The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2004, 01:33 AM   #1
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Ascension of Christ

Quote:
<table border="2" id="liii.p1.1"> <tbody><tr valign="top" id="liii.p1.2"><td id="liii.p1.3">
Mark 16:15-20
</td><td id="liii.p2.1">
Luke 24:50-53
</td></tr><tr valign="top" id="liii.p3.1"><td valign="top" id="liii.p3.2">15. And he said to them, Go into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16. He who shall believe and be baptized shall be saved; but he who shall believe shall be condemned. 17. And these signs shall follow those who shall believe: In my name they shall cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.19. And after the Lord had thus spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of God. 20. And they went out and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word by accompanying signs.

</td><td valign="top" id="liii.p4.1">50. And he led them out as far as to Bethany, and lifted up his hands, and blessed them. 51. And it came to pass that, while he was blessing them, he withdrew from them, and was carried up into heaven. 52. And having worshipped him, they returned to Jerusalem with great joy, 53. And were always in the temple, praising and blessing God. Amen.

</td></tr></tbody> </table>
I started to just ask the question, "what happened to Jesus after he arose from the grave?" but realized i was just being lazy, and googled it. There's really not a whole lot about it. I read that he popped in and out for 40 days speaking to disciples here, Holy women there., etc. Then he ~ascended~ into 'heaven' whilst blessing his disciples. Jesus floated up into the air? I wish there had been a couple of better observers around at the time. I'd like to know what they mean by "taken up to heaven" and "was carried up into heaven". Did God reach down and pick him up? No, literally.....did he just keep getting higher and higher until they couldn't see him anymore, or did he kind of like, fade away up in the air a little bit? There are obvious question to follow those, but I really didn;t intend this to be a sarcastic thing. I am actually curious about this aspect for some reason. I'm not trying to convert anyone to atheism or anything, but I'd like to know what you Christians were taught and/or accept as the truth about the time after the ressurection. The details. If there are any. Looking into it, a bit, I see that he was also pretty much incognito for most of the time between age 12
Quote:
"When he was twelve years old" Jesus accompanied His parents to Jerusalem, 'according to the custom of the feast'; When they returned, the child Jesus remained in Jerusalem; and his parents knew it not." After three days, they found him in the Temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, hearing them, and asking them questions." It was on this occasion that Jesus spoke the only words that have come down from the period of His hidden life:
and somewhere between 27 and 30 yrs old.
And then crucified at age 30 or 34...maybe 33. but it was definitely in April.
Quote:
Researchers from Newton to Schaefer have essentially agreed on dates of lunar visibility, but not on the resultant crucifixion date. The two most accepted dates are Friday, AD 30 April 7, and Friday AD 33 April 3. It has been known that (Sir Isaac) Newton preferred Friday, AD 34 April 23, but his reasons apparently have been forgotten.
then the next Sunday, the stone is rolled back, and he arises, and goes ....where?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote