FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-08-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
Ronald Cherrycoke
Master Locutor

Tell truth about 'Mission Accomplished'

Tell truth about 'Mission Accomplished'

Jan. 16, 2007 12:00 AM

In the Jan. 10 Republic, cartoonist Steve Benson once again repeated the Big Lie concerning the "Mission Accomplished" banner unfurled when President Bush visited the USS Abraham Lincoln.

The banner signified the completion of the carrier's deployment, which was 290 days, longer than any other nuclear-powered aircraft carrier in history. The banner did not refer to our commitment in Iraq, nor did the White House demand its display. It was a Navy show, giving proper praise for a mission well done by the crew of the Abraham Lincoln.

True, the actual banner was fabricated in Washington but at the Navy's request. Isn't it time to stop perpetuating this lie?

As for proclaiming the "end of major combat operations," the statement was true but it's utterance was ill-advised since the public cares less about the manner of our troop casualties but rather more about stopping our losses altogether.

And so do I. - Joe Butterworth, Clarkdale
Ronald Cherrycoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:13 AM   #2
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Let me guess. Your family is being held hostage at Gitmo and these posts are part of some sort of plea bargain agreement.

I've gone completely 180º on the primate in the White House. He and Cheney should be held to account for this asinine war. He's Napolean without the brains. I can forgive him for being an idiot but not for misusing the United States Military and for turning America into a police state.

If Thomas Jefferson or Benjamin Franklin were here they would bitch slap that moron into the ground for what he's done.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Cherrycoke View Post
True, the actual banner was fabricated in Washington but at the Navy's request. Isn't it time to stop perpetuating this lie?
Yes, it is time to stop perpetuating the lie that it was requested by the Navy. It was requested by the Administration.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Well, Rumsfeld was involved in editing the speech before it was given. Why don't we see what he had to say?

Quote:
MR. WOODWARD: -- that the country is dealing with. And you know, one thing -- just one quick thing not on the list but someone told me about the other day, which I found fascinating. When the person that gave that speech on the Lincoln with the "Mission Accomplished" on the back, somebody told me that the White House speechwriters had used MacArthur's surrender speech on the Missouri as a model. And they literally had in that speech "the guns are silent," and you edited it out.

SEC. RUMSFELD: I took "mission accomplished" out. I was in Baghdad, and I was given a draft of that thing to look at. And I just died, and I said my God, it's too conclusive. And I fixed it and sent it back..

MR. WOODWARD: were you on the trip?

SEC. RUMSFELD: I was. And we got it back and they fixed the speech, but not the sign.

MR. WOODWARD: That's right. But it had "the guns are silent," and someone said you line-edited it out and said the guns are not silent.

SEC. RUMSFELD: Yeah, that's for darn sure.

MR. WOODWARD: Is that --

SEC. RUMSFELD: Yeah. No, there's no question but that I was well aware that things were still happening there. I was there.
I'm sure "the guns are silent" was referring to the carrier, too.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
The banner signified the completion of the carrier's deployment, which was 290 days, longer than any other nuclear-powered aircraft carrier in history. The banner did not refer to our commitment in Iraq, nor did the White House demand its display. It was a Navy show, giving proper praise for a mission well done by the crew of the Abraham Lincoln
So why was "Mission Accomplished" in the president's speech when Rumsfeld got the advance copy of that speech while in Baghdad? Rumsfeld personally takes credit for removing the expression "Mission Accomplished" from the president's speech. But the Navy was not told to remove the White House banner. Therefore fax lines were busy posting spin to Rush Limbaugh types to tell the brown shirts. White House propagandists immediately proclaimed "Mission Accomplished" was the Navy's idea. Rumsfeld himself says that is not true.

So which should a brown shirt believe? The facts or the spin? Well the fact contradicts a political agenda. The spin is easier for brown shirts to swallow.

Ronald Cherrycoke. Rumsfeld says "Mission Accomplished" was in the president's speech AND that Rumsfeld removed that phrase from the president's speech. Anything else is classic Limbaugh lies.

When do you start rebuilding your credibility? Rebuilding cannot happen when you parrot Limbaugh lies. Ironic – that’s the same Limbaugh who has so much contempt for the American soldier. Same Limbaugh whose job is to report the 'lie of the day'.

Last edited by tw; 02-09-2007 at 11:21 AM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I'm sorry, tw. Could you repeat that please?
Old 02-09-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
rkzenrage

You gotta' learn to read the subtext.
"Mission Accomplished, we are gonna' steal all their oil"
Old 02-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
Ronald Cherrycoke
Master Locutor

The banner signified the completion of the carrier's deployment, which was 290 days, longer than any other nuclear-powered aircraft carrier in history. The banner did not refer to our commitment in Iraq, nor did the White House demand its display. It was a Navy show, giving proper praise for a mission well done by the crew of the Abraham Lincoln.

It was about the aircraft carriers mission........
Old 02-10-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
It was about the aircraft carriers mission........
Would you care to elaborate on what, exactly, this great revelation of yours changes? As far as I am aware, the meaning behind the banner doesn't change any of the content of the speech that Bush gave beneath it, nor does it change the original speech that was to be given that Rumsfeld felt the need to edit.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:02 PM   #10
Ronald Cherrycoke
Master Locutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
Would you care to elaborate on what, exactly, this great revelation of yours changes? As far as I am aware, the meaning behind the banner doesn't change any of the content of the speech that Bush gave beneath it, nor does it change the original speech that was to be given that Rumsfeld felt the need to edit.
Cmdr. Conrad Chun, a Navy spokesman, defended the president's assertion.

"The banner was a Navy idea, the ship's idea," Chun said.

"The banner signified the successful completion of the ship's deployment," he said, noting the Abraham Lincoln was deployed 290 days, longer than any other nuclear-powered aircraft carrier in history.

Duh?....I guess a propaganda slogan by you and the left will always live on..in spite of facts.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #11
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Duh?....I guess a propaganda slogan by you and the left will always live on..in spite of facts.
Thanks for clearing that up, Ronnie. From here on out, I'll be laughing at how the "guns are silent" and that "major operations have ended" in Iraq.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #12
Happy Monkey

No it wasn't.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 02-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #13
Ronald Cherrycoke
Master Locutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
No it wasn't.

The president told reporters the sign was put up by the Navy, not the White House.

"I know it was attributed somehow to some ingenious advance man from my staff -- they weren't that ingenious, by the way," the president said Tuesday.

Bush offered the explanation after being asked whether his speech declaring an end to major combat in Iraq under the "Mission Accomplished" banner was premature, given that U.S. casualties in Iraq since then have surpassed those before it.

During the speech in May, Bush said, "The battle of Iraq is one victory in a war on terror that began on September 11, 2001, and still goes on."

White House spokesman Scott McClellan told CNN that in preparing for the speech, Navy officials on the carrier told Bush aides they wanted a "Mission Accomplished" banner, and the White House agreed to create it.

"We took care of the production of it," McClellan said. "We have people to do those things. But the Navy actually put it up."

Cmdr. Conrad Chun, a Navy spokesman, defended the president's assertion.

"The banner was a Navy idea, the ship's idea," Chun said.

"The banner signified the successful completion of the ship's deployment," he said, noting the Abraham Lincoln was deployed 290 days, longer than any other nuclear-powered aircraft carrier in history.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/....accomplished/
Old 02-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #14
Happy Monkey

I guess that's version 3.0 of the administration's story.

Quote:
Asked at a news conference whether the "Mission Accomplished" banner had been prematurely boastful, the president backed away from it, saying it had been put up by the sailors and airmen of the Lincoln to celebrate their homecoming after toppling Saddam's regime. Not long afterwards, the White House had to amend its account. The soldiers hadn't put up the sign; the White House had done the hoisting. It had also produced the banner — contrary to what senior White House officials had said for months. In the end, the White House conceded on those details, but declared them mere quibbles. The point was, they said, that the whole thing had been done at the request of the crewmembers. Even that explanation didn't sit well with some long-time Bush aides. "They (the White House) put up banners at every event that look just like that and we're supposed to believe that at this one it was the Navy that requested one?" asked a senior administration official. Others remember staffers boasting about how the president had been specifically positioned during his speech so that the banner would be captured in footage of his speech.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 02-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #15
Ronald Cherrycoke
Master Locutor

I guess that's version 3.0 of the administration's story.

Nah...that`s the MSM`s "Fake But Accurate" story....