The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Holy Fuck.

I dont give a goddamn if you 'adult' males think Ibby is responding in an emotional immature way, because he has a GREAT point. If only you could walk in a PoC's shoes for ONE DAY, maybe you would get it.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

holy fuck indeed.

What makes you think I DON'T "get it"? Give me some example that indicates I don't understand racism. I'd like to hear one. Furthermore, show me an example of how Ibby's got some kind of advantage of understanding of racism over me. One last thing, what exactly is "his GREAT point"?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

From Wiki ...
Quote:
Supporters, however, say the incidents are the work of "a few bad apples", a small fringe that have unfairly maligned the movement
FWIW.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:33 AM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yeah, that works as an excuse if it isn't the leaders and founders of the movement making the racist comments.

The founder of the movement is not a 'fringe'.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
IamSam
Now living the life of a POW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Yeah, that works as an excuse if it isn't the leaders and founders of the movement making the racist comments.

The founder of the movement is not a 'fringe'.
Thank-you.

I have completely lost patience with the way it has become a cultural norm to sugar coat everything. I was bemused to discover that children no longer get an "F" on their report card if they fail a subject. Instead, they come home with a note from the school congratulating them on "qualifying" for a special class that will be held after school 2 or 3 days each week. There will be cookies provided and fun games to play. If this "fun" remedial schooling doesn't work, the kid gets promoted to the 4th grade, anyway.

Social Security and Medicare have morphed into something called "entitlements" instead of being earned benefits that almost every American worker has paid for through payroll deductions from their hard earned checks.

The social contract has turned into an "entiltlement," as well - consisting of a set of frivolous expenditures easily discarded in favor of maintaining the "defense" industry and keeping up the cash flow to Hallibuten. The 100,000 civilians killed in the Iraq war when we were "defending" ourselves from a country that had never attacked us were "collateral damage," and torture is now "enhanced interrogation."

The Bill of Rights was ruled null and void under something called the "Patriot Act." It is now "patriotic" to arrest citizens without letting them know what charges are being laid against them and hold them for some indefinate amount of time without trial - there is no more due process under the law, but that's OK because it's "patriotic."

The news media described 20 dead first graders as being "honored" by prayer vigils and through special funds set up in their memory. We used to honor someone (usually an adult) who gave up their life for the sake of some greater good. It is not an "honor" for a six year-old child to be slaughtered by a sociopath with a Bushmaster. It is a tragedy that we grieve ever happened and we mourn for the loss of those babies.

Billionaires are now called "job creators" and "small businessmen" when they outsource hundreds if not thousands of American jobs to China in order to increase dividends to stockholders who hold shares in a "small business" like Apple.

And there are no more people in the American South or anywhere else in the country, for that matter, who hold racist views. The Civil Rights movement of the 60's magically morphed Bubba into Atticus Finch and the few remaining Bubba's hiding out in a swamp somewhere are merely scattered members of the lunatic "fringe."

sent via a downed microwave tower on the Colorado Plateau

Last edited by IamSam; 01-09-2013 at 08:50 PM.
IamSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:45 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't dither about the word entitlements, it's been using interchangeably in official government documents since the programs were conceived. It carries no hidden agenda, it's simply a syn·o·nym, not a sin-of-name.

As for the rest of your rant, you go girl.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
IamSam
Now living the life of a POW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Don't dither about the word entitlements, it's been using interchangeably in official government documents since the programs were conceived. It carries no hidden agenda, it's simply a syn·o·nym, not a sin-of-name.
Sure, the word "entitlement" began life as a scrappy immigrant from France and quickly found employment in the legal profession, helping to define the rights of various groups and inndividuals.

Alas, the term fell upon hard times when people began to use it as a pejorative:

"Suzy thinks she'd entitled to get everything for free just because she has some sob story." or "Black people need to get rid of their sense of entitlement and go find a job like the rest of us."

Poor old entitlement now resides in the inner city, uses food stamps and welfare, and produces a child every year by a different father at the expense of tax payers.

Quote:
As for the rest of your rant, you go girl.
Heh! Don't encourage me.

sent via the cold front which is now producing all that snow falling outside your windows

Last edited by IamSam; 01-10-2013 at 01:34 PM.
IamSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
Seconded.
A third kudos. Eloquently stated.

Political correctness is necessary when an ego overwhelms or displaces logical thought. IamSam is completely correct by having little patience with those who need things sugarcoated. Who may even deny their inability to cope with hard reality. Who will even post
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ View Post
Go fuck yourself.
using insults, soundbytes, and cheapshots to defend emotional biases or racist attitudes. Such emotions is sufficient to deny reality when sugarcoating does not work.

An emotional type will probably assume he has been labeled a racist rather grasp logic in that paragraph. Jumping to an emotional conclusion rather than read, grasp, or address the point.

We know which party most attracts and condons racists. As demonstrated so bluntly during Sen Strom Thurmond's last birthday party. So we should call it a 'disagreement' or 'misconception'? Hell no. A racist needs political correctness; to even deny he is racist. Only political correctness or angry denial (similar concepts) will avert that reality.

The most emotional who therefore hate or support extremist Republican positions with politically correct rhetoric will also post profanity rather than admit to biases. A sharp difference from moderate Republicans who are now under attack by their own party. Republican party (especially Tea Party) is popular among 'fringe' (ie hate) groups. And other disenfranchised members of society who have plenty of anger rather than a logical grasp. Fringe types will even post profanity rather than admit to a problem common to their poltiical peers.

Profanity is desperation when politically correct (sugarcoated) spin is routinely challenged and exposed.

Last edited by tw; 01-10-2013 at 09:09 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:55 AM   #9
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Sam, that was awesome.

This line made me choke up a little (and it's a brilliant observation):

Quote:
It is not an "honor" for a six year-old child to be slaughtered by a sociopath with a Bushmaster. It is a tragedy that we grieve ever happened and we mourn for the loss of those babies.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Sam, that was awesome.
Seconded.

Ibs. I agree that racism (not the only form of discrimination as you know) is easier for WASPs to ignore.

But you don't have to be a horse to judge a horse race.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #11
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Yeah, what was that cookie? The price of taking no interest in public affairs is to ruled by evil men, or some such.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

You two should get a room where you can "carry on" in private.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Looks like Rove and the Tea Party are going to war...

Quote:
Karl Rove's American Crossroads has started a new group to make sure the 2014 Senate races produce zero Todd Akins. But it turns out some conservatives like Rove less than Akin. The Conservative Victory Project will spend money in Republican primaries to defeat far-right candidates, The New York Times' Jeff Zeleny reported this weekend. Republicans like Rove see Republicans like Akin, who failed to beat vulnerable Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill, and Richard Mourdock, who knocked off Indiana's Sen. Richard Lugar in the GOP primary but failed to win the general election in a state that Mitt Romney won by 10 points, are costing the party winnable Senate seats. The backlash was immediate.
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...vatives/61761/

Quote:
The battle for the heart and soul of the Republican Party has begun. On one side is the Tea Party. On the other side stand Karl Rove and his establishment team, posing as tacticians while quietly undermining conservatism.

Yesterday, the New York Times reported that the “biggest donors in the Republican Party” have joined forces with Karl Rove and Steven J. Law, president of American Crossroads, to create the Conservative Victory Project. The Times reports that this new group will dedicate itself to “recruit seasoned candidates and protect Senate incumbents from challenges by far-right conservatives and Tea Party enthusiasts who Republican leaders worry could complicate the party’s effort to win control of the Senate.” The group points to candidates like Christine O’Donnell in Delaware and Richard Mourdock in Indiana as examples of Tea Party primary picks going sideways in major Senatorial battles.
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...-war-Tea-Party
Old 02-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I find that a bit hard to follow, but the gist is that Rove and some others have realised that far-right types may win pre-selection but lose elections, is that it?

It's a bloody scary moment when the sensible sounding moderate in the group is Karl Rove.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #15
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
I find that a bit hard to follow, but the gist is that Rove and some others have realised that far-right types may win pre-selection but lose elections, is that it?
Basically. I do think it goes deeper than just electability but this is what Rove is saying publicly.

There are some major philosophical differences between the Establishment (Rove) and Tea Party Republicans and the fighting has steadily become more public since the election. Essentially, the two groups are in complete disagreement about why they lost and how to proceed from here. The Establishment Republicans see a shrinking demographic base while the Tea Party Republicans see "unpure" candidates. Therefore, the Establishment want to go left while the Tea Party wants to go right.