Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-13-2019, 04:28 AM   #1
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
That begs the question, why don't you get your own?
Unfortunately, it would be difficult, if not impossible, to give a dog the required exercise as there is a limit to how long I can leave Dad on his own.

His balance is poor and his mobility even worse so he uses a three wheeled walker to get about the house.

My worry would be that he'd have a fall or get himself into some other sort of trouble while I was out with Fido.

It's for that reason that I make an early start to the weekly grocery shop.

If I leave the house at about 0730 I can be back about 0930.

The wedge of newspapers that he has usually keeps him occupied for the couple of hours I'm out, but once he has finished those all bets are off!
Old 07-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
Unfortunately, it would be difficult, if not impossible, to give a dog the required exercise as there is a limit to how long I can leave Dad on his own.
Boing Boing - excuse level weak
Quote:
My worry would be that he'd have a fall or get himself into some other sort of trouble while I was out with Fido.
What kind of trouble that couldn't wait 20 minutes till you get back, and if by some strange reason he did that, he'd sure as hell learn to not pull that shit until you got back. Respect is a two way street.
Quote:
It's for that reason that I make an early start to the weekly grocery shop. If I leave the house at about 0730 I can be back about 0930.
Two hours? Your old ass couldn't keep up with a pup for two hours, it doesn't take that long to give them a good workout. You could also sit on the back step and throw a ball for 10 minutes without disrupting the household routine, and still make a pup want to rest.
Quote:
The wedge of newspapers that he has usually keeps him occupied for the couple of hours I'm out, but once he has finished those all bets are off!
See respect above.

Name:  puppy.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  16.5 KB

I will admit there is a danger of Dad usurping ownership and telling you to get your own dog.
C'mon Man, you're overthinking this, lead with your heart.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:49 PM   #3
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Go figure!
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:35 AM   #4
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Stupid dog tricks. They'll eff you up every time.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:14 AM   #5
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Have you considered taking on a senior dog, or breed that requires less walking?

Greyhounds can manage on very little in terms of daily walks - as long as they get a decent run once a week
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:26 AM   #6
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Have you considered taking on a senior dog, or breed that requires less walking?
It has crossed my mind to take on an older dog but I'd quite like to have one that's going to be around for a few years before the problems of (canine) old age set in.

Quote:
Greyhounds can manage on very little in terms of daily walks - as long as they get a decent run once a week
The trouble is I'd still feel guilty about one being in or around the house most of the day and not getting the attention I feel it should deserve!
Old 07-13-2019, 06:33 AM   #7
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Fair enough. But most greyhounds I've known have been most content to mainly snooze
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #8
sexobon

They have ups and downs in their capabilities throughout the day. There's even a term for those who do substantially worse during the evenings - sundowners. Letting their Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) go unmonitored for any part of the day is always a calculated risk. While those doing the watching have to make time for their own ADLs, a dog can really complicate matters if it doesn't adjust to everyone's schedules. Maybe get a robo-dog, like K9. Program it to help with alarms and reminders.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #9
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Goddamn fig trees in the backyard are dropping 4-5 figs an hour. Goddamn dog keeps eating them. Goddamn dog's stomach keeps puking them back up. Goddamn dog keeps eating its own vomit.

I try to go out there and pick up the new figs every time the goddamn dog goes out to pee. But the goddamn dog doesn't like this new pattern and is now peeing and pooping in the house all the time instead.

Goddamn fig trees.
Update: we have now purchased 50 feet of plastic garden netting and 15 stomp-down fence posts, and have completely walled off the portion of the yard beneath the fig trees. The dogs and the fig trees can all go fuck themselves.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:32 AM   #10
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
… The dogs and the fig trees can all go fuck themselves.
A doggone good figure of speech.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:19 AM   #11
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I remember beer. Fondly.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:03 PM   #12
monster
I hear them call the tide

tbh this shit barely counts as beer
I am sorry it is only a memory for you, that sucketh Gone forever or just for now (if that's not too nosy)?
Old 09-30-2020, 01:31 PM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Well, I've drank a few, total, here and there.

But, basically, no alcohol for us diebetix.

If I know I might have a beer, or a drink, I don't take the Metformin that morning, nor that night after a drinkiedrink.

I've read a beer or two shouldn't hurt, but...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:44 AM   #14
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 20+ years ago. I have a drink every once in a while, just don't do every day, and I eat sweet BBQ sauce just not all the time. You can go out and eat a Cheeze Burger and a beer and it wont hurt, just don't do it all the time. Watch your Blood Sugars and take your Insulin appropriately.
PM me if you have any questions.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #15
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I'll admit that I don't quite get why beer is so bad. There's only 6.5 grams of carbohydrates in a Bud Light. And no sugar (well, not that kind of sugar, y'know what I mean).

Tags
limburger