The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
SamIam

Angry This is just SO wrong!

OK, first a little background -

I fondly call my landlord the Slumlord. He owns several properties here in town and is lazy as well as a skinflint. Theoretically, in the summer, we are not even supposed to water the lawn because he doesn't want to pay the water bill. So, the yard in front of the fourplex I live in looks like hell - all burnt up and over grown with weeds. Finally, last summer, the city made him at least cut the weeds down and I started to water my portion of the lawn on the sly, so things got a little better - no thanks to Slumlord.

Slumlord also refuses to repair or replace window or door screens. All the screens have holes in them and let in every fly in the county. But Slumlord doesn't "do screens." He treats his other properties in town just as bad as he treats this one.

I guess he doesn't care because he doesn't live here - he and Mrs. Slumlord have a posh place in upscale Durango. Mrs. Slumlord is a lawyer and has her practice in Durango, also. So what I'm getting at is that Mr. and Mrs. Slumlord are doing quite well for themselves.

Well, last week my furnace decided to die. It made a bunch of weird, loud, clicking sounds and gave up the ghost. I called up the Slumlords and left a message that the furnace was no longer of this world and that I was getting pretty cold. This was over the weekend, and I didn't hear anything back from them until Monday (I wore lots of sweaters, meanwhile).

Monday morning, Mrs Slumlord calls me up all chirpy and tells me that she talked with a friend who works for an outfit funded by the state that helps low income people (ie me) who have heating emergencies during the winter months. In fact Mrs. Slumlord's office is in the very same building as the state outfit, and her friend had given her the application forms to give me to fill out to apply for emergency help as a low income, disabled person.

Mrs. Slumlord generously added that while we were waiting for the state to come through with a new furnace, Mr. Slumlord would drop off a couple of those oil filled heating thingies that run off electricity. (Electric bills here are listed in krugerrands, btw).

What? WAIT! I do not own this place. It is Mr. Slumlord's obligation to provide a functional furnace - not mine. When I leave here (which can't be soon enough), the furnace is not going with me. It will be Mr. Slumlord's property.

So, how can he take advantage of the fact that just because he has a low income tenant he can tap into this special state fund that is supposed to be for people in need, not fat cats?

I'd like to call up the state agency and demand to know just what is going on, but then again, I really don't want to be stuck paying the extravagant electric bills those oil heaters are wracking up even as I type this. But I am mad. REALLY mad!
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

what kind of furnace? Who paid for the fuel to make the house warm via the furnace?
Old 11-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

just start a fire ,
Ya gots to keep warm
Old 11-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
what kind of furnace? Who paid for the fuel to make the house warm via the furnace?
Gas. I pay for the gas with help from LEAP. But there's a big difference between helping me with my gas bill versus helping the landlord refurbish the apartments he owns. To my mind, anyhow.

@ Zip - I'd be very tempted if this wasn't a 4-plex.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
glatt

http://www.cobar.org/index.cfm/ID/17...ns-of-Tenants/

Quote:
Therefore, in Colorado, there is no implied promise from a landlord that the apartment or house is in a livable condition.
Colorado sucks. You should move your ass out of that evil state.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Sam, there are two things you should do right away.

1) Google Colorado Landlord-Tenant law (handbook)
Look for the sections on repairs and building codes...
heating/windows and the words "habitable" and "example letter"

2) Put everything in writing, and mail it US postage first class, unless the handbook says something different.

Having Mrs Landlord as an attorney does make your task somewhat more difficult,
but you too can/should get an attorney if you want to stay in this same place.
Usually, there are attorneys who will give one-time advise or
even write a letter or two on your behalf, without charge.

Best wishes for what may be a difficult journey ahead.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I don't think the state of Colorado (or the city if it's the citys funds) will subsidize a furnace for Mr. Slumlord's property. He isn't poor. It's HIS property - they can't use your living there as an excuse to get a property upgrade/update. He OWNS it - not you.

I can't imagine they think they can get a cheaper deal b/c you live there. the Furnace is NOT your responsibitity, as you well know.

Put your rent in escrow till they get it fixed.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
The Landlord’s Obligation to Repair

The terms of the lease determine the landlord’s obligation to repair the property. Otherwise, the landlord is obligated to repair the property only when:

• Gas burning equipment causes a hazard. A tenant is allowed to move out if repairs to defective and hazardous gas equipment are not made within 72 hours after notice to the landlord. (In such a situation, a tenant is entitled to a full refund of the deposit and a rent rebate)
What about this part glatt?
Old 11-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
But landlords must meet/exceed building codes,
and must follow HUD Regs, even in the State of Evil
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post

Thanks for the link, Glatt! Colorado IS an evil state. Other than Boulder and parts of Denver, Colorado is inhabited by all of Merc's best friends and the laws are written accordingly. I very seriously considered moving to Montana last summer. I may yet.

@Lamplighter - I don't think there is a handbook of Colorado Landlord/Tenant Law. You're right that the landlord in this case would have to follow HUD regs. But I've tried going through them on other questions and HUD is nothing if not Byzantine - very hard to find information from - at least for me.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Sam - Call the Gas company and tell them AND your landlord that you smell a gas leak.
That should get some attention!
Old 11-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #12
zippyt

Call yer senator , state rep , Alderman , Mayor , tell them Slum lord is trying to defraub the Gubment by forceing you to use Gubment funds to fix HIS Property ,
Id be ready to move fast there after , but i Bet some thing happens
Old 11-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #13
SamIam

Actually, I've been thinking of carefully saving all my documents, as well as a written account of what has transpired and using it for blackmail. Heh heh heh. So, Mr. Slumlord, don't you think my apartment should come with free cable, including HBO, Showtime, and all the other premium channels? It would give me something to do besides sitting around here and writing the papers and my state representative about this interesting transaction you've pulled off...
Old 11-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #14
zippyt

Hell call the channel 5 ( or what ever ) News ,
publicly embarrass him ,
Old 11-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #15
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt View Post
Hell call the channel 5 ( or what ever ) News ,
publicly embarrass him ,
^this one. There must be a "Channel Whatever on your side" around there? Hell, if not, I'll send you one, we have way too many here....