The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-08-2004, 07:01 AM   #16
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Re: Ker-HEE HEE HEE!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tornado
Not just because I am a Caviezel fan, but because this Freeman idiot just simply had a lot of nerve saying the garbage he did. You can almost SEE the bitterness in his words; this guy's slowly turning into a misanthrope, me thinks.
Had you ever heard of this guy before you read this article?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 02:44 PM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
Welcome to the cellar James!
Well, I thought it was funny as hell.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:27 PM   #18
Tornado
It's a Twistah! A Twistah!

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Clodfobble
I think you misunderstand why I think he may have fucked up his career. It has nothing to do with the possibility of people "blackballing" him over the subject of the movie. Working actors take roles whenever they can get them, and inside the industry they understand that. The problem is typecasting in the public's eye--people will never be able to think of him as just Jim Caviezel the Actor, they will think of him as That Guy Who Played Jesus, and as such no director will want him in their movie that's not about Jesus. It's the same reason why Christopher Reeve got so few roles, despite being a brilliant actor.
Yes, you're right, I did misunderstand you. I guess I just assumed that the controversy of the film outweighed the risk of him being typecast.

Infact, I had read a review on the movie that suspected Caviezel might have risked being typecast as Jesus. This was further played on by all the added oddities surrounding him & the role...ie: his initials JC, the fact he got hit by lightning, blah blah blah.

I don't imagine he'll be blackballed the same as, say, Norman Bates in "Psycho"...but there's always that potential, I guess. Anyway, his true fans won't give a rat's ass

Other than that, I'm not actually obsessed or anything...as I said before, the article just boiled my blood. And no, I'd no idea who Paul Freeman was before I'd read the article. Now I know he's an asshole with a big mouth. As for me, I'm 26 & from *GASP* Canada. Annnnd...the "welcome to the board James" comment actually would have been funnier...if I was a guy

Nice to meet you all. And, again, thanks for letting me rant.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:30 PM   #19
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

You rant away hun. *passes Tornado a joint* aint nobody here but us chickens
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 11:31 PM   #20
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I dunno...religious stuff doesn't sit well in 2004 Hollywood...it almost seems like you're blackballing yourself. Or condemning yourself forever to indie films.
Sometimes doing a good thing and doing the "smart" thing are not the same thing.

Then again maybe he'll get credit for having the balls to risk it.

There's certainly a lot of anti-Christian attitude in some places (um here for instance). Doing anything that promotes Christianity or labels you a Christian can open you for pot shots. So I give him credit for that at least.

As to his acting, I'll wait to see him in other stuff before making any guesses as to how far he'll go.

Oh, and just to stir the pot a bit. I looked up this Freeman guy in imdb. He was the sleazy archaeologist in Raiders of the Lost Ark. I thought he did well with that part. I realize that doesn't speak to his personality.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 08:52 AM   #21
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
There's certainly a lot of anti-Christian attitude in some places (um here for instance).
Nah.....no anti christianity here....lot of anti religion in all its forms tho :P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 12:30 PM   #22
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Re: Re: Ker-HEE HEE HEE!

Quote:
Originally posted by Happy Monkey
Had you ever heard of this guy before you read this article?
Count of Monte Cristo
Old 05-09-2004, 05:40 PM   #23
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I meant Paul Freeman. I was wondeing why it mattered what he thought of Jim Caviezel.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:25 PM   #24
Tornado
It's a Twistah! A Twistah!

Quote:
Originally posted by dar512

There's certainly a lot of anti-Christian attitude in some places (um here for instance). Doing anything that promotes Christianity or labels you a Christian can open you for pot shots.
Christians certainly get picked on, but many of them don't make it very easy for themselves; not only am I Christian, I am a born-again Christian...and can't for the life of me stand fanatical Christians. Bible thumpers, the ones who knock on the door at 8 am, the ones downtown yelling in the streets. I go by God, no questions asked...but I also know there are scores of people who don't, and I'd never, ever try to friggen convert anyone...the same as I expect no one to try to convert me. Sure, you may not agree with many of the belief systems that people practice...but that's their right.

In some cases, people bash Christians just because it seems "hip" (teenagers are good at this; they condemn things they hardly understand just because it's the "in" thing to do...at which case I just laugh & pray for their unfortunate parents).
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:39 PM   #25
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Bible thumpers, the ones who knock on the door at 8 am, the ones downtown yelling in the streets.
We have a crew here at SLU in La. that show up once a semester. They appear to be some pentacostal variant. They stand in the student union and yell at students about how they are going to hell for getting an education.

Freaks...
Old 05-09-2004, 10:10 PM   #26
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:

Bible thumpers, the ones who knock on the door at 8 am, the ones downtown yelling in the streets.
I understand their motivation. But the effect they obtain is not what they want.

I'm of a mind that the best advocacy for Christianity is just living your life as a Christian.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote