The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

.bin files bringing me down

One of my computer illiterate clients, who coincidentally happens to use a mac, keeps putting things up on her ftp site by dragging the files into her address bar rather than using an FTP client. It's been a long time since I left mac world and I guess you don't need an ftp client if you are talking to other people in your secret mac club.

Despite having Stuffit, when I open the .bin files, they end up being 0k. The .bin files are from 50k - 460k.

Another thing that happens a lot is the file comes through corrupted. Emailing is no better. For a variety of reasons, it is beyond my client's ability to access a file and put it in an email. (today: "I don't know how to attach a folder to the email") I did not want to suggest zipping it for the reason of being unable to open the zipped files. I suggested attaching the individual files to the email and for some reason the send failed. (it was far below the file size restriction of gmail)

So I am back to figuring out how to successfully open her .bin files.

I am able to open other people's .bin files however. As a side note this person habitually ignores pop up messages as she uses her computer.

Any help would be appreciated.