The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-28-2004, 04:12 PM   #1
warch
lurkin old school

Missing Munitions

Well spunky local Minneapolis affiliate KSTP (go channel 5!) happened to have some interesting footage that backs up the Pre-Bush-spin pentagon official's statement that the munitions did not go missing before US troops got to them.

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S3723.html?cat=1kstp.com

This is from the report. Still not conclusive, but pretty hard to ignore:

Quote:
Using GPS technology and talking with members of the 101st Airborne Division, 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS has determined the crew embedded with the troops may have been on the southern edge of the Al Qaqaa installation, where the ammunition disappeared. The news crew was based just south of Al Qaqaa, and drove two or three miles north of there with soldiers on April 18, 2003

During that trip, members of the 101st Airborne Division showed the 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS news crew bunker after bunker of material labelled "explosives." Usually it took just the snap of a bolt cutter to get into the bunkers and see the material identified by the 101st as detonation cords.

also

Quote:
There were what appeared to be fuses for bombs. They also found bags of material men from the 101st couldn't identify, but box after box was clearly marked "explosive."

In one bunker, there were boxes marked with the name "Al Qaqaa", the munitions plant where tons of explosives allegedly went missing.
Bush supporters are spinning to blame some more bad apple soldiers and Russia and the nasty character of that bad man Kerry for this blunder. Just get on it already and figure out what the hell happened. This does not help me feel safer, its evidence to the contrary. Now a militant group is claiming to have some of the stuff...
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 04:22 PM   #2
warch
lurkin old school

Doh! you all were already talking about this! sorry for the duplicate. delete if you wanna....
Old 10-28-2004, 06:36 PM   #3
marichiko

No, that's OK. This warrents its own thread, and for me its helpful when threads don't wander so much, so thanks for putting it all down in a seperate spot. All I have to say is that it's like the US is HELPING Al QaQaa - letting the Bin Laden family flee the US right after 9/11 when no one else could fly, George Jr.'s statement that he wasn't troubled about finding Bin Laden, now this. I swear to God, George Jr. could appear on TV arm and arm with Bin Laden with all the members of AlQaQaa raising their rifles in a salute in the background and the American voter would STILL say, "Gotta vote for Bush. HE'S keeping us safe!" This willful blindness to Bush's inept bungling is downright frightening.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:59 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

This willful blindness to Kerry's inept politicking, attempts to be all things to all people, frightening voting record, shameless pandering, and unwillingness to release his DD214 (yeah, that's minor shit, but he still won't do it) is downright frightening.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 07:21 PM   #5
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Here is Kerry's DD214. From his website. The rest of that is opinion, so I've got no qualms ignoring it. And (IMHO, so you may in turn ignore it) all of it is minor shit compared to Bush's castastrophes.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 08:10 PM   #6
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
This willful blindness to Kerry's inept politicking, attempts to be all things to all people, frightening voting record, shameless pandering, and unwillingness to release his DD214 (yeah, that's minor shit, but he still won't do it) is downright frightening.
Why an intelligent person would believe that Kerry refused to release his DD214 when it's posted on the internet for the world to see is troubling. Why an intelligent person would compare the service record of Kerry to that of Bush who wouldn't even show up for his National Guard physical and find Bush to be the better man is troubling. Why an intelligent person would compare "inept" politicking with inept actions in regard to the security of this country is troubling. Why an intelligent person would compare "shameless pandering" (I presume you mean to the voters) with the Bush administration's overt ties with Halliburton et al and various big oil concerns is troubling. This is all "minor shit" in deed when compared with the major and very real damage that the Bush administration has brought down on all our heads.

While I do not agree with the conservative point of view, I can respect those who give an intelligent argument for their stance. Please don't ask us to waltz around the "elephant in the living room" with you, Wolf.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:18 PM   #7
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

This is the second time I've posted a link to Kerry's DD214.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:14 PM   #8
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
No, that's OK. This warrents its own thread, and for me its helpful when threads don't wander so much, so thanks for putting it all down in a seperate spot. All I have to say is that it's like the US is HELPING Al QaQaa - letting the Bin Laden family flee the US right after 9/11 when no one else could fly, George Jr.'s statement that he wasn't troubled about finding Bin Laden, now this. I swear to God, George Jr. could appear on TV arm and arm with Bin Laden with all the members of AlQaQaa raising their rifles in a salute in the background and the American voter would STILL say, "Gotta vote for Bush. HE'S keeping us safe!" This willful blindness to Bush's inept bungling is downright frightening.
*sigh*.

Al QaQaa is the weapons facility that the munitions have gone missing from; no one is "helping" it and it has no members. Bush allowing the non-terrorist (and no one has presented ANY evidence otherwise) members of the Bin Laden family to leave the United States was a decent and honorable thing to do -- or would you prefer he let them risk being lynched?
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:24 PM   #9
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by russotto
-- or would you prefer he let them risk being lynched?
Nah, he let them go home while other Middle-eastern and Islamic backgrounded people who live HERE were harassed, beaten and openly hated. Besides, if they weren't a threat and if the gov't had paid them no mind (publicly) then no one would have known they were Bin Laden kin (unless of course they went around announcing it).

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:41 PM   #10
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I've a feeling Wolf likes Bush because he thinks it's ok for every American citizen to be heavily armed at all times...and, if he's re-elected, all American citizens will pretty much have to be heavily armed at all times.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:43 PM   #11
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by russotto
*sigh*.

Al QaQaa is the weapons facility that the munitions have gone missing from; no one is "helping" it and it has no members. Bush allowing the non-terrorist (and no one has presented ANY evidence otherwise) members of the Bin Laden family to leave the United States was a decent and honorable thing to do -- or would you prefer he let them risk being lynched?
May I ask how ANYONE had a chance to find and/or present evidence in their favor or against it in the space of the two days between 9/11 and their departure? They could have been questioned in a reasonable manner at some safe facility and then put on their planes back home and no one would have had to wonder whether they knew anything or not. 5,000 people were killed. Surely, the Bin Laden family would have been willing to answer a few questions to help track down a mass murderer!
Old 10-29-2004, 04:30 PM   #12
warch
lurkin old school

OK. OK. Personally, The saudi family travel thing is not on the top of my gripe list. Nor is Kerry's windsurfing, or Vietnam protests, or Bush's drinking or bulge.

But the mismanagement of actions that send Americans into "harms way" and jeapordize American and global security is right up there. Number one with a bullet.

Questions:
Do you think the media coverage of this Al QaQaa story in the NYT is partisan politics or journalism? Should KSTP have not come forward with their video?
Now that we know munitions have gone missing...What went wrong?
And way more importantly...What can be done now to better secure other munitions and hazardous materials that do presently exist for the security of Iraqis, our troops, and terrorist targets around the world? Does this deserve adminstrative level attention?
Old 10-29-2004, 05:25 PM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
and, if he's re-elected, all American citizens will pretty much have to be heavily armed at all times.
No, that would be the result of Kerry win.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 05:42 PM   #14
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
In a parallel universe, perhaps.

The worst case scenario for the 2nd amendment in a Kerry administration is that the assault weapons ban will be put back in place--by Republicans in Congress.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:28 PM   #15
marichiko

Quote:
Yeah, you gotta wonder about Kerry when he makes statements like the following:

"Each and every child in this country is valuable because they are our future as a society. We cannot afford to lose a single child to ill-health, under-education, abuse, addiction, jail, or gun violence ." (emphasis my own)

That terminator dude was right. Kerry's just another wussie boy who doesn't want 6 year olds to have assault weapons, but wants them to go to school, instead. Jeez, the next thing you know they'll be letting black people in Florida vote. Where's it gonna stop?

BTW, Wolf, your pal, Bush, was against letting everyone have assault weapons. When are you going to start getting your information from someone other than Rush Limbaugh?