The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-12-2005, 05:41 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

From vhampyre's link
Quote:
"I've never been out of New Orleans," she said, "but I've decided I want to move here."
That ought to warm the natives hearts.

Welcome to the Cellar vhampyre.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:15 AM   #17
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I was just about to quote the same piece of the article.

[tinfoil]It's part of the new world order planned resettlement to change the demographic of the more conservative western states, I tell you![/tinfoil]

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:45 AM   #18
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I was just about to quote the same piece of the article.

[tinfoil]It's part of the new world order planned resettlement to change the demographic of the more conservative western states, I tell you![/tinfoil]
From the Denver Post:

All day Tuesday, people arrived at the Lowry site. A truck from Mountain Man Nut and Fruit Co. pulled in to deliver supplies. Volunteers came to offer counseling and help finding housing, furniture and clothing for evacuees.

Kathy Arford, who owns a small remodeling company, Kateri Homes, arrived offering two jobs at $10 an hour.

"I need help," she said, "and I can teach people how to do the work."

The only problem was she couldn't get near the survivors.

"I've spent two hours trying to find somebody who'll listen to me," she said.

She wants to give a couple of desperate people a chance at a new life. She just needs to get through the fence.

I hear that black folks actually do live up in Denver. It doesn't sound as though the 3 Denver has will be getting any company any time soon.

PS Glad to hear they kept the fence. Its a nice one.

Hi, Vhampyre!

Last edited by marichiko; 09-13-2005 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:04 AM   #19
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

What I'm really curious to know is where they are "sheltering" or relocating the displaced looters, rapists, and murderers that they arrested during the take-back of New Orleans. Likewise, what have they done with all the jail/prison inmates and occupants of mental health facilities which had to be emptied because of the flooding? Maybe here is the perfect use for the cruise ships which the feds were so determined to charter; the evacuees did not want to go there because then they would not be able to leave at will :p
Old 09-13-2005, 12:27 PM   #20
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Norristown State Hospital readied a building for "30 to 50" mental health consumers displaced by Katrina.

I don't know if they ever got them. I'll have to ask the boss tonight.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 09-13-2005, 12:38 PM   #21
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Mental health consumers?

|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:07 AM   #22
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Giggle.

That's just what we're supposed to call them instead of our preferred technical designations "nuts," "kooks" or even "loonies."

I used the term "mental health consumer" with a patient one time when I was first starting out and was trying really hard to sound open and welcoming ... she responded "I have never eaten a psychiatrist."

I went back to using "patient" and "client" after that.

Old 09-14-2005, 02:25 AM   #23
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Well, one of the CNN commentators said something today about what they did with the people in the jails as Katrina bore down on New Orleans, they RELEASED THEM Um, did anybody check what they were jailed for in the first place before letting any serial rapists or ax murderers walk? Suggested that they go to the Convention Center or the Dome for refuge, I guess. Along with 15-20,000 unarmed women and children and sick people and Geraldo. And apparently less than 10 policemen. There was also at least one prison which was flooded but they didn't say if or how they evacuated any of the inmates. The law enforcement there admits they have no idea what happened to the thousand and thousands of registered sex offenders and have no means or priority to check on them right now. The Police Chief (an African-American) also admitted that nobody was searched or checked in any way before being admitted to the refuges. Gangs entered freely, bringing drugs and weapons, with tragically predictable results.

I hope nobody is still trying to tell the media "We had no idea it would happen like this/be this bad/get out of control." How did we ever get so many stupid people in one place and one time like this?
Old 09-14-2005, 03:06 AM   #24
wolf
lobber of scimitars

And it's been a priority to take weapons away from folks who were appropriately defending their lives and property.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:07 PM   #25
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
And it's been a priority to take weapons away from folks who were appropriately defending their lives and property.
Sure. They're the ones sitting and taking it. The looters don't stay in one place, and they tend to shoot at people who try to take their weapons. (and people who don't for that matter).

I've seen a number of stories about FEMA recently which make me think the response would have been better if any FEMA officials not actively involved in rescues or food distribution had simply been shot on sight.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:43 AM   #26
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by russotto
I've seen a number of stories about FEMA recently which make me think the response would have been better if any FEMA officials not actively involved in rescues or food distribution had simply been shot on sight.
What did you think of the Sheriff of Gretna, who had his men block the exit from that overpass where several thousand people were stranded without food or water for 4 days? His men were even ordered to shoot at anybody trying to rush them. Very righteously said on camera that he wasn't about to allow the Superdome to move into HIS jurisdiction when they didn't have any more resources to share