder
'culture' and I didn't like selling the babies to strangers.

My contract stipulates that I'll take back any kitteh that people don't like/find inconvenient/any other reason. I've stayed in touch with my owners and they know it's true. I consider any creature that I've caused to be born to be my responsibility for life.

I call YOU on bullshit, Bruce. You haven't ever encountered a socialized cat. They are the best, the most loyal, the most intelligent animals around. I hear that rats are very intelligent, too ... but I prefer cats. Dogs are nice, and I've loved many of them. No dissing of dogs here.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:13 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

See there, you claim "not the average breeder"... just like every other breeder. Breeders have no credibility.

You can make all the claims you want about your special kitties, anyone with a history of cats will simply laugh in your general direction.

Why the fuck do we need cat breeders, they seem to do quite well on their own. Matter of fact, they'd overrun the whole damn town if we let them.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
orthodoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post

You can make all the claims you want about your special kitties, anyone with a history of cats will simply laugh in your general direction.
I get it, I get it: you hate cats. No animal is going to be calm and loving around someone who hates it. I'm sure you and the cats are happiest staying well away from each other. It's win/win.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, you don't get it at all. I don't hate cats, I've had dozens of them, spent dozens if not hundreds of hours watching TV with one in my lap, and know goddamn well what a normal... and a few abnormal... cats act like. I kid Sundae that dogs are better, and do prefer them, but those Frankenstein cats you describe don't exist in anybody's world but yours.
So I in your general direction.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

This is the animal we're talking about:

Name:  kitten.jpg
Views: 2304
Size:  31.9 KB

At the end of each of those four legs is a chainsaw, and just below the nose is a wood chipper.

This animal will happily claw out your liver and smother you with it.

Vicious, vicious little beastie.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
orthodoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
See there, you claim "not the average breeder"... just like every other breeder. Breeders have no credibility.

Why the fuck do we need cat breeders, they seem to do quite well on their own. Matter of fact, they'd overrun the whole damn town if we let them.
You, sir, are an asshole. Or have been behaving like one for the past week.

Name:  IMG_0247.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  110.8 KB
Me before my diagnosis.

Me during chemo, when my first queen slept with me every night. She followed me around the apartment, fussed at me until I got into bed, and stayed with me every moment when I was too ill to reach out and turn off the bedside lamp. 'Why the fuck do we need cat breeders'? We need good cat breeders because this is what I produced. And dozens more like her.

I assume you had a bad week, Bruce. You're better than the bullshit you doggedly pursued in this thread.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You've have a loyal pet, you bred/raised yourself. Big fucking deal.

Plenty of others have, or have had, loyal pets, like elspode, UT, Gravdigr, Griff and plenty more. You know what? They did it without breeding their own, without adding to the 2,700,000 that are euthanized every fucking year, in this country.

Oh I know, your special kitties go to special families, and you'll take them back if necessary.
Yeah, fuck that shelter cat that was killed because that special family bought your special spawn instead of rescuing them.

But you're little kitties are special, different, not like everyday cats.
Well, duh, that's what I've been trying to get through your thick skull. You have no idea what real cats are like, not a clue.

I'll put it another way, you've been spoiled with Blizzaks most people can't afford, so you've out of touch with how hazardous winter driving is for real people.

Oh, and bad week? No, I'm always an asshole, fuck you very much.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I don't think Ortho has ever played with a cat. Or a kitten. Or she's confused as to what, exactly, a cat/kitten is.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Old 04-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Elk