The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-19-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I doubt very much that bruce intended his comment to denigrate the syrian refugees - but the implied assumption that, unlike previous waves of refugees, the syrian refugees would be particularly uneducated, unskilled and unable to communicate in english definitely plays into an unpleasant and unfair stereotype.
These are not the people you've worked with in the past. From what I’ve seen, these are not emigres, they’re refugees. They didn’t liquidate their assets and arrange passage, but grab what they could carry and run. And after walking for days dropped half what they thought they could carry, to what they could actually carry.

Normal people have their wealth tied up in real estate and personal possessions, not something easily transported or easily liquidated in a war zone. Make no mistake, Syria is a war zone and has been for some time. Even if these refugees worked in an office or have manual skills in a trade, that doesn’t automatically apply to jobs here. Why even a skilled Syrian carpenter is probably used to that archaic metric system.

Most are likely Muslims of some flavor, may or may not speak some English, and have little or no money. To plunk them in Detroit, where they don’t have the support of a community similar to themselves, expecting them to find employment paying enough for a family to live on, no less rehab an abandon (and likely gutted house), is ludicrous.
Christ, the natives, who are familiar with navigating Detroit, are struggling to keep their head above water, working multiple jobs just to feed the family.
This will tell you what's happening in Detroit.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #2
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
<snip>To plunk them in Detroit, where they don’t have the support of a community similar to themselves,
expecting them to find employment paying enough for a family to live on,
no less rehab an abandon (and likely gutted house), is ludicrous. <snip>
The concept of settling refugees in Detroit was only one of several presented in my earlier post.
I don't remember having previously seen or read about such an idea.
But as this tread has developed, I did a search in Google News.
Guess what ! The concept was not original with me.

Here is one article from just last September... It includes a reference to an opinion piece
published in May of 2015: Let Syrians Settle Detroit

It is just a little ironic that the Governor of Michigan, Rick Snyder,
who now is a GOP ringleader of this witch hunt, was a serious advocate
of welcoming Syrian refugees into Michigan, and specifically settling them in Detroit.

Syrian refugees eager to build new lives in metro Detroit
Detroit Free Press - Niraj Warikoo, - September 30, 2015
Up to 100 Syrian refugees have arrived in Michigan this year, with more expected in coming months.

Quote:
Gazing through his living room window in a quiet block in Garden City,
a 48-year-old Syrian refugee ponders his new life in America.
"In Syria, there's no safety; it's too dangerous," Moustafa Assad said
from a sparsely furnished home he rents, with his two sons sitting next to him on his couch.
"At least here, it's safe for them. There's no war. ... I want to stay here
for my kids' future so they can go to school and learn."

Assad's hopes are echoed by up to 100 Syrian refugees who have arrived in Michigan this year,
one of almost 1,500 who came to the U.S. in 2015, fleeing Syria's four-year civil war and refugee camps.

In Michigan, state officials, elected representatives and Arab-American social service agencies
are keen to welcome refugees, saying they could help the region and repopulate areas like Detroit.

An opinion piece in the New York Times in May, cowritten by a Stanford University professor
who called for bringing Syrian refugees to Detroit, has sparked discussion about how refugees could help the city.

"This will add to the population of Detroit," said Haifa Fakhouri, president of the Arab American and Chaldean Council.
"And it will bring economic benefits."

Fakhouri, U.S. Sen. Gary Peters, D-Mich., and Gov. Rick Snyder say the state should be welcoming.
On Tuesday, Snyder said that refugees can be an asset to Michigan's economy,
saying that some of them "were professionals; they were people who hire people and tend to create jobs."

Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan said through a spokesman that "everyone is welcome in Detroit, including refugees from Syria.
My point is that quite a few government officials and community leaders
have looked into and supported this is as a valid concept for Detroit.

At least until the GOP scare tacticians got busy...
BE AFRAID ... BE AFRAID ... BE AFRAID

Yes, I know. I have cherry picked items for this post.

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

Syrian Refugees Don’t Pose a Serious Security Threat (Cato)

Of the 859,629 refugees admitted from 2001 onwards, only three have been convicted of planning terrorist attacks on targets outside of the United States, and none was successfully carried out. That is one terrorism-planning conviction for every 286,543 refugees that have been admitted. To put that in perspective, about 1 in every 22,541 Americans committed murder in 2014. The terrorist threat from Syrian refugees in the United States is hyperbolically over-exaggerated and we have very little to fear from them because the refugee vetting system is so thorough.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
The Gov of Michigan is one of the ringleaders of this witch-hunt.

Imagine how many vacant houses in Detroit could be made into homes by Syrian refugees.
Maybe these refugees would even be willing to fix them up a bit, and pay taxes on them,
and work in the community, and have kids, and join the military, and ... you know,
the same sort of things other refugees have done when given asylum in the US.

( Some might even become Republicans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
The concept of settling refugees in Detroit was only one of several presented in my earlier post.
I think you better reread that post I was responding to. For the convenience of your failing memory, I've brought the entire post here, but go ahead and check, it's post #46, I'll wait. Now please point out these "several ideas" in that post you claim I was ignoring.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:14 AM   #5
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

In the late 80s I worked for a cab company, that was owned by Iranians. Max one of the owners , very proudly told me that he came over on a student visa and never left. They didn't pay their taxes either. I was glad to be out of there.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:33 AM   #6
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

So we first send all our refugee applicants to England for three years. If they haven't killed anyone during that time, they can come to the United States. That way TWO countries get to benefit from all of the refugees' wonderful attributes. You know the attributes I'm talking about, the ones that enabled them to manage their native countries so well. It's a win - win plan for Syrian refugees and Americans and isn't that what's really important. The others are only bit players here.

Just sayin'.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #7
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Where did so many American Noble prize winners come from? Harvard? Stamford? Yale? An example of how the emotional make conclusions. Topping that list is City College of NY. Because most productive and great Americans come here without education, often without English. They come here destitute and desperate. Immigrants historically are more patriotic American than fools who worship a flag, sing patriotic songs, and hype patriotic rhetoric.

The latter explain why we massacred 50,000 American soldiers for no useful purpose in Vietnam. And why we massacred 5000 soldiers uselessly in Iraq.

For younger ones who did not yet live through it, we now have wacko extremist rhetoric trying to get us into another pathetically useless war based in emotions. And by completely ignoring fundamental facts well understood and proven even 2000 years before Columbus was born.

Extremists want to see terrorism as a largest threat. If emotion was properly focused, then they would be attacking evil automobiles and beer. Numbers say automobiles and alcohol kill far more.

Why a sudden increase in the death rate of white, middle aged men? Something more dangerous than terrorism gets ignored when emotions replace adult thought processes.

Only the emotional blame all Syrian refugees because only one terrorist may have been from Syria. Fact that most others were local citizens somehow gets lost. Because the emotional only know from their feelings - facts and reality be damned. Watch the emotional hype fear and loathing rather than first learn facts. Facts such as how we all got here and why extremists exist.

Refugees are not are a threat. Extremists (on all sides) threaten us all. Current extremist rhetoric that wants more war is more dangerous than terrorism. Same extremists even hype immigrants as evil - rather than look in a mirror.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

~ we actually need cheap labor in this country right now ~
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:13 AM   #9
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
~ we actually need cheap labor in this country right now ~
America's unemployment rate has never been this low since George Jr began damage to the American economy. Last time unemployment was this low, George Jr had only been President for three months.

Never forget facts. The emotional fear (never learn facts) because rhetoric has told them Obama is evil. Same extremists who loved George Jr (ie President Cheney) also forget another evil created because emotion replaced adult thought. It has taken this long to undo extremists damage to the economy. We need immigrants. We have finally restored the American economy to where it was when Clinton finished. We finally have healthy employment numbers.

Another problem is traceable to what emotional extremism did in 2003. Today's terrorism is directly traceable to actions by that President and his extremists: Mission Accomplished.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:06 PM   #10
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
[Paraphrasing mine.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
[Paraphrasing mine.]

Fact: There is no right to emigrate to the United States.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Syrian refugees.

Fact: We can get all the immigrants we need from our neighbors to the south.

Let's first be good neighbors and in doing so set the example for Syria's neighbors to own up to their responsibilities in their region.

Fact: The US immigration program was briefly halted and then overhauled after the 9/11 attacks and refugee applicants are subject to the highest level of security checks of any type of traveler to the U.S.

This didn't happen without valid reason. So many US government run or contracted programs have failed to maintain their standards that citizens asking for a pause in any of them to ensure they can meet increasing demands is entirely justified.

Just sayin'.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:38 AM   #11
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
My penis. My penis. My penis.
Extremists are empowered by what other extremists do. It justifies hate - and his cheapshots. Quoted was the source of his cheapshots, hate, and extremism.

Everyone has done best possible to filter out radical threats. The program has been successful. Filter means some will always be missed. 100% filtering is impossible. But extremists want 100% filtering to keep them all out - as much as possible. Most immigrants are moderates - therefore must be evil.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #12
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I heard on the radio that Trump was advocating all US muslims being registered on a database and carrying special identification.

There's a word for that kind of shit.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:13 PM   #13
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I heard on the radio that Trump was advocating all US muslims being registered on a database and carrying special identification.

There's a word for that kind of shit.
Yeah, he talks too much: Trump is the tw of politicians.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #14
sexobon

Tw, you seem to be obsessed with dicks, are you a latent homosexual?

Your developmental disability makes you see everyone who disagrees with you as an extremist. It's not real, it's your delusion. Many of those who have differing opinions have access to information that you do not have. You're completely dependent on open source information and are quite frankly not very good at interpreting it; because, you haven't lived it...you're just an armchair commentator. When you talk too much about these things while not being well grounded in reality, it makes you look like a whacko moderate and reflects poorly on all moderates. We normal moderates would appreciate it if you would not identify yourself with us anymore. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:52 AM   #15
tw

If extremists were thinking as adults, then their hate would focus on Belgiums. Belgium was the source of terrorism. But political handlers have told extremists to hate Syrians. Syrians are easier targets for hate.