The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-29-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
nowhereman
sliding down the razor blade of life

6:21 AM in central CT - The wind is starting to pick up and it's misting a bit. I think it's supposed to get worse around noon. Being on the "uphill side" of the storm, we'll probably get more wind than rain. We have everything about as picked up and strapped down as possible, I even tied down my beehives with ratchet straps. Like foot3, we are in a weird weather area where most of the heavy stuff goes around us - somehow, I don't think that will happen this time. Got food, gas for the grill, scotch - we're ready.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
glatt

"The waiting is the hardest part." -Tom Petty

Fairly steady rain already but almost no wind. I don't care about the rain so much. We get a few puddles in our unfinished basement. But the potential wind scares me. Lots of mature trees around here and the power is certain to go out. Stupid overhead wires. I'd be happy to pay my share to bury them. And I would vote for a presidential candidate who ran on the platform of getting them buried.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Stupid overhead wires. I'd be happy to pay my share to bury them. And I would vote for a presidential candidate who ran on the platform of getting them buried.
I've been saying for years that we need a massive national energy infrastructure security investment. Think of the stimulative effects on the economy! Think of the health and safety improvements! think of the quality-of-life effects!
We live in a really very stormy nation. Why the fuck isn't it just OBVIOUS to put a lot of money into helping mitigate the common effects of that?

re:storm; the wind started picking up over the last half-hour or so. Still not very windy. It's overcast, but still pretty nice out, honestly.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
busterb
NSABFD

[quote=Ibby;836229]I've been saying for years.QUOTE] Humm.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
I've been saying for years that we need a massive national energy infrastructure security investment. Think of the stimulative effects on the economy! Think of the health and safety improvements! think of the quality-of-life effects!
Not just quality of life, there are significant measurable economic impacts every time the power goes out. It costs money, not just to get it turned back on, but in all the lost business. It should be a no brainer.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
Please guys use this thread to check in to let us all know you're safe and well.
Doing great, thanks, no weather problems here. Just a 7.7 earthquake up the road a bit. No biggie.

Quote:
Then it hit.

“It felt like a freight train was coming through my house. It was that loud.”

Chili leaped up and stared at her. Do something.

The 60-seconds of shaking felt like minutes to Duke.

“We’re used to small quakes, they feel like trucks going by. But this one continued to build and build.”

--snip--

In Queen Charlotte City, Mayor Kulesha met with fire chief Duke at RCMP headquarters. A state of emergency was declared. Firefighters, ambulance crews and other volunteers had thrown emergency vests over their Halloween costumes.

“One lady showed up in a cocktail dress and rubber boots,” said Kulesha.

Already firefighters were door-knocking on the shoreline homes, and using loudspeakers to clear the coastal town. A steady line of tail lights snaked up the logging roads to higher ground.

“I was really proud of everyone,” said Kulesha, adding the event was an opportunity to learn. “Communications for us is the largest issue. I think we need to have more discussion with the federal government about infrastructure.”

After the Southeast Asia Tsunami in 2004, the need for a Tsunami siren had become apparent; one is on order, but hasn’t been delivered yet.

In Terrace, reporter Killen stayed home for an hour or so. “We were worried the Skeena (River) was going to flood,” she said. When it became clear the threat was over, she went to a Halloween party — and it was a good one. “We all had something to talk about.”

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Major+ea...#ixzz2Ah8iZV8W
Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

wind and rain. Meh, it's ohio - far from the real action but we're getting hit by a snowstorm AND then the remnants of Sandy.

I feel for you guys. This looks like it's going to be nasty.

PS - foot: you're NORTH of VT? I always thought you were in the Fluffia or DC area...
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Good luck to all those affected by the storm. It's starting to look pretty scary.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I hope everyone stays safe.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Shit! Im out of milk, eggs and bread!

How could this happen!?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

How can you survive without teh emergency French toast?

I went shopping too late yesterday, and the bread shelf was picked clean except for one package each of hamburger buns and English muffins. So I'll be making do with English French muffin toasts.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Attack of the French Toast Gremlins?!

wait. I want to revise my reply. You answered it in the first word of your own post. Check your shit, Jim. You needn't bother to report the results, *pleasethankyouverrymuch*.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Just interrupted the young&restless to tell us a storm is coming.
The president is going to tell us.
Like we don 't know!
Scott Pelley isn 't coming thru - it's all breaking up.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

Wind is picking up in NEPA. Stay safe folks!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

It's very windy and rainy in Philly right now. I live in the Old City part of town, which I just found out has had its electric wires underground since...the beginning of electricity!

PECO did a major overhaul on our block's system a few years back, and we haven't had any outages since. Would be so nice if holds up through this awfulness.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote