The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-13-2006, 10:52 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

3/13/2006: Urban coyotes

gmr2048 suggests this interesting item which was also Boing Boing'd. The new issue of Smithsonian Magazine looks at the increasing encroachment of coyote territory into urban areas. Sadly the article doesn't explain how the above shot came about, but apparently it may be something we see more often in suburbs. From the article:

Quote:
The expansion of coyotes into urban areas, though, is recent. Until the 1990s, the farthest that coyotes had ventured into Chicago was to forested reserves near the city limits. But "something happened," says Stan Gehrt, a wildlife biologist at Ohio State University, "something we don't completely understand." Within ten years the coyote population exploded, growing by more than 3,000 percent, and infiltrated the entire Chicago area. Gehrt found territorial packs of five to six coyotes, as well as lone individuals, called floaters, living in downtown Chicago. They traveled at night, crossing sidewalks and bridges, trotting along roads and ducking into culverts and underpasses. One pair raised pups in a drainage area between a day care facility and a public pool; a lone female spent the day resting in a tiny marsh near a busy downtown post office. Perhaps most surprising to Gehrt, Chicago's urban coyotes tended to live as long as their parkland counterparts. No one knows why coyotes are moving into cities, but Gehrt theorizes that shrewder, more human-tolerant coyotes are teaching urban survival skills to new generations.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
glatt

The food supply is certainly there. We have bunnies living in our neighborhood. Every time I pull into the driveway at night, I spook a few of them that are in the driveway. A neighbor told us last year that they saw a fox in our back yard. We don't live in the sticks either, we're well inside the beltway.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I saw a coyote trotting thru my mom's backyard and three-THREE!-deer leaping over a two lane boulevard. The coyote was very cool--they walk so differently from dogs. The have a sprite-ful, bouncy step.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I imagine coyotes in Chicago could live quite nicely on the rats alone...

A year ago, a coyote darted across three lanes of traffic and the median on Northbound US 71 Highway (my route to work, and the major North/South highway in the Western part of the State of Missouri). Emerging from the median beneath a guardrail, it was ironed out most definitively. One urban coyote bites the dust.

Its desiccated pelt *still* lays there beneath the guardrail. If I get stuck in traffic on the way home tonight, I'll take a picture of it as I pass by. At this point, it looks like a ratty rug with a snout.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
gerstle
some guy.

huh

Living in montana is definitely a little different than the rest of the states. It's easy to see why this is grabbing people's attention, but the couple of places i've lived in in montana have all had bears in downtown on more than one occasion. Not to mention the other, more common animals. It's pretty cool to see animals surviving and doing well while we continue to demolish their homes.
gerstle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:25 PM   #6
lawman
unerringly questioning

Yawn.. I've had:

black bears
moose
cariboo

in my back yard. and regularily see:

grizzlys
wolves
lynxes

while driving just outside town.

welcome to the far north!
lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:32 PM   #7
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I caught one raiding my garbage cans a few weeks back. You can sit out by the pond late at nite and hear them howl. They seem to be in chorus. A very beautiful but haunting sound. I still don't see how all my ducks a surviving. I reckon its because they are smart enough to stay very close to the water after dark.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:32 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

In Eastern PA, the coyotes are replacing the Red Foxes. Very tolerant of people and love kitty cats.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:02 PM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

They seem to cap a bigger one every year during our local coyote hunt. The Game Commision site says 62 pounds was the biggest but I think last years was in the seventies. eek

I'm not sure I'd be taking pictures with a kid right there...ours are getting more aggressive.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:09 PM   #10
FloridaDragon
... Maintaining ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
In Eastern PA, the coyotes are replacing the Red Foxes. Very tolerant of people and love kitty cats.
Yeah ... we always watched for them when we lived in CT. Warned my neighbors if they heard a shot out back it was probably me waxing a coyote that was looking too intently at our cats.

We actually thought we saw one down here this morning off in a field where there was obviously a dead animal and a lot of vultures .. but it could have been a large fox I guess as we saw it while doing 80 on the way to work.
FloridaDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:12 PM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
I'm not sure I'd be taking pictures with a kid right there...ours are getting more aggressive.
That kid doesn't look too bad.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:19 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

...for lunch.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:45 PM   #13
Mav
Lurker

offtopic but has the url changed? http://cellar.org/iotd.php just shows up blank in both firefox and ie6. I can view the forums normal, at cellar.org but IotD is just not there. Been that way for me since this past friday
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:53 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I get a blank on that link?
Old 03-13-2006, 08:57 PM   #15
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
That kid doesn't look too bad.
The Honda in the driveway behind her is a little fucked up, tho.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote