The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2004, 02:42 PM   #1
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

I almost went to jail today!

I was pulled over taking my kids to school this morning for having an outdated inspection sticker on my car (thanks, Honey!). As I was getting back in the car to leave, the officer called "Excuse me, Ms. Says! Hold on a second..." and listens to his radio for a minute. He tells me my license is suspended. I've only ever had one speeding ticket, last spring, when my husband was in the hospital. I remember telling my dad about it and asking him to take care of it for me, since I was at the hospital almost constantly for several weeks. He'd been picking up my mail and so forth. Apparently it slipped both our minds.
I had to call husband at work (actually the dispatcher did it) and have him come pick us up and take us home. My speeding ticket, now with court costs and fines, totalled $234.36. I just got off the phone after paying the court with a credit card, and called the DMV number that the woman at the courthouse gave me. Yes, she said, they had gotten my receipt by fax. "Great," thinks me, "I'll have my trusty friend Angie hustle me up there tomorrow, and pick up my spanking-new license tomorrow. I hated that photo anyway!" Things are great, and I begin mentally making plans to take the brats to the county fair. "Not so fast!" screeched the shrill DMV harpy. "You must bring your birth certificate and marriage license, then pay a $45 reinstatement fee, and $12 for your new license." Hmmm, I think to myself. Will a human sacrifice work instead? Because certainly that would be easier. Now I have to go to the health department (which is another friggin' STATE, I might add) and get my birth certificate, and rummage around between the county and city records folks and find a marriage license. And go to the DMV, and do the other shit.
This wouldn't be nearly so bad if I had a few days to deal with it, but I have a new job that starts Monday, and I must drive there. I also must transport my kids to school and back tomorrow (they never made it today).
I just talked to Angie, and she has to work half a day tomorrow, from 6am to noon. So I can't even beg a ride from her. Grrr!
The moral of the story is, boys and girls, Thou shalt not fuck with the Department of Motor Vehicles. Yea, verily.
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote