The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
SamIam

Stay of execution

So, this morning when the owner of the Bates came in, I stopped him and asked him when I was scheduled to go to the guillotine because I really need to know what's going on. The owner looked at me funny when I brought up the guillotine thing, but he told me that I could work at the Bates for the "foreseeable future." That's a while, isn't it? A few more months at least?

On top of that the owner bestowed a job title upon me. Up to now, I've privately considered my job to be that of "temporary serf." However, the owner introduced me to someone this morning as "assistant relief desk manager." I'm a manager (assistant) now? My, my. I wonder what the owner is buttering me up for?

At any rate, this news has vastly improved my attitude - at least for now. Motel Maintenance Guy and I have even declared a truce since we discovered that we share a mutual dislike of Coworker.

Of course, I'm still working 14 hour shifts at minimum wage with no O.T. And the staying overnight thing for free has not been resolved. If Coworker wants to keep doing that, god bless her little boot licker soul. Better her than me. I'm just happy that I now have the opportunity to squirrel away money for gas and truck maintenance for next summer's escape adventures.

So, YAY! For the "foreseeable future," anyway.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

congratulations!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
I'm still working 14 hour shifts at minimum wage with no O.T.
You BETTER be documenting every moment of this and talk to an atty when the other shoe finally drops. Seriously.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
SamIam

TY, BigV!

@Classic - Oh, you bet. I've been around the block often enough to be wary of the "been down so long, it looks like up to me" attitude. The owner is getting exactly what he wants at the moment - an experienced employee who can do things like create and maintain databases, put together a Front Desk Procedures Manual, and organize 3 year's worth of guest records among other things. And all for minimum wage. Lucky for him that work is still very hard to find in this region. Lucky until I finally do get let go, or better yet, find a new job. Then he'll get a little surprise from the State of Colorado (and me).
Old 01-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Glad you still have your job. Now, go down the rec center and exercise some!
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
SamIam

Thanks, Ms. Bunny! I hate to admit it, but working 14 hour shifts wreaks havoc with my personal life, including my exercise program. On my days off, I sleep for 10 or more hours and try to clean up the chaos which inevitably has descended on my apartment, and before I know it, its back to the grind again. OK, I know those are excuses. Even twice a week at the rec center would get me started. Gotta do it.
How is your exercise plan going? When is Sarge going to get a sexy picture from you?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Whatever you do, DO NOT FORGET to remove your boss's name from that no-rental database.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
SamIam

LOL He got his name cleared when I was doing my final tweaking of the project yesterday.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
I'm a manager (assistant) now? My, my. I wonder what the owner is buttering me up for?
He's oficially making you management so you can't claim overtime, or any other rights the labor board might consider.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
SamIam

Good call, Bruce - wouldn't surprise me in the least. But wouldn't my supposed new status have to be in writing somewhere? I started that job in a very casual manner - didn't even fill out an app. Carmen just needed a warm body 14 hours a week, I was acquainted with Carmen's husband, and he gave her my phone number. The rest is history.

My pay stubs usually (not always) give the hours I supposedly worked for that pay period - anywhere from 14 hrs to 40 hrs. Anything over 40 doesn't show on my stub and is paid under the table.

As I recall from my days as an actual professional, my pay stub never mentioned the hours I worked - whether 5 or 50. As you noted, it didn't matter - pay was the same.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

as muddy as the waters may seem, at least you can now see your hand in front of your face there! congrats!

(oh and what bruce said)
Old 01-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
So, this morning when the owner of the Bates came in, I stopped him and asked him when I was scheduled to go to the guillotine because I really need to know what's going on.
You mentioned you know what a guillotine is. Therefore you might know how to operate one. That makes you officer material. Would explain a title promotion.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
classicman

Quote:
My pay stubs usually (not always) give the hours I supposedly worked for that pay period - anywhere from 14 hrs to 40 hrs. Anything over 40 doesn't show on my stub and is paid under the table.
Just thinking out loud here ...
Then you have nothing to prove you worked over 40 hours.
You will admit to being paid for the extra hours.
You have, of course paid the appropriate taxes on those extra earnings.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #14
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
You mentioned you know what a guillotine is. Therefore you might know how to operate one. That makes you officer material. Would explain a title promotion.
I think my major mistake was in actually being able to pronounce it properly.

@ Classic - I do have the copies I made of my weekly hours sheets before turning them in. The Bates is so primitive that hardly anything is computerized. As for taxes, I;m one of those low life working poor folk who don't earn enough to pay any Federal income tax.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #15
classicman

I was just trying to think ahead ... no worries then - I guess.