The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #2701
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Police called after Google Street View captures 'fake' murder

A Google Street View image, mocked up by two men to look like a murder for the cameras, prompts a user to call police to report a 'killing'

Quote:
When Google Street View captured an image of a man holding a pick axe handle standing over an apparently lifeless body in the street, for one user there was only one answer.

After they saw the disturbing image they called police to report a murder and officers went round to the scene of the crime.

But when officers from Police Scotland turned up at Tomson Motor Company in Edinburgh they found Dan Thompson – the ‘dead’ man very much alive.

Mr Thompson, 56 and mechanic Gary Kerr, 31, had decided to take advantage of the Google Street View cameras and posed for the picture when they saw one of the cars coming.

"I recognised the Google car coming into the street from the camera tower on the top,” said Mr Thompson.

"We just thought we had to do something.

"This opportunity wasn't coming around very often so Gary grabbed a pick axe handle and we ran out into the street.

"Giles Street is in a U-shape so we had about a minute before it would pass us. It had to go around a car park to take various shots so that gave us some time.

"We decided really quickly what to do and I lay down while Gary stood over me with a pick axe handle."

The pair join a number who have posed for or been unintentionally captured by the Google Street View cameras, which provides panoramic views of streets and roads that can be viewed online and zoomed in to create a virtual map.

The two mechanics actually posed for the fake murder in August 2012 but forgot about the image as several months passed before the image was uploaded online.

It had been up on the site for a couple of months before police were called on August 2013 and went round to the garage - a year after the pair had posed for the picture.

Mr Thompson first heard from friends and family - including his son - who had spotted the scene.

He added: "It was a guy from one of our local parts supply companies who called us up and said he had seen us on Street View.

"But then someone else must have looked at it and thought it was a real attack and called the police.

"Then two of Lothian and Borders finest turn up with a report of a man being massacred outside a garage.

"They said it was hilarious and away they went.

"The picture had been up a long time before they came round. It was about a year after we had done it."

A number of infamous scenes have been captured by the mobile cameras including a man picking his nose while driving his car and a pair of snorkelers walking down the street.
Daily Telegraph.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #2702
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Ohio woman dies after walking into propeller at regional airport

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #2703
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

that's awful.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #2704
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
That model who got her head sliced open a few years back is getting married. I think I saw it on Huff Post.

She looked surprisingly good.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #2705
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5433091.html

Old 06-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #2706
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Not your typical propeller-head.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #2707
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
That model who got her head sliced open a few years back is getting married. I think I saw it on Huff Post.

She looked surprisingly good.
she had quite the prop-osal
Old 06-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #2708
Griff
still says videotape

I am offended by your propensity to make light of the pain in this plane of existence.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #2709
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Matchmaker British Blue heifer ‘Gorgeous’ takes centre stage at wedding

I understand that wedding guest lists can be the cause of some disagreement between future husband and wife.

In this instance there seems to have been a meeting of minds.

image hosting gif

Quote:
British Blue Heifer ‘Gorgeous’ was centre stage at a wedding on Saturday after being credited with playing ‘matchmaker’ to the newlyweds.

Steven O’Kane from Garvagh, Northern Ireland, and Katrina Donaldson from Huby, North Yorkshire, were married at All Hallows Church, Sutton On The Forest, North Yorkshire on Saturday May 31st.

Family and friends from all over the UK joined Steven and Katrina to celebrate their big day - but the real star of the show was ‘Gorgeous’ the British Blue heifer that was responsible for bringing the newlyweds together.

Katrina was attending the Great Yorkshire show last year and fell in love with ‘Gorgeous’ the British Blue heifer - she was impressed with the heifer and purchased her.

Steven was so impressed with the new owner of his beloved heifer he dated Katrina and both fell head over heels in love which culminated in a wonderful wedding day on Saturday.
Farming Life.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #2710
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm unfamiliar with the British Blue breed. Their website has a pdf extoling the breed's virtues.

It would seem to be a beef breed, but they refer to "Dairy Bred Carcase" and "Dairy Bred Heifers" which would lead me to believe they're dual purpose. Milk for a couple years then meat.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #2711
Griff
still says videotape

I think they're breeding beef British Blue bulls to dairy cows for ease of birth and I assume putting weight on fast.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #2712
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Could be, but this has been an established breed since 1982. Seems funny to crossbreed.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:57 AM   #2713
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I'm unfamiliar with the British Blue breed. Their website has a pdf extoling the breed's virtues.

It would seem to be a beef breed, but they refer to "Dairy Bred Carcase" and "Dairy Bred Heifers" which would lead me to believe they're dual purpose. Milk for a couple years then meat.

I don't have an agricultural background, although I do have friends in farming and have absorbed a little of their world through osmosis, so to speak.

Having said that, I do not recall ever hearing of a British Blue, although I know that the Belgian Blue has become increasingly popular here in recent years.

My neighbours, who manage two farms on a local estate, withdrew from beef farming some years ago. I was talking to Mrs Farming Friend a few days ago and she said that while a finished beef animal would probably fetch £1200 ($2000) the input costs were too high for them to end up with much of a profit. Also it wasn't unknown for them to suddenly depart this life.
As she said, they now concentrate on arable and dissuading sheep from discovering ever more inventive ways of committing suicide.

Anyway, next time I see either of them, I'll ask about the British Blue. Watch this space.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #2714
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Re: The British Blue

Lovely plumage.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:57 AM   #2715
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Gravdigr