The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Quote:
Little mention is made of GWB's clause in Medicare Part D prohibiting Medicare from "negotiating" drug costs with pharmaceutical companies.

Some people with a hell of a lot of power, wayyyy up there in the world of big pharm, got this passed to make them a fuckton of money.

Talk about corruption!!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

free inpatient care and free emergency room care are both charity care.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

@ Stormie - Absolutely. Why can't that part alone get changed?
It would sure as heck save a boatload.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
@ Stormie - Absolutely. Why can't that part alone get changed?
It would sure as heck save a boatload.
that part alone ?

What about the "pre-existing conditions"... kept or trash ?
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

[quote=classicman;786911... Why can't that part alone get changed?
...[/QUOTE]
R-E-P-U-B-L-I-C-A-N-S
Old 01-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
classicman

I don't see where she said anything about that. Do you?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Lamplighter

Classic, I read the "Absolutely. Why can't that part alone get changed? " as your comment.
So, I'm asking if you feel the "pre-existing condition" aspect should be kept or deleted from Obamacare ?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
classicman

I guess my post was poorly written, but I was curious as to whether that particular piece,
or any for that matter could be changed. The point was regarding medicare, not Obamacare.
However with respect to you pre-existing question, no I don't think it should be changed.
May I ask why you brought that up. It seemed to come out of nowhere.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Lamplighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I guess my post was poorly written, but I was curious as to whether that particular piece,
or any for that matter could be changed. The point was regarding medicare, not Obamacare.
However with respect to you pre-existing question, no I don't think it should be changed.
May I ask why you brought that up. It seemed to come out of nowhere.
My bad ... a senior moment... I lumped the two programs together,
mainly because I don't really see Medicare and Obamacare as having separate or different goals.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #10
classicman

Quote:
Does anyone find it paradoxical that the salaries of patient-care staff
and the continued existence most hospitals' now depend upon
the US government's funding of Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, VA, etc.
Not really - I find it right in line with what this administration feels is the correct way to go.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Right, currently the hospital has to charge you $900 for a $2 thermometer, because they aren't getting paid by all the people with no insurance.

Under the new--and dare I suggest, better--plan, the hospital can now charge everyone normal prices, because the insurance company is paying them for every patient. And the health insurance company will be charging you $100 for nothing (assuming you don't get sick,) just like your auto insurance company is currently charging you $100 for nothing (assuming you don't get in a wreck.)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #12
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Right, currently the hospital has to charge you $900 for a $2 thermometer, because they aren't getting paid by all the people with no insurance.

Under the new--and dare I suggest, better--plan, the hospital can now charge everyone normal prices, because the insurance company is paying them for every patient. And the health insurance company will be charging you $100 for nothing (assuming you don't get sick,) just like your auto insurance company is currently charging you $100 for nothing (assuming you don't get in a wreck.)
My auto insurance has not risen 30% a year all the while increasing my deductible and covering less. Obamacare will do nothing to control what insurance companies are going to charge you.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
My auto insurance has not risen 30% a year all the while increasing my deductible and covering less.
Right. So let's examine that. Why are healthcare costs (and health insurance costs) in America rising faster than in almost any other field, whether it's inflation costs or taxes or wages or iPhones? And why does healthcare, insured or uninsured, still cost more in America for the same level of care than in any other wealthy, industrial nation? I think most people would agree it's not just a matter of getting what you're paying for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Obamacare will do nothing to control what insurance companies are going to charge you.
So the question becomes, HOW do we lower healthcare and insurance costs? Well, I guess the first question is SHOULD there be 'control', or at least an attempt to mitigate or lower healthcare costs? I unhesitatingly say, yes, there should be - i reject the notion that healthcare should be HARDER for the destitute to access, the notion that being poor means your only option is to just, well, be unproductive, suffer, and die if you get sick. So given that we're all paying too much for it, compared to other countries and to what we can afford (or what percentage of our incomes goes to paying for health insurance, compared to the past), how do we reduce costs without reducing quality of care?

I have been convinced both by living in a single-payer country and by the reams of economic and statistical evidence that a free-market system of health care, where your means and your means alone determine your health care, aside from any emotional or moral argument for universal coverage, introduces huge costs to the system when the uninsured require care, huge costs to the public when people get sick, languish, malinger, spread contagion, and otherwise suffer for lack of health care, and huge costs to healthy people as health care providers need more money from patients (thus from insurance companies (who then accordingly raise their rates)), to pay for the ones who aren't insured.

On top of the drawbacks to public health and to those WITH insurance or wealth, it is in the best interest of insurance companies to deny coverage in as many cases as possible - since profit is king, finding (legal if not legitimate) reasons not to pay policyholders is an advantage. With a single-payer system, where the government underwrites your insurance policy (which can be supplemented by private policies, but not replaced by, like a public option), we again get a collective risk/responsibility equation - but one where the scale and power of the government, coupled with the fact that the program would need to at best only break even, means that the delivery, to you, of quality, fast, efficient, cheap health care would be the #1 priority of both your insurer AND your doctor. Costs for the uninsured would also fall dramatically - I was not covered under Taiwan's single-payer system, as a foreigner, but for even relatively major things like root canals or ER visits, we would often pay out of pocket and find that it would literally not be worth submitting the claim to our insurance, once deductibles and processing and international mail were dealt with.

of course, obamacare isn't single-payer, or even public-option - it's only an individual mandate, the conservative (well, conservative until obama went for it and the right jumped ship) alternative to single-payer. I personally think that an individual mandate is a good thing for public health, but a better thing - too much so - for insurance companies, and leaves itself open to abuse. It might be better than things were, but it's just a teeny baby step, and one that leaves us more at the mercy of corporate health-care.

...and there is nothing else in obamacare to hate. Is there? Because the death panels are a lie. the end of "preexisting condition" denial is almost universally liked - if you have an argument against it please, by all means, out with it, but I can't possibly think of one. I agree with you that it's flawed and doesn't do enough to reign in costs, but is the solution just to dissolve it entirely? If you think it doesn't do enough, wouldn't you support MORE regulation, a STRONGER obamacare?
Old 01-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
Lamplighter

A very good discussion, Ibram.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #15
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
...and there is nothing else in obamacare to hate. Is there?
Sure there is, plenty.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/wtpapers/BadMedicineWP.pdf

Quote:
Because the death panels are a lie.
In name only, insurance companies already do that for you.

Quote:
the end of "preexisting condition" denial is almost universally liked -
Oh I agree with that as well. But you don't need obamacare to do that.

Quote:
I agree with you that it's flawed and doesn't do enough to reign in costs, but is the solution just to dissolve it entirely?
Yes. I would get rid of it entirely and start over.

Quote:
If you think it doesn't do enough, wouldn't you support MORE regulation, a STRONGER obamacare?
No.

Last edited by TheMercenary; 01-15-2012 at 06:27 AM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote