The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
jester
why so serious

Has anyone hear heard of "Personal Antivirus"? Apparently, it's a program that attaches to a computer and tries to get you, the consumer, to purchase their product. It's constantly "popping up" saying your computer is infected with miscellaneous viruses, etc.

We have Norton/Symantec - I ran that program and it didn't detect anything - maybe that's not good, cause it didn't say anything about this Personal Antivirus.

If anyone here does know anything about it - how can I get rid of it? I found instructions online from bleepingcomputer.com, but I don't know if that is "reputable" and don't want tol make it worse.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
Has anyone hear heard of "Personal Antivirus"? Apparently, it's a program that attaches to a computer and tries to get you, the consumer, to purchase their product. It's constantly "popping up"
A few summers ago, I monitored the internet for all incoming packets. Repeatedly found packets that say something like "Your computer has been found infected. Download this antivirus software..." These packets would arrive about every 40 minutes with a reply address that was traced to Northeast China.

Amazing how many times this spam routinely arrived to so many computers. Of course, even the Windows 98 machine ignored it because no 'Window' was waiting for a message addressing that port. IOW you may not know how many internet packets with such popups and other malware are routinely rejected by your machine even without Anti-virus protection.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote