The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-10-2002, 09:47 PM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Let the Madness Begin

The conference tournaments have been played, people prayed, and the NCAA has spoken.

HOORAY FOR MARCH MADNESS!!!

Given that sports IS entertainment, I figured this to be the spot for an NCAA tournament thread.

The format: The top seeded teams get to play their first few games close to home. I think it will work to their advantage, particularly for Maryland (playing only 20 minutes from home at the MCI Center in Washington).

Some of the lower-seeded teams luck out as well: Tulsa and Valparaiso (both playing in St. Louis), Southern Illinois and Murray State (both playing in Chicago), Hampton (playing in Washington), and Winthrop and Charlotte (playing in Greenville, SC).

My personal faves: Of course, Maryland, Missouri, and Illinois are in. No real surprise there. Penn played a great game last night, easily taking the Ivy League. And I'm pleasantly surprised that UI-Chicago and UC-Santa Barbara are in as well.

The seedings: I'm not overly surprised, with the exception of Gonzaga. Then again, I haven't watched basketball a whole heck of a lot this year.

Possible upsets: Missouri could knock off Miami. BC could take Texas. And Penn could upset California. My personal hope for this tournament: I hope either UI-Chicago or Holy Cross pull off miraculous upsets.

Final four: I'm actually going to go with the number one seeds--all four of them. Kansas over Maryland. Duke over Cincinnati. Duke over KU in the final. (I hate Duke and Kansas, but I concede their awesome power.)
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 10:03 PM   #2
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Entertainment? But it's... BASKETBALL.

Eeuuuuuugh.

(Hockey uber alles.)
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 10:15 PM   #3
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by vsp
Entertainment? But it's... BASKETBALL.

Eeuuuuuugh.

(Hockey uber alles.)
Hey, I like hockey too, but we still have a few more weeks until the end of the season. Then, I promise you, I will start an NHL playoffs thread.

(What the hell is up with the Western Conference, anyway? The 5-8 seeds separated by only 2 points!)
Old 03-10-2002, 11:06 PM   #4
dave

Maryland will win it this year.

/me is a Marylander at heart
Old 03-11-2002, 06:32 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

Its funny about basketball, I really wouldn't cross the street to watch any bball, except for the NCAA. Its just a great format. The dark horses have a legitamit shot and the players give a crap. Its great. More importantly, this is a World Cup summer and the US beat Ecuador yesterday for the first time ever, in a not so "friendly". In '94 we had a new baby and Papa had an excuse to sit in the rocker and watch all the ABC coverage, ahhhhh... nice.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 08:18 AM   #6
dave

Yep. The only time I care about basketball is the NCAA. Blah blah blah, Terps won, big deal.

Ooooh! It's March! Anyone know what the scores were at halftime?
Old 03-11-2002, 06:36 PM   #7
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
More importantly, this is a World Cup summer and the US beat Ecuador yesterday for the first time ever, in a not so "friendly".
Yeah, I watched most of that. That was a rough game...but a hard-fought win. Ecuador just couldn't get it into their zone very often. I have high hopes for the US this year.

One of the benefits in relocating to Baltimore--I can watch DC United again.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:36 PM   #8
elSicomoro

Re: Let the Madness Begin

Quote:
Originally posted by me on March 10th
Possible upsets: Missouri could knock off Miami. BC could take Texas. And Penn could upset California. My personal hope for this tournament: I hope either UI-Chicago or Holy Cross pull off miraculous upsets.
Missouri 93, Miami 80

You heard it here first...Mizzou-RAH!!!

Holy Cross lost, but they were ahead at the end of the 1st half.

Now, for tomorrow:

--May UIC beat Oklahoma...I hate them almost as much as Kansas.

--Terps over Siena: Duh!

--Penn over Cal: Whoohoo Quakers!

--Interesting game of the day: Texas Tech vs. SIU. Bobby Knight is back...I'm curious to see if Texas has mellowed him out any.
Old 04-01-2002, 11:57 PM   #9
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
Maryland will win it this year.

/me is a Marylander at heart
UNF!
Old 04-02-2002, 06:09 PM   #10
elSicomoro

FEAR THE TURTLE!!!
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2002, 06:16 PM   #11
dave

TESTUDO OWNS YOU.
Old 04-02-2002, 06:22 PM   #12
dave

Re: Let the Madness Begin

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Final four: I'm actually going to go with the number one seeds--all four of them. Kansas over Maryland. Duke over Cincinnati. Duke over KU in the final. (I hate Duke and Kansas, but I concede their awesome power.)
My Final Four was Pitt, Oklahoma, Kansas and Maryland. I had USC taking out Duke (oops!) and then Pitt making some big wins. Then they fell to Kent State, and that part of my bracket was shit on. But I had the rest of it down. I also won the pool here at work. Had Oklahoma and Maryland going to the final (oh well!) and Maryland winning it all (of course).

Unlike sycamore, I am not a blasphemer. I recognize and appreciate the awesome power of Dixon. How about that steal last night and the following layup? That was slick.

Anyway... this was the year I've enjoyed it most. Terps beat some hella good teams to get that title. Most deserved.

I sat last night after the game in disbelief... I just saw the Terrapins win the NCAA championship.

I smiled for about 30 minutes.

GGs Maryland.
Old 04-02-2002, 06:55 PM   #13
elSicomoro

Re: Re: Let the Madness Begin

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
Unlike sycamore, I am not a blasphemer. I recognize and appreciate the awesome power of Dixon. How about that steal last night and the following layup? That was slick.
I stand corrected. Hey...can I be blamed? I love the Terps...I also saw them give up a hella huge lead to Duke in last year's Final Four. The majority of the game was as sloppy as a cheesesteak from Philip's in South Philly...but Maryland finally kicked in when they needed to.

Question of the day while I was at work: One of my co-workers, who knows I lived in Maryland, asked me, "Is a terrapin a bird?"

I now await my championship t-shirt and today's Baltimore Sun, which should arrive from my in-laws later this week.
Old 04-03-2002, 02:10 AM   #14
tokenidiot
how the gods kill

even though i'm not at all a fan of football, i smiled a lot when the ravens won the superbowl last year.

and rosie o'donnell's comment - "they won't win, no one's even heard of them" (eat it, you bitch) just makes me hate her more.

this is jeni, i'm using paul's computer. oops :p
tokenidiot is offline   Reply With Quote