The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 02-26-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

This is a cooking show?

I just watched an episode of Nigella Cooks on the Style network. A very attractive, busty middle-aged woman is giving no nonsense cooking advice. I almost hesitate to say recipes since she seems to shy away from exact amounts or temperatures.

I love it.

First of all, the woman is a hot looking English Jewish mother. It took me a while to get beyond that oxymoron.

Second of all, she has what appears to be a pretty busty figure that she hides behind 'stylishly frumpy' clothes like bulky sweaters.

Third, if you hear her talk about the sensuous pleasure of kneading bread or rubbing down a roast, you can pretty much make some assumptions.

Fourth, she can really cook.

In some ways, she reminds me of what I heard about Julia Child when she was young. Of course, Julia later joined the OSS (which later became the CIA), so there are limits to the comparison. Ms. Child did not appear on PBS until her 50's, so most Americans never saw her in her younger days. The reason I make the comparison between Ms. Lawson and Ms. Child is that they both would knock off, relax, and have a glass of wine while the food cooked. This whole 'once you put it in the oven, knock off for a bit and relax' attitude is meant to remind everyone that while cooking involves skill and effort, good food is meant to be pleasurable and cooking does not always have to be a chore.

Links - official website
smarmy english pop article

Oh, and anyone who feels secure enough to turn down an 'Order of the British Empire', has my vote.

Quote:
while Lawson, rejected an OBE offered in 2001 for her "services to journalism and to cookery".
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 02-26-2005 at 12:58 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 01:58 PM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Yup--that's a great figure!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Yup--that's a great figure!
I think the guy who set up this shot had it down.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 02-26-2005, 02:16 PM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I think she looks perfect--isn't it funny how the English article describes her as sexy/pretty in a "Boticelli" way? I don't think she's over-the-top voluptuous--I think she's just right! We are so used to seeing the starved stars that when we see a good "what it should be" figure we overreach and say it's "full" or some other euphamism that means "not skinny like Calista". She looks just like a woman should look.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 02:32 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Tell me Rich, how did your big head like the show?
Old 02-26-2005, 03:35 PM   #6
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Tell me Rich, how did your big head like the show?
Almost as much as the 'little head'. I already said that she shys away from exact instructions. Now that I think about it, it's mostly the American shows that delve into 'food science' and the continental shows that are more touchy feely. If I want food knowledge I'll watch Alton Brown on Good Eats.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:12 PM   #7
Guyute
Gamehenge

Hot Hot Hot. And not in that 400 lbs of makeup type of hot. Just natural wholesome great features and smokin' bod. I couldn't care less if she couldn't even make tea biscuits...unless she had a voice like Fran Drescher.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:17 PM   #8
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

She's coming to KC to do a dinner/book signing event at one of our most posh, expensive restaurants...
Old 02-27-2005, 05:34 PM   #9
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

You gotta like a cooking show where it looks like cook likes to eat.

And nothing wrong with 'em fluffy either.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:38 PM   #10
russotto
Professor

She's also the daughter of former British Chancellor of the Exchequer Nigel Lawson.... who later wrote a best-seller called "Nigel Lawson's Diet Book".

And, as a good looking middle aged British woman, she's protected by the U.K. "endangered species" act; she may in fact be the only living example. :-)
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:54 PM   #11
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I like this pic:

I mean, who doesn't like muffins?
Old 02-28-2005, 04:13 PM   #12
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by russotto
And, as a good looking middle aged British woman, she's protected by the U.K. "endangered species" act; she may in fact be the only living example. :-)
Well, Victoria Beckham (formerly 'Posh Spice') is only 31 right now, so we'll have to judge 10 years from now.

What amazed me was that here is a Jewish woman on the BBC actually mentioning the fact that she was Jewish. There is not a lot of overt anti-Semitism in England, but I still found it unusual.