The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2004, 10:55 AM   #15
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

As someone who has gone through methadone treatment (and if this wasn't an anonymous internet message board, you can bet your ass you'd never hear me admit to it), I have mixed feelings about it. I was lucky enough to get a regualr doctor to prescribe it for me rather than going through a clinic. He had been treating me with Neurontin and extremely high doses of Librium, which did nothing but make me sleep constantly and feel even more depressed. At my next appointment I took him the huge bottle of Librium (there were over 400 capsules in it as I was taking 16 a day) and told him I was going to the methadone clinic. He became very upset, and told me I had no business in "that place" with "that kind" of people (he and my dad are buddies), and offered to prescribe it for me himself. I did 80 mg. a day for about 6 months, and weaned myself off it.
Coming off the methadone was FAR WORSE than coming off any other opiates, and my experience with them is far-reaching, long-lived and quite varied. I have never felt worse in my life than trying to quit that shit. Even though a two-week script was just $13 without using my prescription card (the doctor advised me not to use it and to go to a different pharmacy than I normally used), I found myself saving the scripts and buying the methadone for $10 a pill from a neighbor who was disabled due to a back injury who got it for pain. I knew if I had a brand-new shiny bottle of 54-142's, I'd be empty in a day or two. Buying it illegally made it easier for me to quit, even with my own prescription. My sinuses are completely shot forever from all the crap I put in them, and I'm lucky I didn't die.

As for the cop, meh. He just got caught. There are scores of others just like him who don't get caught. Smoking 5 times by breakfast sounds more like OCD than someone who likes to get high though.
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote