Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
lookout123
changed his status to single

Alternate Universe

I recently witnessed two Arsenal fans arguing over the manager's "obvious mistakes" in a recent game. They went on and on about how if he had done X or Y we would have won. That got me to thinking a little bit, first in the context of football. Sure, he could have substituted this attacking player sooner to give the team more of an edge, but that doesn't necessarily mean a win is inevitable does it? The other team would make choices and changes as well to deal with the new situation, they wouldn't just keep doing what they did before would they? So making X change wouldn't necessarily produce the desired result in all instances right?

So being me I took that line of thought into politics and world events which inevitably led me back to the cellar. The Cellar is a swirling cauldron of intelligence, experience, common and not so common sense with 200% of the daily recommended allowance of opinion thrown in to boot.

So put your thinking cap on and travel through time and space to an alternate universe. Al Gore and our beloved GWB are locked in a friendly round of legal wrangling to decide who will sit in the awful office. The supreme court has returned their decision and to everyone's surprise they've decided Al and George are too inept for the job. They've named you as the next President of the United States.

You are the President. You make the decisions. You set the course. Assuming that the same basic historical events are in place in the alternate universe - what do you do? Remember we're sitting here with hindsight which isn't quite at 20-20 yet, but we're approaching 40-20.

How do you respond to the recession that is beginning as you take office?

What is your military and defense policy in general?

How do you respond when the Chinese are holding your AWACS flight crew in captivity?

How do you respond when planes crash into the WTC?

How do you respond when envelopes with white powder start showing up and killing people?

What do you do when you receive intelligence that Iraq has continued working on WMD?

Remember that each of your actions has a consequence, intended or not. Remember that the other players in the drama may or may not respond exactly how you'd like them to.

How would you have done things differently?