The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2020, 08:09 PM   #16
Ibby
erika
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: "the high up north"
Posts: 6,126
I joined the cellar a few weeks after my 15th birthday. i'm 29. ive been on (well, on and off) the cellar for about half my life. I've probably spent more time away than i've spent here, but it still feels a little like home. one last little bastion of the old internet. i'd definitely miss this place if it went anywhere.
__________________
not really back, you didn't see me, i was never here shhhhhh
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:22 PM   #17
Undertoad
Radical Centrist
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Cottage of Prussia
Posts: 31,406
The Cellar was a force for good from 2001-2012. During that time it did what it was intended to do. We had glorious conversations about everything. We fought and still stayed here. New people came around all the time. Because they wanted to be social, and it was a new way of being social. Almost all the people you're thinking about, the people you value, are all from that era. Look at the Join Dates in this thread. What we have now is the leftover of that time.

We have not been that force for a while now. Now we're a force that shits all over an 82-year-old because she's too isolated in her thoughts. We should be the place that helps fix that. But maybe we never were, maybe it's me who changed. Fine.

But now, the question I find most interesting is,

When you set up the new forum, are ya gonna let her on it?

after all, she did post too much. on a forum so precious, so in need of defending, so full of love and sharing that you people weren't even writing 40 posts per week.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:28 PM   #18
jaminhealth
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Santa Monica CA
Posts: 226
It's truly stunning how you talk about the 82 yr old...you may all be here some day, maybe not. I hope so.

Don't even worry about considering me for the "new" group. You can all rest... Thanks.

And as posting too much, 82 yrs one has a lot to say if they are up on things in the world. Glad you have your precious small group who use so much foul language ..

Just laughing sorta, wonder how I would have been treated if I were 92, worse or better, hard to tell....the older folks are a more disposable group these times.

Glad I can still think clearly and write as I do, many my age are in dementia, and I've viewed plenty of caregiver groups....

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-10-2020 at 10:13 PM.
jaminhealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:03 PM   #19
sexobon
Ladies and gentlemen, sexobon has left the building.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,793
Everyone knows that I'm just here for the entertainment; so, they could've gotten rid of me at anytime.

All they ever had to do was have Clodfobble PM a picture of herself baring her tits and I would have quit this place while I was ahead.

But, they couldn't bear the thought of my leaving and not having anyone to entertain for the level of appreciation I've shown.

I suppose I'll be drafted into the next incarnation of the Cellar by popular demand. We all have our crosses to bear.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:09 PM   #20
jaminhealth
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Santa Monica CA
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
I joined the cellar a few weeks after my 15th birthday. i'm 29. ive been on (well, on and off) the cellar for about half my life. I've probably spent more time away than i've spent here, but it still feels a little like home. one last little bastion of the old internet. i'd definitely miss this place if it went anywhere.
Amazing how young you were, I was 67 when I first got on a forum....so it's 15 yrs and I've been on many...I don't stay more than 5-6 yrs as I mentioned... I hope the group stays for you longtimers..... My grandgirl is a few yrs younger than you now and she has all her own social stuff...and it's a lot....she's very interested in holistic healing and therapies...she's seen enough pharma damage in her family life....
jaminhealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:18 PM   #21
monster
I hear them call the tide
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Perpetual Chaos
Posts: 30,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Amazing how young you were, I was 67 when I first got on a forum....so it's 15 yrs and I've been on many...I don't stay more than 5-6 yrs as I mentioned... I hope the group stays for you longtimers..... My grandgirl is a few yrs younger than you now and she has all her own social stuff...and it's a lot....she's very interested in holistic healing and therapies...she's seen enough pharma damage in her family life....
you don't give a shit.

Post count:

References to Ibby: 2
"I": 5
"my":1
refernces to alleged relative to you: 5

Tell me again how caring you are, how concerned for other people?
__________________
The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity Amelia Earhart
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:24 PM   #22
jaminhealth
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Santa Monica CA
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
you don't give a shit.

Post count:

References to Ibby: 2
"I": 5
"my":1
refernces to alleged relative to you: 5

Tell me again how caring you are, how concerned for other people?
How much "shit" should I be giving about this forum after being around here a few days? good grief, how would anyone feel if they were mudslung the way I have been.

And that's some username....ummmm
jaminhealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:35 PM   #23
monster
I hear them call the tide
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Perpetual Chaos
Posts: 30,818
zero shit (rhetorical question -probably invented after your time...). So why keep posting to try and demonstrate you're not a troll but really a caring woke person? Oh.. coz you're a troll/attention ho. your age is irrelevant. why do you keep bringing it up? unless you feel it mitigates some cognitive impairment and excuses your poor behavior, ignorance and general wankfest? prolly caused by grapeseed jizz.

the username? What sorta wannabe doesn't research thing like that? The answer is not hard to find (excluding the obvious)

Have a Blessed Day and may you not choke on the smoke or flake from a quake
__________________
The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity Amelia Earhart
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:40 PM   #24
sexobon
Ladies and gentlemen, sexobon has left the building.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,793
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:21 AM   #25
limey
Encroaching on your decrees
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: An island within the south-west coast of Scotland
Posts: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
The Cellar was a force for good from 2001-2012. During that time it did what it was intended to do. We had glorious conversations about everything. We fought and still stayed here. New people came around all the time. Because they wanted to be social, and it was a new way of being social. Almost all the people you're thinking about, the people you value, are all from that era. Look at the Join Dates in this thread. What we have now is the leftover of that time.

We have not been that force for a while now. Now we're a force that shits all over an 82-year-old because she's too isolated in her thoughts. We should be the place that helps fix that. But maybe we never were, maybe it's me who changed. Fine.

But now, the question I find most interesting is,

When you set up the new forum, are ya gonna let her on it?

after all, she did post too much. on a forum so precious, so in need of defending, so full of love and sharing that you people weren't even writing 40 posts per week.

This. Except itís not ďyou peopleĒ, itís *we*. We all took it for granted and have posted less and less, meaning that when an enthusiastic newbie posts a lot that is all you see, instead of it being leavened with posts from regulars. And without that, how can any newbie get a sense of the Cellarís identity, and without that the Cellarís regular members feel threatened because the identity of the Cellar is strongly affected by one new personís posts.
Also, I hadnít thought how COVID and itís impact on each of us, wherever we are, will have affected our reactions. I think perhaps weíre all more sensitive.
I think the Cellar achieved something remarkable for a while on the internet, providing a real connection between people who otherwise would not have met, not just because of geography, but also because here we are just names on screens, so our visually or sociologically cued prejudices werenít brought into play.
We havenít had new members for a long time because there really isnít much to see here. A small social group chatting occasionally. And I donít think it is possible to return to what we had in the Cellarís heyday, because we have all changed, and Internet use has changed.
But I am very grateful to Undertoad for maintaining this place for so long, and very glad to have met the friends (no quote marks, no qualifying word ďonlineĒ, I mean true friends) that I have here.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Living it up on the edge ... of civilisation, within the southwest coast of
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:36 AM   #26
glatt
ô
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 27,706
True words limey.

A small social group chatting occasionally is not a bad thing. Itís important to the group.

I dunno, is it like an old couple who have said everything they needed to say, but still enjoy each otherís company and rock on the porch together in silence? Thereís no growth, but thereís a connection.

The heyday is gone, and we remain. And talk about stuff sometimes.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:06 AM   #27
limey
Encroaching on your decrees
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: An island within the south-west coast of Scotland
Posts: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
A small social group chatting occasionally is not a bad thing. Itís important to the group.
I agree, and hope we can work out a way to stay in touch.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Living it up on the edge ... of civilisation, within the southwest coast of
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #28
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Posts: 18,438
I was trying to explain the cellar to my GF last night. In the process I realized how it means so much to so many different people and how it fostered interactions that have improved so many of our lives and increased people's knowledge and awareness about an enormous range of subjects, lifestyles, ideologies. Sometimes it was simply a respite from the irritations of daily life and other times it was a shoulder to cry on or people to share a joke with.

The world, not just the US, is facing a viral pandemic as well as a pandemic of extremism in its many forms. There is tremendous uncertainty in the world now and it is affecting everyone's mood and mental health. THIS is exactly when the cellar is needed most. And it is also what is behind a lot of the ill feelings.

I see your point about the glory years of the cellar, I'm not sure what to add to that, or what Limey said, but I'm curious about WHY things dropped off around 2012. I don't have the analytics to view, but I suspect that they would tell a lot.

But you don't have an obligation to us, nor should you feel that you do. Maybe we're like the guests in BuŮuel's "Exterminating Angel" who are reluctant and then unable to leave the dinner party when it is over.

Some have suggested the idea of selling the cellar, sure you could do that but it wouldn't be the cellar without your guidance. I've often been blown away by your ability to make decisions based on what you think is best for the cellar even when it seems like it isn't what you, personally, would prefer. I wouldn't be able to be that professionally detached.

I have to get to work, I want to write more about this later because there is a lot to say. Hopefully I'm not just being a windbag but I'll be happy to fuck right off if I am.
__________________
The internet is a hateful stew of vomit you can never take completely seriously. - Her Fobs

Last edited by footfootfoot; 10-11-2020 at 09:22 AM.
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:08 PM   #29
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South Central...KY that is
Posts: 39,508
Do not fuck right off.
__________________


These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:28 PM   #30
jaminhealth
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Santa Monica CA
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
zero shit (rhetorical question -probably invented after your time...). So why keep posting to try and demonstrate you're not a troll but really a caring woke person? Oh.. coz you're a troll/attention ho. your age is irrelevant. why do you keep bringing it up? unless you feel it mitigates some cognitive impairment and excuses your poor behavior, ignorance and general wankfest? prolly caused by grapeseed jizz.

the username? What sorta wannabe doesn't research thing like that? The answer is not hard to find (excluding the obvious)

Have a Blessed Day and may you not choke on the smoke or flake from a quake


I hope Karma doesn't come back to hit you in your life...your meanness can only bring more to yourself.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-11-2020 at 03:40 PM.
jaminhealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.