Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

2012 Republican News

Well, the Iowa straw polls are in a couple days, and the 2012 presidential campaign is well underway. While the field of candidates for the GOP isn't set yet (I expect the field to both expand and contract as the election approaches), there are some politicians who have already declared their candidacy. Once they've opened their mouths to declare, they make room for their feet.

Today's foot-in-the-mouth subject of derision is Mitt Romney. He's famously slick and his pro-business agenda slipped out today in this exchange:
Quote:
Speaking to an occasionally rowdy crowd two days before the Ames Straw poll, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney made what seems likely to become a much-discussed flub, declaring to a group of Iowans that "corporations are people."

Pressed by an attendee at the Iowa State Fair on Thursday as to why he was focusing on entitlement reforms as a means of deficit reduction over asking corporations to share part of the burden, the GOP frontrunner shot back:

"Corporations are people, my friend... of course they are. Everything corporations earn ultimately goes to the people. Where do you think it goes? Whose pockets? Whose pockets? People's pockets. Human beings my friend."

Read more: http://technorati.com/politics/artic...#ixzz1UksIF4HP
Really? Corporations are people? Bwahahahahahaha! Puh-LEASE. News flash--corporations are NOT people. I accept that this is a gaffe, a speaking mistake. But...I believe Mitt Romney's mistake here is not that he believes that corporations are people, but that he confessed this belief out loud.

Tags
politics