The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-25-2006, 11:43 PM   #16
Ibby
erika

I agree with almost all of that last one. Okay, the "liberal bed-wetters" bit irked me a bit, but I agreed with the bulk of it.

EXCEPT articles X and XI. From the writing I believe they may have, er, been written by someone else, nevermind the content.

But wow, the content of the last two articles... racism and religion. Yes, the country was founded with some religion mixed in, but with a specific legal seperation of church and state. What was that about changing the country's history?

And, if you didn't know, almost every country in the world has english signs, english news, english anything you want. More people know the word "hello" than any other word in the world. The whole world is englishizing for AMERICA. America could stand to have a few signs in multiple languages in areas with non-english-speaking majority.

And no, Bruce, that wasn't against you, I know you didn't write it, I was kinda venting I guess.
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:06 AM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No problem, Ibram.
Are you sure the whole world isn't "englishizing" or rather Englishized, for England.... you know, the empire and all that?

English being the international standard of flight operations helps too.

Oh, I almost forgot....if you want to manipulate the world media to publicize your cause, English is essential.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-26-2006 at 05:09 AM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:26 AM   #18
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Quote:
This is an English speaking country. We don't care where you are from, English is our language. Learn it or go back to wherever you came from!
Could you explain exactly what about this statement you think is racist?? Race is not the same as language. You can't change who your parents are, but you most certainly can change what language you speak, especially if you are the one choosing to live in an area that doesn't speak your native tongue.
I don't know if I would've phrased it as "go back to wherever you came from". "Don't expect me to learn your language just because you won't learn mine", or "understand that if you can't communicate, you can't work" sound just as good.

What ever happened to <I>When in Rome, do as Rome does</I> ??
9th Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:37 AM   #19
Ibby
erika

Because "This is an English speaking country. We don't care where you are from, English is our language. Learn it or go back to wherever you came from!" was specifically designed against the large mexican and latin-american population in the US. You don't have to believe me, but I know it was. Yes, it also catches others, but spanish is the second most spoken language in the US.
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:40 PM   #20
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

I think you're stretching it a bit there, expecting them to learn the language is not being against them. I think the fact that the mexican and latin american population always pops up in a language debate shows that that particular group above others is showing an unwillingness to integrate into American society. I noticed something disturbing at many of the protest marches, Mexican flags were being waved and held at the front of the groups. I take offence at this because they're saying they deserve rights as Americans, but yet they fly a different country's flag???
Old 04-27-2006, 02:17 PM   #21
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Yeah, you gotta hate those Irish.

I mean Mexicans, yeah. It's the Mexicans waving the flags on St. Patrick's day. I mean at the immigration rallies. Mexicans waving the flags at immigration rallies.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:26 PM   #22
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
Because "This is an English speaking country. We don't care where you are from, English is our language. Learn it or go back to wherever you came from!" was specifically designed against the large mexican and latin-american population in the US. You don't have to believe me, but I know it was. Yes, it also catches others, but spanish is the second most spoken language in the US.
Yes, but how many people who speak Spanish speak it exclusively? See, I actually live in a place with a Hispanic population growing ever closer to being a majority, and the Spanish language barrier isn't much of an issue here--most Hispanics know at least a little English, and they try very hard to communicate. Personally, if I heard someone say "...English is our language. Learn it or go back to wherever you came from!" I'd assume they were speaking to an Asian immigrant. It has been my experience that those cultures (who are an extreme minority in my area) are far less willing to learn English than Hispanics are. To sum up...

Quote:
You don't have to believe me, but I know it was.
I believe you sincerely believe it... but you don't really know who the statement was or was not aimed at.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:50 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
Naw, that statement and sentiment was around long before I was born. It was used on the Italians and Polish and Chinese and probably the Indians used it on the English.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:31 AM   #24
rkzenrage

The difference is that the Native Americans did not have one language, a single nation, schools to be taught in or goverment forms to be filled out & government employees to train that taxpayers have to pay for.