The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Drop that cabbage and put your hands in the air

This was in my Inbox today. Not sure of its veracity, but Bechtel has done something similar with water in some South American country, i.e. you can't gather rainwater because the water is on its way to the aquifer, which belongs to them.

So, anyway, anyone heard about this?

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I am writing about U.S. Senate bill.... S. 510, otherwise known as the Farm Bill, but called the "Food Safety Modernization Act." It will be voted on this coming Monday, November 29th.

Basically, this bill will do the following:
- Gives FDA LOTS of power to shut down family farms
- drives up the costs of food production by adding even more layers of government interference (17,000 more bureaucrats and $1 billion increased spending)
- Empowers the Feds to impose international standards on our domestic food producers

Another issue that particularly concerns me is that if there is ever a situation where we have to rely on growing our own food for survival, that gives the lovely govt power over determining what we can/cannot do...

To learn more able the bill, please research these sites:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-510

http://www.justmeans.com/Senate-Bill...ism/27723.html

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/..._id=6127829696

http://amishinternet.com/?p=332

To contact your senators, go here:
http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm

Please realize that if this bill passes, it will mean that it will be illegal for a private person to grow, share, sell or transport homegrown food. If EVER we are in a situation where we need to grow food on our own, the government would be able to stop us. So, let's stop them first!!!
Old 11-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, but I did read there's some town/suburb in the southwest that doesn't allow downspout rainwater collection, because rain belongs to the local government.

There's probably some important stuff in this bill, giving the government the teeth to take on the ConAgras, which is good because we can't. On the other hand, those same teeth are probably written in such a way they do threaten the little guys.

They list who's for and against it, I wonder if that's before or after amendments? Of course the amendments would probably tell how this bill is being shaped, but the sky-is-falling claims are pretty far fetched. You can't grow your own food? C'mon, maybe you can't grow and sell it? Illegal to have seed? Maybe patented modified seed?

I'll stick to soylent green.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
No, but I did read there's some town/suburb in the southwest that doesn't allow downspout rainwater collection, because rain belongs to the local government.
I've read the same thing about a few places. Water rights in the desert southwest are a very contentious issue. The pie has been divided by powerful interests going back years and you can't just start collecting water from anywhere on your own. Some towns may not enforce it, but every drop of water belongs to someone, even if it just fell from the sky onto your roof. Crazy.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Snopes says Mostly False
I did try to cut and paste salient points, but the page won't let me.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Water rights are huge here in the South. Many say that in the next 50 years it will be the new oil.