The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I can just imagine how my teeth would have looked if I could have ordered my new caps online, after making my dentist take the molds.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Umm, I like the highlights... and your bangs are cute.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Shawnee123

HA! That's an uglified photo of Elle McPherson I grabbed off google images.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin
Don't buy a camera, if you need photos, go to your local photographer and let him make a living (not a killing)
And yet, many professionals have countered the problem by charging more and more for the few people who are still willing to pay for their expertise. A wedding photographer nowadays will cost you a couple thousand dollars for a mere 4 hours of time, and then the photos are still their property and you get one copy of each and anyone else in the family who wants one has to pay $5 per photo. Which only leads to more people deciding to let their cousin do it for free.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

All the better really. I wouldn't want the agra of shooting a wedding for 15 thousand dollars.

The pros aren't countering the problem by over charging, they are passing along their real costs, believe it or not. And a good wedding photographer is a world of difference from a bad one or even a talented cousin.

Think about your industry. Is what you do really something that anyone can do? Are your standards higher than someone else's? Why should I pay a voice over actor anything when I can get my brother to do it for nothing?

On the other hand I just heard Maya Angelou narrating an explanation of the big bang and she may be all ms. poet, but she sucks as a narrator. Absolutely no sense of rhythm, every word was another brick in the wall.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
Shawnee123

I've heard Maya speak live, twice, and when it comes to things totally unlike the Big Bang...she is wonderful to hear speak.

You know, too, I remember my ex talking about what the band charged for events, or wedding receptions. He said no one thinks about hauling the shit around, sometimes up and down stairs, all the practice, the years learning the stuff...

Putting a high price tag on something doesn't make it quality, but for the most part, you pay more for the really good stuff...in just about anything.

On a much smaller level, I can pay a chick at Slash~n~Dash 3 bucks for a haircut (and I have!) but it's not going to be the nice cut I get for 17 bucks more...which will look a lot better and last a lot longer (good cuts always do) and so, it's worth it.

Glasses perhaps seem more disposable than your wedding pics. It depends on what is important to you. And people think "well, it's not like I'll have these glasses FOREVER." Yet good feeling and good fitting could lengthen the life of your glasses, I would think. No falling off and pushing them back on your face.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Yet good feeling and good fitting could lengthen the life of your glasses, I would think. No falling off and pushing them back on your face.
Possibly true, but will it make them last TEN times longer? Because that's how much more you are paying.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Possibly true, but will it make them last TEN times longer? Because that's how much more you are paying.
That's how much you can choose to pay. We just finished a sale where a complete pair of glasses started at $77.40, regularly $119.00. That includes my expertise, actually being able to try on frames, see how they look and fit before purchasing, measurements, ensuring the glasses were made correctly, custom fitting, guarantee to replace any broken frame or lens for a year, and future adjustments.

On the flip side, I've sold glasses that cost over $900.00 for one pair. They were really good ones.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post

A replacement headlight for a 2008 Buick Lucerne is $142.00. That's not high tech, either.
Actually it's quite high tech, just not customized for you specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Glasses perhaps seem more disposable than your wedding pics.
Definitely not.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #10
glatt

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
That's how much you can choose to pay. We just finished a sale where a complete pair of glasses started at $77.40, regularly $119.00.
You're proving my point for me. Your cheapest glasses are normally $120 and you ran a special where you could get them for $77.40.

eyebuydirect's cheapest glasses are $7.95. That's TEN times cheaper.

I know you add value, and I'm not arguing that point with you at all. But you charge ten times more for that value. Some people are going to decide it's not worth it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #11
Spexxvet

Quote:
...I know you add value, and I'm not arguing that point with you at all. But you charge ten times more for that value. Some people are going to decide it's not worth it.
Of course.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #12
Cloud

I looked into glasses online but with my astigmatism in one eye and the progressive lenses--I didn't think I could get the correct lenses for my eyes.

and that's too bad, 'cause I need a pair now. Normally they run me about $400-$500. Yes, it's a rip off.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #13
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
I looked into glasses online but with my astigmatism in one eye and the progressive lenses--I didn't think I could get the correct lenses for my eyes.

and that's too bad, 'cause I need a pair now. Normally they run me about $400-$500. Yes, it's a rip off.
What do you normally choose? Frame and progressive lenses start at $219 here.

ETA
And what's wrong with lined bifocals. That'll save you prolly $50.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #14
Cloud

I'm used to the progressives, and they look better. I also need the Transitions (light reactive)

My doctor is always like, Whoa! you have no pigment in your eyes. I can see all the way back to the back of the eye [insert medical term here for the back of the eye.] So, yeah, I need the Transitions.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #15
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
I'm used to the progressives, and they look better. I also need the Transitions (light reactive)

My doctor is always like, Whoa! you have no pigment in your eyes. I can see all the way back to the back of the eye [insert medical term here for the back of the eye.] So, yeah, I need the Transitions.
Coccons Over-Rx sunglasses and Coccoon clip-ons are both less expensive than Transitions, give you better control and protection than Transitions.