The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-19-2005, 10:27 AM   #1
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

OMG! Somebody call Ripley's! Scycamore and I agree on something! I'm going to be cremated as well, but only because I don't like the idea of rotting...yeah, yeah, yeah, I know I'm going to be dead, and won't know it, but..just...ew.

My ick factor concerning the article was the whole bed thing. I went to funerals as a young child, and it was no big deal. But that's because it was a closure thing, I think. A bed isn't closure. A coffin is. A bed/coffin is like you're sitting around waiting for the person to die...and I know far too many parents who've told their kids, in an effor to explain death, that the person--or the pet--is "sleeping." These same people subsequently had problems getting their children to go to bed because the kids thought that if they went to sleep that they wouldn't wake up either.

A bed is associated with sleeping and waking. A coffin isn't. If you're having an all-adult funeral, I don't suppose there's a problem. Adults and older children, I would assume, already understand the concept of death. But I've been to funerals attended by young children who don't yet understand the concept, and I think a bed would just confuse and/or scare them. They may indeed think that the person is just sleeping, and when that person doesn't wake up, and is put in the ground, that could be a real freak-out.

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:43 AM   #2
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

At my great-grandmother's funeral, there was an open casket. My sister who was about 5 at the time kept touching the body. It was creepy.