The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 09-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
a rejection of broadly accepted conventions of cellar etiquette
this should be permitted at all times imo
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Quote:
a rejection of broadly accepted conventions of cellar etiquette
this should be permitted at all times imo
Are you suggesting anarchy? Chaos?

"I demand you delete that post, as I find it intolerably irritating."

Now, I wonder what will happen with this paradox I've set. A broadly accepted convention of cellar etiquette is that posts are not deleted. It is not universally so, many posts are deleted but they are almost always related to spam. Yet, if you "permit" my demand, the post will go away, my rejection of the convention will have triumphed. Your desire will also be granted.

We shall see.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Are you suggesting anarchy? Chaos?
For fux sake. No, I'm saying that you don't get to claim that your idea of what "conventions of cellar etiquette" are, means anything at all.

Always THINK

Never GROUP-THINK
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
For fux sake. No, I'm saying that you don't get to claim that your idea of what "conventions of cellar etiquette" are, means anything at all.

Always THINK

Never GROUP-THINK
ffs indeed.

conventions of cellar etiquette exist. I defy you to deny this.

I "THINK" that one of those conventions is that we refer to each other by the way each of us introduces ourselves. This self-naming, this self-definition happens all over the board, and all over the board those definitions are used, almost universally, as the person who has stated the definition has stated the definition.

As an example, we used to have a well established user name "Br****a". The person behind that user name (asked and had some administrator-level person) changed the user name to something completely different, Trilby. There is a convention, a widely accepted belief and/or action, to adopt this new name. This is considered good etiquette. It is not my idea. I am not making it up. I am not "defining" it, I am pointing it out. Its meaning is that it exists.

Many times there are multiple names, nicknames if you will, that are also used. There are conventions around these names too. For example, you are sometimes referred to as UT; I am sometimes referred to as V. This convention is not a breach of cellar etiquette, but calling Lola Bunny or sexobon by their previous handle would be in bad etiquette since they've specifically asked to be disassociated with those descriptions. It's not me making it up, it's just me observing it. Specifically, deliberately, repeatedly disregarding a dwellar's reasonable request to be referred to in a particular way is a breach of etiquette. That IS my THINKING, irrespective of the group I'm in or not in.