FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2004, 02:03 AM   #5
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Quote:
From Brig:
That to me is the way it should be, a child can ask "why" to have a better understanding of why something is being asked of them, but "no" is not an option.
      I have a similar policy, for the same reason. However, with me it's "You can ask why after you do it." A simple difference perhaps, but it's my intent to establish clearly that they do what they are told when they are told. Asking why will not delay getting it done. I often let that one slip though. Quite frankly, I tend to answer any question immediately, even if I should be enforcing chores or some such thing. Oh well. It comes from my desire to encourage their natural curiosity.
      I have discovered a nasty side effect. The boy has no respect for any authority whose reason for doing something is, "because I told you so." He's proven himself quite strong willed against a variety of adults. With plenty of clever responses and snappy comebacks. Much to my chagrin. Still, he often makes a few solid points in the midst of major problems. For that he has my respect, even if it does give me a headache...