The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-28-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
At first, I felt a lot of suspense, but as the movie wore on, it became boring, and I was wondering when it would be over.
I wonder if Katies thinking the same thing?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I am half-watching, half-listening to SNL Christmas. Has such classic clips as Eddie Murphy's Mr. Robinson's Christmas, Chris Farley's Down by the River Guy as Dept. Store Santa, and of course, The Hanukkah Song.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:06 PM   #3
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

We're No Angels (1955) A Christmas comedy of sorts with Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov, and Aldo Ray.

Quote:
We came here to rob them and that's what we're gonna do - beat their heads in, gouge their eyes out, slash their throats. Soon as we wash the dishes
Old 11-28-2005, 11:46 PM   #4
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

this is going to sound gross , but a while back i was at the dump working on a couple of scales ( yes they weigh trash ) and a whole truck load of dvd's came in , you should have SEEN the guys from the yard swarming like rats !!!
I walked off with an arm load as well , most seem to work ok , all exept the " girls gone wild " , some asshole broke it in half !!!!!
Old 11-29-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt
all exept the " girls gone wild " , some asshole broke it in half !!!!!
I think the term you're searching for there is probably "outraged mom" or "outraged wife."

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:53 PM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

We finished off Firefly, now we'll wait for the film to come out on video. I'm very hooked on a dead program. bummer
Old 11-29-2005, 09:59 AM   #7
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Double Feature!

Christmas with the Kranks, with Jamie Lee Curtis, Tim Allen and Dan Akroyd. Pretty funny, and wildly exceeded my expectations (of zero). I felt sympathetic to Tim Allen's character. His day will come.

War of the Worlds, with Dakota Fanning, Tom Cruise and Meryl Streep's lost twin (forget her name). I enjoyed watching the film, and I didn't have the "when will it all end" boredom problem reported elsewhere. Tim Robbins did a good job, too. The effects were incredible. Very tense movie.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:12 PM   #8
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Or even "female college student who hadn't thought she'd had THAT many shots of Tequila . . . . . . "
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:28 PM   #9
Gromitspapa
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Being a fan of Steve McQueen, I rented the first season of Wanted: Dead or Alive, which recently became available on DVD. Fun to see Steve in something new. The series is cheesy, but decent. It's funny how all the criminals and their families tell the absolute truth when questioned!
Gromitspapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:08 PM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

LOTR: The Return of the King

I tried to get around to watching this last night.

Relatively early last night.

I was asleep before the opening scene with the ring ended.

I'll try again tonight.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 12-03-2005, 04:29 PM   #11
Badgerino
Complex Simpleton

ROTK is the best of the 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
LOTR: The Return of the King

I tried to get around to watching this last night.

Relatively early last night.

I was asleep before the opening scene with the ring ended.

I'll try again tonight.
I have watched it many times on my front projector on a 7' screen with a nice surround system and a big enough subwoofer to piss off the neighbors.
I have even watched all 3 LOTR EE movies in a marathon session and it is a marathon.

I rewatched War of the Worlds today just for the special effects. Movies are really movies on the big screen where it becomes as much of an experience as a viewing.
Badgerino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:51 PM   #12
Badgerino
Complex Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerino
I have watched it many times on my front projector on a 7' screen with a nice surround system and a big enough subwoofer to piss off the neighbors.
I have even watched all 3 LOTR EE movies in a marathon session and it is a marathon.

I rewatched War of the Worlds today just for the special effects. Movies are really movies on the big screen where it becomes as much of an experience as a viewing.
Well, I did it again a couple of days ago and on a snowy winter's day I decided to do another marathon viewing of LOTR on the big screen and it didn't end until after 10:30 p.m. I still enjoyed it. At the moment I am watching the director's cut of Tombstone onthe big screen. I think it is one of the best westerns ever made.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:35 PM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerino
I
You probably don't really hate LOTR.

Old 12-17-2005, 01:21 PM   #14
Badgerino
Complex Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
You probably don't really hate LOTR.
I've read the books a number of times since college in the early '70s. If it was not for my big screen and the surround sound I would not have watched the trilogy so many times. It's just that when I'm looking for a movie that will be spectacular on the big screen I seem to grab LOTR alot. I am at this point, though, getting LOTRed out.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:43 PM   #15
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Well, it's not really a DVD, but I'm looking forward to this.

$0.95 Best of The Original Avengers - 3 VHS pack
ISBN:1402853335 Dec 27, 2005

It's part of my Barnes and Noble order.

Quote:
With intriguing comments and specially recorded introductions from Patrick Macnee, the original John Steed, these episodes feature the best of The Avengers leading ladies. Mrs. Emma Peel, Mrs. Cathy Gale and Ms. Tara King - independent, glamorous and resourceful - represents the very essence of the The Avengers adventurous appeal. Each of the six classic episodes included here are Patrick Macnee's favorite, collected together complete and uncut for the first
time.
The description mentions that the episodes are uncut, and I'm trying to figure out what was cut in the first place. Hopefully it has something to do with Diana Rigg and a wardrobe malfunction with the cat suit.

BTW, it's still available in the sale annex.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 12-27-2005 at 06:51 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movies