The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-10-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

8/10/2005: IED remote control

Michael Yon is my hero. Unlike most "journalists" sent to Iraq, Yon has repeatedly embedded himself with the hardest of hardass units in the very worst areas. Getting deep respect and honesty from the grunts because he is really there, really telling their stories, seeing the action live and documenting it as it happens.

Three months ago he shot one of the most remarkable images on IotD ever, the soldier comforting a dying Iraqi girl. Almost every dispatch since then has been positively edge-of-your-seat stuff, the true stories of military life in Iraq.

It's kind of politically neutral, because all Yon does is tell the full story. All sides will find points for their schools of thought. There are remarkable stories of heroism and remarkable stories of pain.

In his latest dispatch (warning, pretty long), called "Jungle Law" for what appears to be in effect in Mosul, he comes within mere seconds of being blown up. The guerillas' tactic: bury a massive bomb in the middle of the road, wait for forces to drive over it, and then blow it up via remote control. The above is such a control, clearly jury-rigged with whatever is available. And here's how you use it:

1) Re-install the AA batteries in the back, 2) Connect the 9-volt battery on the side. 3) Flip the black switch on the side. 4) Press #1 on the weird keypad. 5) Press #7.

When you press 7, the bomb explodes.

Read the full story to find out how they got those instructions.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:24 PM   #2
lawman
unerringly questioning

Michael Yon's blog entry is so vivid and well written. It's worth the 5 minutes to read it all. I can't imagine being a reporter volunteering to be in that situation.

Hope he's around for more entries but you never know.
lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:22 PM   #3
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Yon
AK-monkey-pumpers smack-down.
This guy has already gained my upmost respect!
Old 08-10-2005, 03:05 PM   #4
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

That keypad is off of one of those little phones you can wear around the house on your belt. Pretty smart and simple way to make a remote.. not to say that I approve of its intended purpose
Old 08-10-2005, 04:10 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I don't understand why the 9 volt and extra key pad are added to the phone. Especially if they are close to the recieving phone. I could see the reciever needing extra power to detonate but why the sender?
edit= Yon is a damn fool....I'll send him a check.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 08-10-2005 at 04:12 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:15 PM   #6
Bitman
cellar smellar

Remote control what? How does it .. .. Oh wait, IED. Boy, I was way off.

Anyway, the 9V is for the dialer. They run off phone line voltage; I don't know what that is, but the 3V in radio probly isn't enough.
Bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:13 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Awferchrisake. I thought it was a cell phone....Doh.
It's a Walkie-Talkie with a phone dialer added.
Hmmmm, wonder why they don't use a phone?
Afraid of wrong numbers?
Old 08-10-2005, 07:28 PM   #8
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

probly too expensive to buy a new cell phone for each bomb. all they need for this setup is a cheap lil 2 way radio
Old 08-10-2005, 08:33 PM   #9
lookout123
changed his status to single

2 walkie talkies or phones needed for each IED (can't type that without thinking of a uterus). phones are sold separately and are more expensive, need towers, service, etc. walkie talkies are sold in pairs, are cheap, and are relatively foolproof over short distances.

a scary fact of what is going on over there right now is that they are finally getting good at shaped charges. they are turning our reactive armor into a weapon against us at it blows inward.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:29 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

OK, that makes sense, but why do the need a key pad? Send and recieve a code number for safety?
One more question and homeland security will be dropping by, I suppose.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:37 AM   #11
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

IED is Chilling in its relative simplicity - even more so from perspective of recent/current events in London. The downside payment for readily/easily available technology.
Cyclefrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:54 AM   #12
LCanal
I hope to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am

I would hazard a quess at the keypad is nothing more than a tone generator. Which somehow triggers the device via the walkie-talkie at the bomb site. One could probably use voice but that would mean anyone talking on the same frquency could.. well you get the picture.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:05 AM   #13
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

the set of radios I have have 22 different freqs to chose from. As few of these that are scattered about, sometimes someone keys up on the freq that I have chosen. (what are the odds of that?) Obviously pretty good. I guess the keypad gives the bomber the little something the other radio owners don't have. Otherwise he may become his own victim. Now THAT WOULD BE COOL.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:22 AM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

According to the dispatch, these particular bombers did become their own victim.

Wretchard at Belmont Club speculates that wasn't just by chance:

Quote:
What Yon omits is as tantalizing as what he describes. A lot is happening offstage that we are not allowed to see; we are given only glimpses. There are staged IED attacks to lure out the enemy into the sights of snipers. The are constant meetings with the Iraqi police whose subject matter is never described. Inexplicable things happen, like the the IED triggerman being taken back to his neighborhood right even while fire is being exchanged at the failed ambush site by Army officers who are certainly too busy to just shoot the breeze or idly wander around town. Bombs are left on the road and just happen to blow up when the insurgents attempt to retrieve them later. Large explosive caches are discovered in ways that are never divulged. A car bomb factory is about to be raided as Yon ends the post, in the cliff-hanger manner of the Republic Serials, and we are left not only to wonder what will happen, but how the raiders came to that very door.

(Speculation alert) We are probably going to have to wait a decade to find out how the battle of Mosul was fought out. But I think it is probable that a large role will have been played by electronic warfare in particular and information warfare in general.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:33 AM   #15
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Sorry to expose my military ignorance, but what does IED stand for?
(Snarky Cellar-type comments on my lack of knowledge are welcome.)

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote