The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-06-2003, 04:08 PM   #1
Grace
Layperson

bushisms

Bush is such a jackass. I find it entertaining to laugh at the things he says.

My personal favorites are his words
"compassionativity" and "missunderestimated"
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:42 PM   #2
juju
no one of consequence

Yeah, but I'm sure if I was subjected to as much scrutiny I would make an even bigger ass of myself. Sometimes I say really, really stupid things.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 05:16 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Sometimes? Hah!

Dave posted this back in February...funny stuff.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 05:26 PM   #4
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

My favorite is stra-tee-gery
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 08:19 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

On the up side, unlike most politicos, people really listen to his speeches.
They don't want to miss the punch lines. (rimshot)
Old 05-06-2003, 11:13 PM   #6
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Hey, here's my favorite:
"If people say that here and there someone has been taken away and maltreated, I can only reply: You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs."

Oh wait, that wasn't Bush talking about the people shipped to Cuba. It was Georing. My mistake.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:34 PM   #7
ScottSolomon
Coronation Incarnate

Location: On the skin of a tiny planet in an obscure galaxy in a lackluster corner of the universe.
Whit,

I thought Stalin said that. Oh well.

My favortie Bushism is the old Texas saying:

"fool me once, shame on... shame on me. Fool me twice... fool me can't get fooled again."

And I really love the way he says "nukular"

Just my 2 bits

Bertrand Russell

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

George Orwell
ScottSolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 11:59 PM   #8
juju
no one of consequence

That poor guy is never gonna live that down.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 12:19 AM   #9
Billy
Professor

How do the tax reducing go on?

I don't know if Bush's tax reducing paln is well going on.
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 02:08 AM   #10
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Scott, according to what I read Goering said that in 1933. It wouldn't surprise me if Stalin did say something that would be translated to that as well.

Billy, well in what sense? It'll go through, if that's what you mean. Will it do any good? Bush's people will swear it will and later that it did. The democrats will swear otherwise. Without being able to test it under very similar circumstances it's all just speculation and who you want to believe. (or disbelieve)
Old 05-07-2003, 10:14 AM   #11
ScottSolomon
Coronation Incarnate

Location: On the skin of a tiny planet in an obscure galaxy in a lackluster corner of the universe.
The vast majority of economists with any professional integrity say that Bush's tax cut - at this time - will not boost the economy - and would send us much deeper in debt. I think that this is the goal of the Bush administration. I think they are trying to load the federal budget with so much debt that Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, HUD and every other evil communist spending program gets cut.

Supply siders love to use the incredibly simplistic argument that lowering taxes allows people to build their businesses further. This of course is true, but it is only about 1/50th as complicated as the actual systems involved. Their simple analogy is easy to spit out to people - because they don't really know any better- but it ignores the current high level of capital investment, the lack of demand, the decrease in real wages of the average family, the increase in healthcare costs, a shift away from the manufacturing sector, and preexisting liquid assets in the hands of the majority of dividend receivers. Most economists assume that - in the short term - the tax cut will boost the secondary markets, but if the primary markets do not have an increase of demand and consumer spending, the stock market gains will be taken as profit and we will be back in the same boat - a few hundred billion dollars further in debt. In the long term, the economy may continue to remain in the doldrums as the number of retirees drawing upon social security climb, and the debt load becaomes more acute. The government would then need to take more drastic measures to either cut the major spending programs or start printing money. Either case will be disasterous for a major chunk of the American populace.

But hell, Bush won the war ( with the most powerful military the world has ever seen against a 2 bit dictator choked by 12 years of sactions ) - such an awesome feat surely means he is infallible.

Bertrand Russell

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

George Orwell
Old 05-07-2003, 10:46 AM   #12
dave

Quote:
I think that this is the goal of the Bush administration. I think they are trying to load the federal budget with so much debt that Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, HUD and every other evil communist spending program gets cut.
I think this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You don't actually think, do you?
Old 05-07-2003, 10:52 AM   #13
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Scott's vision is a bit extreme IMO, but I wouldn't be surprised if the budgets of HUD, HHS, and the EPA are among the first to be cut, and are the departments that get the deepest cuts, in the next couple of budgets.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 11:19 AM   #14
ScottSolomon
Coronation Incarnate

Bush adviser Grover Norquist has summed up this strategy: "My goal is to cut government in half in twenty-five years, to get it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub."

This has been the dream of the conservative movement since the Coors Brothers founded of the Heritage Foundation. Things like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, etc are only crumbs to make the peasants happy. Bush's budget has cut just about every social program or offset it to the cash crunched states while it increased the defense budget and cut taxes for the rich. I don't think this is a dumb conclusion to draw at all.

Bertrand Russell

George Orwell
Old 05-07-2003, 03:52 PM   #15
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
by scotty the vast majority of economists with any professional integrity say that Bush's tax cut - at this time - will not boost the economy - and would send us much deeper in debt.
I'm gonna go ahead and assume that your test for professional integrity has exactly one question: "Do you think the bush tax cut will send us deeper in debt?"

-sm
smoothmoniker is offline   Reply With Quote